More adjustment than football.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More adjustment than football....

O'townPhinFan

Phin Fan 4 Life!!!
Reaction score
Didn't see it posted. I don't think he will have a problem getting acclimated. Everyone seems to have an issue when they first get here from anywhere but here. Just a matter of time for him to get his feet under him and all that.... Well...here it is...No big deal from what I see...... He has plenty of time. I think this is just another one of those things where someone will look back and go.. "They were wrong to pass on Quinn". Like I said...everyone has an issue with the humidity when they get here.

Dolphins' Beck Doesn't Like Humidity

When JaMarcus Russell fumbles a snap during his first minicamp, it leads Total Access. When John Beck does it, nobody notices. Well, except me. Anyway, the Dolphins' quarterback of the future had a rocky start to his professional career:
Beck said one of his biggest adjustments was getting acclimated to South Florida's humid weather after playing at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah....

Beck let the 25-second clock expire twice during Friday morning's session and struggled Saturday afternoon, fumbling a snap and having a pass batted down at the line of scrimmage.​
Huh, that's a new one. I've never heard a player blame the weather for being too nice. Seriously, every rookie goes through this, usually during the first few practices. It's no biggie, and certainly isn't indicative of future success. But I don't think we should start breaking out the Dan Marino comparisons just yet either. (At least wait until the third week of the preseason.)

Meanwhile, there's still the little issue of who will be the team's quarterback in 2007. Beck took a lot of snaps at minicamp only because Daunte Culpepper is recovering from a knee injury and Trent Green is still in Kansas City. Maybe Miami can just run the single wing until this all gets resolved.

Link - http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/09/dolphins-beck-doesnt-like-humidity/

I lived in So. Fla. for 40 yrs and worked outside much of that time, then moved 5 yrs ago to the mountains of NC...I visit my son a couple of times a year now down there, and can tell you first hand, even after living in it for all that time, it takes a little getting used to when you come back into the humidity (in fact, for me it's almost unbearable). It's not something that will linger with him for or become an 'excuse' for poor performance. It does, however, take a little time to get used to how much to hydrate, etc to handle the heat and humidity...I wouldn't be too worried. Ball players have to be able to adjust to all kinds of weather, indoors and outdoors these days. Too much is made of the weather because it's the same for all teams. Sure, the Fins, for example may have a slight edge in December in Miami whereas Barfalo has a slight edge in December there, but it's all the same for every team...

I know it seems that a snap consists of nothing more than a guy putting his hands in close contact with another man’s privates to receive the football between the legs of that man. There are little nuances between the exchanges from center to QB that requires some acclimation. Though the humidity likely contributed to the mishandled snap, keep in mind, this was the first time the two men involved in this exchange had ever worked togetherâ€â€there’s bound to be a mistake or two. This is why it is such a big deal when a center is injured in a game and his backup has to come in and take over.

Think of it this way. John will have experienced the extremes of both dry and humid along with good and bad weather. This will help him play on the road in less than ideal (ideal as in Miami) weather. (I’ve watched John play in hot, cold, dry, humid, rain, snow, sun, night…he’s done it all.)

PS: Utah and Arizona are extremely arid, practically no humidity whatsoever, quite a big difference to South Florida. (Virtually no humidity is actually really nice in my opinion. …Arizona is still way too hot though).

Back
Top Bottom