Miami Moving to The ACC? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Moving to The ACC?

GridIron

Practice Squad
Reaction score
With the prospect of Miami moving to the ACC, which will intice Syracuse and Boston College to follow suit. This will make the conference a 12 team league and thus will bring about a conference championship. The thought of playing Florida State in such a game is extremely attractive. So my question is would you guys favor such a move? I've read that it doesn't favor the basketball league but I'm more for football and would welcome such a move.

I don't know, as long as Miami gets to beat FSU every year it doesn't really matter to me. Personally, I'd like to see 'em go to the SEC. That's a tough conference to play in. They would get more respect for winning games. If Miami goes from the 'Big Easy' as it's called to the ACC, it will only add to the argument that the Canes don't play anybody big except FSU. And FSU basically owns their conference. The Criminoles won the ACC crown for like 10 years or something before NC dethroned them last year. Also, NC is one of the teams not happy about Miami wanting to come to their conference, they're afraid it will be a Miami/FSU playoff game for the ACC crown every year.:cool:

The Big East is a better Conferece. But I can see how the prospect of a Miami/FSU Conference championship would be good. Both schools would get a lot of money.

The point is being missed here. The reason that a switch to the ACC is so attractive for the University of Miami is mostly financial. They have had outstanding football and baseball teams but their athletic department has actually lost money both of the last two years. A TV deal, along with a championship game at the end of the season will bring in millions of dollars. Also, the idea that Miami won't gain strength of schedule is ridiculous. CNNSI came out with their pre-season poll and 4 ACC teams are in the top 25 to 3 big east teams.
Also, Jaydog:
what are you talking about: NC dethroned FSU? You must be thinking of NC State because they have had 2 good seasons, but neither them nor North Carolina have won the ACC since FSU joined. Maryland won it in 2001, that's it. But I hope your wishes to see them join the SEC work out considering the SEC already is a 2 division big conference that would be completely uninterested in expanding any time soon.

Originally posted by brech10
The point is being missed here. The reason that a switch to the ACC is so attractive for the University of Miami is mostly financial. They have had outstanding football and baseball teams but their athletic department has actually lost money both of the last two years. A TV deal, along with a championship game at the end of the season will bring in millions of dollars. Also, the idea that Miami won't gain strength of schedule is ridiculous. CNNSI came out with their pre-season poll and 4 ACC teams are in the top 25 to 3 big east teams.
Also, Jaydog:
what are you talking about: NC dethroned FSU? You must be thinking of NC State because they have had 2 good seasons, but neither them nor North Carolina have won the ACC since FSU joined. Maryland won it in 2001, that's it. But I hope your wishes to see them join the SEC work out considering the SEC already is a 2 division big conference that would be completely uninterested in expanding any time soon.
The point wasn't why they were moving, the question was whether people would favor such a move. And yeah, my bad, it was Maryland I was thinking of.:cool:

If Miami moves to te ACC, I would hope that Syracuse and BC don't come as well. Both of those colleges aren't close at all to the furthest north ACC team (Maryland) so geographically it wouldn't make sense. Also, if Miami moves to the ACC, the Big East will absolutely suck as a football conference. Virginia Tech, who isn't bad but not great, would win the thing every year.

Also, the idea that Miami won't gain strength of schedule is ridiculous. CNNSI came out with their pre-season poll and 4 ACC teams are in the top 25 to 3 big east teams.
If Miami moves that will be 5 ACC teams vs. 2 Big East teams in that poll. Based on that alone will I favor such a move. I'm tired of playing in a week conference as well as all the complaints our proponents whine about Miami playing a soft schedual. This will not only strengthen Miami financially, it will further solidify our position as a premier football school, bar none.

Originally posted by GridIron

If Miami moves that will be 5 ACC teams vs. 2 Big East teams in that poll. Based on that alone will I favor such a move. I'm tired of playing in a week conference as well as all the complaints our proponents whine about Miami playing a soft schedual. This will not only strengthen Miami financially, it will further solidify our position as a premier football school, bar none.
I know, ain't it sad that the five national championships we have in the last 20 years isn't enough to show we our a premiere football school...........:rolleyes:

To the contrary, I believe Miami has more than solidified itself as a premier football school with this move or without it. It's just thinking financial now, and for good reason. One thing noted in some of these articles pertaining to this story is that, although football is all the talk, this is not a total football move by any means. This will bring UNC, Duke, Maryland, and the other ACC basketball powers to South Florida and undoubtably sell more tickets in the new basketball arena. This is also make the ACC the undisputed toughest conference in baseball adding UM to FSU, Wake, NC state, and host of other top 25 teams.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
If Miami moves to te ACC, I would hope that Syracuse and BC don't come as well.

The move depends on Miami and they would likely never make the move without hope that BC and Syracuse would make it as well. One of the main motives of this move is attaining a 12 team conference. They won't go without Miami, and ultimately, Miami would be upset if they made the move and did not get these 2 in it with them.

I don't think the ACC is a better football conference as well. Last year, in the Big East, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia were pretty good teams. I don't see how replacing those teams with Clemson, Maryland, and NC State will make Miami's schedule harder. Syracuse had a down year last year as well. If the ACC didn't have FSU, it would be considered a joke in football, oh wait, it already is. They lost four games and won the conference. In my mind, the ACC is not stronger than the Big East in football.

The Miami v. FSU game will mean even more now. That's all FSU needs is more pressure on the kicker.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I don't think the ACC is a better football conference as well. Last year, in the Big East, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia were pretty good teams. I don't see how replacing those teams with Clemson, Maryland, and NC State will make Miami's schedule harder. Syracuse had a down year last year as well. If the ACC didn't have FSU, it would be considered a joke in football, oh wait, it already is. They lost four games and won the conference. In my mind, the ACC is not stronger than the Big East in football.
Last year final ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll is as follows:

Big East
#2 Miami
#14 Virginia Tech
#18 Pittsburgh
#20 West Virginia

ACC
#11 N.C. State
#13 Maryland
#23 Florida State
#25 Virginia

That is four for each in the top 25. Bear in mind that Virginia who beat West Virginia in their final game (a bowl game), is a rising program as well as N.C. State. Like I said if Miami does move, also bringing BC and Syracuse, the ACC will be a lot stronger than what the Big East ever was.

To the contrary, I believe Miami has more than solidified itself as a premier football school with this move or without it. It's just thinking financial now, and for good reason.
I'm sure that is the only reason that is movtivating such a move. However, my point was that Miami, even with five national championships, always gets complaints that they did it on a soft schedual. A move like this will give proponents no excuses to how Miami got it done. If you look at it what would anyone say after we beat Florida State twice in a year. That is a tall order even if they are struggling. Not to mention all the other top 25 team we will face.

Being a seminole fan and playing miami every year anyway im excited about the possibility of miami moving into the acc. The acc is a better football confrence and with miami in the same confrence that would only intensify the rivalry. The rivalry is already easily one of the best in the nation anyways. Also acc baseball is easily the best in the country, and basketball speaks for itself. This would only be good for miami

Back
Top Bottom