Michael Schofield, Tackle/Guard | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Schofield, Tackle/Guard

HoneyB

Active Roster
Reaction score
In an effort to calm myself down, I started nosing around for right tackle and guard prospects that we could reasonably pick up. I kept coming across Michael Schofield.

bildeSiteC3Date20140502CategorySPORTS010-1.jpg

So....

Scout describes him as a "super sleeper."

Kiper likes him, and Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald has linked the Dolphins to him.

In Finheaven's VIP section, there was a nice profile by Silverfin, projecting him in the 3rd round:

Prospect: Michael Schofield, OT, Michigan

H/W: 6’6 ½“/301

Notable Combine Numbers: Arm Length - 34 inches; 10-yard split - 1.71 (40 - 5.01); Bench Press - N/A

Summary:

* Underrated athleticism
* Quick feet
* Day one starting right tackle
* Good length
* Has the frame to bulk up
* Good power as a run blocker; open holes
* Holds up well in pass protection
* Occasionally can get beaten by speed

As recently as May 2nd, Schofield's name appeared in an Ourlads mock, for the Dolphins, projecting him in the second round. That's probably high, but it shows you that NFL teams value him.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2014/05/02/miami-dolphins-7-round-mock-draft-3/

Ok, I am fine, now. Ready to draft a tackle AFTER the first round, now, just like Hickey is likely going to do.

I'm intrigued by Schofield and the kid from Ohio State. Who do you guys like better?

I have trouble with players like this. Schofield looks like such a klutz out there I want to pretend he's terrible. Even if guys like this are competent I can't get beyond how awkward they look.

I have trouble with players like this. Schofield looks like such a klutz out there I want to pretend he's terrible. Even if guys like this are competent I can't get beyond how awkward they look.

Who cares as long as he gets the job done!!!!

I'm not seeing a klutz out there. This is not Lane Johnson in terms of quick feet and fluidity of movement, but Schofield has some speed- the dude ran a 4.90 at the combine. He's tenacious, has some power, but he'll be thrown into a weight room for a year or so to bulk up that frame.

I will agree that he's not the smoothest looking athlete especially given his straight line speed, and I'd say the same for Taylor Lewan of the choppy kickslide. Dude ran a 4.87 but you wouldn't know watching him crabbing it outside in his mirroring.

For a "get it done" kind of RT if we miss in the first 4 rounds I'd look at Schofield. For a better athlete but maybe more of a finesse guy in the later rounds I'd look at Wesley Johnson. For a total package player who's an injury risk but seems healthy now I'd look at Matt Patchan, who I think could be a heck of a late round pick for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4KPM90LWwI

There are enough prospects out there to gamble on waiting...that is assuming the top 4 are gone and no trade down can get done.

Back
Top Bottom