Miami Has the Oldest Starting Defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jnozag, Sep 13, 2017.

1. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

2. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Matches the scheme we use that peaked and fizzled in the 90's.

3. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

Miss the days when we had Madison, Surtain, JT, ZT, Brock Marion, etc.

CA Dolfan and Michael Scott like this.
  4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Need to get some more youth in the pipe line and not 2 deep ceiling ones

5. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. We have Raekwon, Kiko, Branch, Suh, Godchaux, Taylor, Harris, X, Tank, Lippett, Jones, and Mcdonald for the next 2-3 years minimum. Sure we need more young talent like every team in the NFL, but our defensive talent today is better than everyone in our division during that time span, and there is no reason to think we won't add to that in the future. The AFC East is up for grabs now, NE's time is coming to an end in the very near future, possibly even this year. Belichick won't have Brady forever, and regardless of what some may believe, that is incredibly significant. NE is an offensive team now, their D is not as strong as it used to be. Nink was a big loss...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Yup an old defense a trademark of a Tannenbaum run team. Although the last 2 drafts have the potential to inject some serious youth into that defense.

7. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

We are starting to infuse some youthful talent in through the draft and some FA along with a few reaches in FA with age that we are still having to do because of the Ireland years. We have a pretty good mix, but depth is an issue. At least we are bringing in people that we can actually build on now. Ireland screwed this team so bad!

8. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Some incredible team colored sunglasses you've got there. Though I don't envy them.

royalshank and Jerrysanders like this.
  9. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Always thought this was a meaningless figure. The numbers are skewed greatly by Wake and Timmons. If it's that big of a deal replace Wake with Harris and have Wake come off the bench for 60% of the snaps. Timmons isn't in the team's long term picture. Plus having a defense that has an average age of 28 isn't a bad thing if they can play.

10. TannDaMan17

Lol, your pessimism amazes me. Because Dolphins, I know.

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

If Timmons isn't in the long term picture and I agree he's not they better get another piece that can play the nickel at lb. cause if they don't I'm afraid with Raekwon we may end up with what the saints are going thru with aj Klein to the perimeter of the field. Be ahead of the play and still not get there.

I'd buy some insurance.

And right now I'd have no plans of moving on from Timmons after this season. The cupboard is bare.

I'd like to see them get a youth range safety so tj McDonald can play more big nickel hopefully his signing doesn't mean that's off the table but I guess they may think Maurice smith could develop into a decent starter down the road. Lord knows Michael thomas isn't gonna do it.

I like the corner group youth wise boundary especially I think we have what we need youth wise there. Slot I'm not so sure

12. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

Yeah and NE has the oldest QB in the league but I'm sure 95% of the league would want him.

gunn34, fishfanmiami and Bumpus like this.
  13. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

It depends.

Can I sew him up in a burlap sack filled to his knees with concrete, and chuck him into the river?

14. ChrisTRD

ChrisTRD A True Fan

By all means

15. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Since Gase has arrived we are seeing a shift from that typical Tannenbaum approach. I feel Gase has a good influence in how this team is built and the direction it's going. More Gase and Grier less Tannenbaum.

16. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

I mean it's not like we have a choice, we guaranteed the entire 2 year contract.

17. TannDaMan17

Which was an excellent pick up.

18. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Wake ages like Wolverine though so you can't consider him old.

19. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

20. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Yeah it's mostly Wake. Not many teams have a 35 year old starter on defense. Let's hope he holds up because he's the only sure fire pass rusher we have. The rest are question marks.

21. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

Well you are the board's resident homer so I'm not surprised you feel that way, but it's obviously too early to judge one way or another. Timmons is on the decline though which is why Pittsburgh let a 10 year Steeler walk. Would be nice to have an out in his deal after a year like we had with Mario Williams.

22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

That's true and it's only one dress rehearsal
    Preseason game. But at least he looks like he has gas left in the tank. Looks the part.

23. TannDaMan17

Of course it would have been nice lol, so would have been drafting Tom Brady. But sometimes you need to pay up and take risks to improve your roster. To pass on Timmons because "it would have been nice to have an out" and "Timmons is on the decline" would have been incredibly stupid. Luckily for Dolfans, our front office isn't that dumb. Smart pick up.

24. TannDaMan17

We also have crap for talent at LB. Picking up Timmons was a no brainer good move for this club, unless of course, you are the type of person who just focuses on negatives...

25. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Hey its a process, 3 rookies on the Dline have me exicted, plus the corners are young, I get it on the linebackers and secondary are a bit old but really for the first time in a long time I believe we are finding players that will be successful. Thats what counts.

26. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Weren't we one of the youngest just a year ago?

kcbrown likes this.
  27. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

All we have to do is draft a good, rangy LB next year and all this talk goes away

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  28. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Those defenses failed consistently during the biggest moments. All I remember is the likes of Eric Moulds, Pierless Price, Lavernues Coles, Wayne Chrebet, Troy Brown, and Deion Branch having big days vs those teams.

29. TannDaMan17

Always felt like Madison was over-rated, and Surtain was under-rated.

rickd13 likes this.
  30. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

All these years of using high draft picks on the offensive line and its still suspect. We have neglected the defense via draft (except for this last draft) and this is the result. We have used band aids in free agency to address the defense (other than Suh obviously).

31. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

I agree 100%

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

There was 2 years there where Madison was the best corner in football. He wasnt Darrelle Revis in his prime level dominant but he had a top shelf run. Thing is though Madison fell off quicker than Patrick surtain.

phinphan4life and dolpns13 like this.
  33. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I agree. The F/O structure scared me, when most thought it be completely run by Tannenbaum. But since Gase was hired, it does seem he's more involved in the F/A side of things. The huge spending sprees he was known for in NY haven't come about with the exception of the Suh signing. It's been more about re-signing their own, Outside of Oliver Vernon. But it's been the shift in draft strategy that's been the most pleseant surprise. It's more about letting the board come to them and not going trade crazy. For what it's worth, perhaps Tannenbaum has truly changed, but I need more convincing. Another draft like the past 2 and finding the money to get Landry re-signed or a good return if traded-would go a long way in showing many of us, he's a team player now.

matt11390 likes this.
  34. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Old defenses get run on. Period. Ask George Allen why Czsonka gashed his "over the hill gang" in Super Bowl 7. After all these years this is still a truism.

35. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Charles Harris needs to develop into "the guy" because once Wake leaves, we have little left. We ranked 21st in sacks last year with only 33. When you look at how much we are paying Suh, we cannot afford to sign a top tier pass rusher. We will not be in the market for a guy like Ziggy Ansah and there isn't much else out there in 2018. They need to come through the draft.

Yes, we guaranteed Timmons two years but we also guaranteed Branch 2 full years (with a 2M dead hit in `19). That's more concerning for me with his 10M cap hit next year. We need more out of a weak side edge player than 6 sacks.

I believe we will be drafting another edge player high in 2018.

36. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

I'm not bothered by this because I strongly believe that Howard, Tankersely, Harris, Godchaux, and McMillan will be productive starters in this league. We will continue to add youth in the coming drafts, as our offense is set aside from the offensive line. Hopefully we set ourselves up to go defense in the first 2-3 rounds again.

Need at least one of those guys to become elite. I think Howard, Harris, and McMillan all have a shot.

37. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Your post is spot on. Branch and hopefully Wake are here for the next 2 years. When they re-signed Branch, it sure seemed like a 2 year deal, with the team releasing him after the 2nd yr. As for Wake, we'll all I can say or hope, is that Father Time doesn't catch up with him. Miami must develop Harris, who is a huge question mark after having what seemed like a sensational off season. Like you, I believe Miami will probably be drafting another DE or two, high in the 2018 draft. Miami can not afford to bank on any of the current DE on the roster for a variety of reasons. It's looking like a rebuild at that position in spite of Harris' selection. They are young at CB, relatively young at LB and deep at safety. To me DE stands out, as well as, slot CB and more depth at LB.

Eesti likes this.
  38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

They are only gonna have rotation snaps for another high pick edge in 2018 if William Hayes walks.

They won't be giving up on charles harris in one year no matter what he looks like.

39. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Either way, Miami is in a very fickle situation. They need to find another DE. Branch isn't worth that contract in terms of his production. At least he's there for at least 2 more years; Giving Miami time to either develop or find a replacement. Then you add Wakes age, and Hayes' potential to walk, perhaps because Miami doesn't have money to re-sign him. You can see the urgency.

40. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Wakes gonna have to fall off or sustain another season ending injury for them to get urgent about de. We are married to branch the next 2 years. Charles Harris gets 2 maybe 3 years too to show.

Wakes the only thing that could flip the script.

Miami could buy itself another year with Hayes or sign a cheap vet to fill.