Mini Camp Report....... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mini Camp Report.......

Dolphin Dan

Alright, MIAMI!
Reaction score
I flew down to Miami this past weekend as I do every year with my friend Miami Mike to get our first look at our beloved Dolphins and attend Mini Camp. Here are a few of my observastions.

1) Jay was better than AJ. This was probobly expected since Jay has a much better grasp of the system, but AJ REALLY struggled. He fumbled his first snap, his passes were wobbly and inaccurate and he only looked comfortable with short passes and swing stuff. Jay looked like Jay, which is Ok but not spectacular.

2) David Boston looked OK. He is still too big IMO. He def is the best compliment to CC that we have had in a long time though. Speaking of CC he made a really nice 1 handed catch on Sat.

3) The Oline looked good. I know you can't get much of a read on the Oline in non contact work, but the guys seemed to work well together and i am impressed withe the size of some of them, especially Jeno James. He looked really good.

4) Third WR could be a problem. Snoop Minnis looked Ok, and Newson and Simmons were average. Thompson showed himself to be slow but reliable. I am concerned here.

5) We are Thin at LB!!!!!! Eddie Moore is STILL not back all the way from the foot injury, which suprised me. Pope, the Rookie from Bama was TINY!!!! I can't believe he played LB in college. He was by far way too small to play LB in the league. I was very impressed with Tony Bua. He looked good and has a short compact body. I also liked the way he worked.

6) Our DB's looked very good. I think we are even stronger here than we have been which says something. I was impressed with Will poole and R Howard, and Yeramiah Bell looked good. Akins and Edwards are good safties too.

7) Donald Lee is a player. He is a GOOD # 2 TE. He made some plays. Randy was Randy, nothing short of Amazing.

8) Fred Russell looked good and I think he has a shot to make the team.

In closing the 2 things i am most worried about are the QB situation and the lack of quality depth at LB. I am still worried about the Line but must hold my Judgement of them until the pads come on. I also spoke to Drew Rosenhous and he thinks the OGun thing will get worked out. He also thinks that Pat Surtain and McMichael deserve new deals.

Just some obsevations. Thanks.

Dan, we were getting updates from folks that had been to the camps throughout the weekend, yours is very similar to most reports. Basically same concerns. Did you attend more than one session...most reports had AJ getting better after Sat am....??

Dolphin Dan said:
Wow, No Response. Sorry I guess my report sucked.

Nah, your report was good. Think it is a bit early to worry about AJ though.

Good Job. It was a good read. I am a little confused though. With all the people giving reports here there seems to be a difference in opinion on Feeley. Some say he looked good, some say he struggled. I guess that just shows that different eyes see different things. Damnit! I wish I lived in Miami. Anyone down there want to give me a job so I can moved south :D

Dolphin Dan said:
Wow, No Response. Sorry I guess my report sucked.

Hey dude, keep your head up and keep the reports coming!
Thanks a lot for your contribution...it means a lot to those of us who can't attend the camps.

Thanx for the report we up in the great white north appreciate it:) I'm not concerned about Feeley till Training camp comes along...If hes still struggling in TC then theres a real problem.

How can it hurt to bring in another QB (Collins or Warner)? Let the 4 QB's battle it out. The cream will rise to the top and you cut or trade the fourth worst (provided it's not Feely, who will be given a longer leash than the others because of the investment we have in him).

There are not many suitors for Collins' services out there. Oakland, Arizona and Us really. Those are the only places (maybe one or two more) where Collins has a legitimate shot at coming in and starting right away. We could use this as incentive to sign him to a one year deal and then we've got four solid QB's fighting for three spots:

Collins
Feely
Fiedler
Rosenfels

What is the downside to having better competition? Someone please tell me, cuz I don't see it, and frankly, we could be in real trouble if the QB situation isn't ironed out real soon.

I would love to see a scenario where Collins comes in, looks solid, but Feely beats him out for the starting job, Collins becomes our new number 2 with Sage or Jay the 3. That would make me feel a whole lot better. If it turns out that Feely just isn't ready, or that Collins just needed a decent Oline in front of him to get back to his NFC Championship form, then we go with Collins one, Feely two and Jay/Sage three. Finally if Jay can still beat out the other three, then I will finally concede that the guy deserves it. Hey, he beat out three other good QB's.

Thank you for your report.I don't ubnderstand why people are so surprise at Feeley performance.Is not like Feeley is a proven starter in this league.

Ah, no, how 'bout it's because he has to learn a new offense, with new players, new plays with no added pressure that this may be for the #1 spot?

Wow, and he's only had less then 2 weeks to prove himself. Damn, so of you are ridiculously critical.

Feely is going to be fine. For me that's not the point. I just believe you improve your chances of having quality at the QB position significantly by bringing in another starting caliber QB. There is no downside if you can get him to sign the one year contract because if he beats out Fiedler, we cut Jay and realize his contract savings. If Jay is good enough to beat out Collins, then so be it.

You're totally correct! Your report sucked!! Just kidding! Alot of people saw it the same way. There is an initial disappointment with Feeley. People expect too much too soon. The reason for these camps is to begin getting some timing down and getting familiar with each other. There's alot of new guys on Offense. Feeley will be fine, give him, Collier and Trestman some time.

Back
Top Bottom