My Offseason plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Offseason plan

XxJustinxX

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Just the basics of an offseason plan I thought of, this is with NO CBA:

1. Sign Karlos Dansby - The one guy everyone wants and the coverage linebacker we need. Not to shabby of a tackler either. Crowder will man the other ILB spot and will continue to be effective against the run. I know most people dont think we will pay Dansby as much as other teams but he really does fit what we need for an ILB.

2. Sign a WR. Im still not to sure on this yet, it really depends on who gets released (B.marsh,Ocho,VJ,Boldin) I think this would be the right time to go and get Boldin. A lot of people think he is on the decline(I disagree)He is only 29 years old and is a GREAT run blocking WR and a very good YAC guy. He would be perfect for this offense and given the new change of scenery and the challenge to help us improve he would have a great year. He would not cost much to get now if we had to trade for him and we expressed intrest in him last year. A 3rd round pick for Boldin would really end up being a steal for us in the end.

3.Release Joey Porter, Gibril Wilson, Torbor.

Ginn survives another year and gets a chance to *play next to a true #1* in Boldin (*just for all those Ginn supporters)

4. Draft: Trade down in first round to pick up 3rd rounder to replace the Boldin pick-up. Only trade down a few spots so we can draft:

Round 1 - Brandon Graham DE/OLB - This kid looks like he was built for the NFL. 100% on every play. He is great against the run and a beast at pass rushing. It would be awesome to have an OLB who can stop the run and passrush. His stock is most likely going to rise but I think we could get him anywhere between 13-20.

Round 2 - Cam Thomas NT/DT- Relatively unknown coming into the offseason Cam Thomas is starting to get noticed and in a league where a good 3-4 NT is always being looked for, and he will start to climb up the draft boards. Pending he has a good combine and such he could definitely move way up into the second round. If he does I would not be surprised to see Miami make a move to draft him. He would come in and compete for a starting job against Solai. This pick could be several other players such as T.Cody, D.Williams(prob. 1st), Gilyard, Spikes.

Round 3 - Nate Allen FS - He comes in and competes for a starting job against Clemons right away. Its a big risk not signing any Safeties in FA and then waiting till round 3 to draft one but I do believe Clemons or Allen could start and be effective for us.

Round 4 - Jimmy Graham TE - He would come in as a developmental TE but could very well get a starting job depending on what happens with Fasano. I see us signing Fasano to a 1 or 2 year deal. This would give Graham time to groom and learn the game a bit more.

Round 6-7: B.P.A.

5. Re-Sign Fasano to a short term deal
Re-sign Bess for a 3/4 year deal.
Re-sign Carpenter for a few years also.
Re-sign J.Taylor to a 1 year deal.
Re-Sign N.Jones to a 2 year deal.
Haynos,Moses, can be signed for more depth, or replaced with later draft picks.

Ronnie Brown will not be a Free agent with no CBA so the trifecta gives him 1 last year to prove himself (Health,production). If he stays healthy and produces, Re-sign him to a 2/3 year deal and draft RB in next years draft to replace Ricky.

6. Continue to Develop our young talent. With a full year of exp. under their belts V.Davis, S.smith, C.Henne,B.Hartline and C.Wake will all hopefully improve and help contribute more this year.

Cameron Wake will be someone to keep an eye on, him and Graham on the other side would be a nice combo with both getting to learn from J.Taylor(would rotate in with Wake).

S.Smith and V.Davis will improve and have some real help over the top :chuckle:. Both should start to mold into good/great corners. I really expect S.Smith's completion percentage to drop drastically and be one of the top cover corners in the league. V.Davis should also improve his cover skills but will be move loved for his physical play , tackling skills and playmaking ability.

Hartline/Bess will continue to develop and get good looks with Boldin and Ginn opening the field up. Henne will love having an actually dangerous WR core.

There might be some more minor FA signings for depth puposes but that should be it.

2010 Depth Chat
*I put ? if I wasnt sure the player would still be with the team*

Offense

QB- Chad Henne/Tyler Thigpen/Pat White
HB- Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams/Pat Cobbs
FB- Louska Polite/Lex Hilliard
WR1- Anquan Boldin/Ted Ginn
WR2-Brian Hartline/Greg Camarillo
SlotWR- Devon Bess
TE-Anthony Fasano/Jimmy Graham/Haynos?
LT- Jake Long
LG- Justin Smiley
C- Jake Grove/Joe Berger
RG- Donald Thomas/Nate Garner
LT- Vernon Carey

Defense
NT- Cam Thomas/Paul Solai
RDE- Randy Starks/Tony McDaniel/Lionel Dotson
LDE- Kendall Langford/Phillip Merling
ILB - Karlos Dansby/Channing Crowder/Akin Ayodele?
WOLB- Brandon Graham/Charlie Anderson/Eric Walden
SOLB-Jason Taylor/Cameron Wake
CB1-Sean Smith/Will Allen?
CB2- Vontae Davis/Nate Jones/Jason Allen?
SS- Yeremiah Bell/T.Culver
FS- Chris Clemons/Nate Allen​

K- Dan Carpenter
P- Brandon Fields
LS- John Denney
KR- Ted Ginn/Patrick Cobbs
PR- Devon Bess/Brian Hartline(may start)/Ginn again?:crazy:

I know some will be upset I didnt go after more FA's , but I think this is a more realistic offseason plan for our FO. Im pretty sure we would fill most our holes, (hopefully find a few 6-7th round sleepers) and would possibly put us in contention for a deep playoff push. I was also unsure of Will Allen, I think its a good posibility we keep him but we might attempt to trade him (Patsies?) to aquire a draft pick. Not sure though.

So what do you guys think? :thanks:

Just the basics of an offseason plan I thought of, this is with NO CBA:

1. Sign Karlos Dansby - The one guy everyone wants and the coverage linebacker we need. Not to shabby of a tackler either. Crowder will man the other ILB spot and will continue to be effective against the run. I know most people dont think we will pay Dansby as much as other teams but he really does fit what we need for an ILB.

2. Sign a WR. Im still not to sure on this yet, it really depends on who gets released (B.marsh,Ocho,VJ,Boldin) I think this would be the right time to go and get Boldin. A lot of people think he is on the decline(I disagree)He is only 29 years old and is a GREAT run blocking WR and a very good YAC guy. He would be perfect for this offense and given the new change of scenery and the challenge to help us improve he would have a great year. He would not cost much to get now if we had to trade for him and we expressed intrest in him last year. A 3rd round pick for Boldin would really end up being a steal for us in the end.

3.Release Joey Porter, Gibril Wilson, Torbor.

Ginn survives another year and gets a chance to *play next to a true #1* in Boldin (*just for all those Ginn supporters)

4. Draft: Trade down in first round to pick up 3rd rounder to replace the Boldin pick-up. Only trade down a few spots so we can draft:

Round 1 - Brandon Graham DE/OLB - This kid looks like he was built for the NFL. 100% on every play. He is great against the run and a beast at pass rushing. It would be awesome to have an OLB who can stop the run and passrush. His stock is most likely going to rise but I think we could get him anywhere between 13-20.

Round 2 - Cam Thomas NT/DT- Relatively unknown coming into the offseason Cam Thomas is starting to get noticed and in a league where a good 3-4 NT is always being looked for, and he will start to climb up the draft boards. Pending he has a good combine and such he could definitely move way up into the second round. If he does I would not be surprised to see Miami make a move to draft him. He would come in and compete for a starting job against Solai. This pick could be several other players such as T.Cody, D.Williams(prob. 1st), Gilyard, Spikes.

Round 3 - Nate Allen FS - He comes in and competes for a starting job against Clemons right away. Its a big risk not signing any Safeties in FA and then waiting till round 3 to draft one but I do believe Clemons or Allen could start and be effective for us.

Round 4 - Jimmy Graham TE - He would come in as a developmental TE but could very well get a starting job depending on what happens with Fasano. I see us signing Fasano to a 1 or 2 year deal. This would give Graham time to groom and learn the game a bit more.

Round 6-7: B.P.A.

5. Re-Sign Fasano to a short term deal
Re-sign Bess for a 3/4 year deal.
Re-sign Carpenter for a few years also.
Re-sign J.Taylor to a 1 year deal.
Re-Sign N.Jones to a 2 year deal.
Haynos,Moses, can be signed for more depth, or replaced with later draft picks.

Ronnie Brown will not be a Free agent with no CBA so the trifecta gives him 1 last year to prove himself (Health,production). If he stays healthy and produces, Re-sign him to a 2/3 year deal and draft RB in next years draft to replace Ricky.

6. Continue to Develop our young talent. With a full year of exp. under their belts V.Davis, S.smith, C.Henne,B.Hartline and C.Wake will all hopefully improve and help contribute more this year.

Cameron Wake will be someone to keep an eye on, him and Graham on the other side would be a nice combo with both getting to learn from J.Taylor(would rotate in with Wake).

S.Smith and V.Davis will improve and have some real help over the top :chuckle:. Both should start to mold into good/great corners. I really expect S.Smith's completion percentage to drop drastically and be one of the top cover corners in the league. V.Davis should also improve his cover skills but will be move loved for his physical play , tackling skills and playmaking ability.

Hartline/Bess will continue to develop and get good looks with Boldin and Ginn opening the field up. Henne will love having an actually dangerous WR core.

There might be some more minor FA signings for depth puposes but that should be it.

2010 Depth Chat
*I put ? if I wasnt sure the player would still be with the team*

Offense

QB- Chad Henne/Tyler Thigpen/Pat White
HB- Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams/Pat Cobbs
FB- Louska Polite/Lex Hilliard
WR1- Anquan Boldin/Ted Ginn
WR2-Brian Hartline/Greg Camarillo
SlotWR- Devon Bess
TE-Anthony Fasano/Jimmy Graham/Haynos?
LT- Jake Long
LG- Justin Smiley
C- Jake Grove/Joe Berger
RG- Donald Thomas/Nate Garner
LT- Vernon Carey

Defense
NT- Cam Thomas/Paul Solai
RDE- Randy Starks/Tony McDaniel/Lionel Dotson
LDE- Kendall Langford/Phillip Merling
ILB - Karlos Dansby/Channing Crowder/Akin Ayodele?
WOLB- Brandon Graham/Charlie Anderson/Eric Walden
SOLB-Jason Taylor/Cameron Wake
CB1-Sean Smith/Will Allen?
CB2- Vontae Davis/Nate Jones/Jason Allen?
SS- Yeremiah Bell/T.Culver
FS- Chris Clemons/Nate Allen​

K- Dan Carpenter
P- Brandon Fields
LS- John Denney
KR- Ted Ginn/Patrick Cobbs
PR- Devon Bess/Brian Hartline(may start)/Ginn again?:crazy:

I know some will be upset I didnt go after more FA's , but I think this is a more realistic offseason plan for our FO. Im pretty sure we would fill most our holes, (hopefully find a few 6-7th round sleepers) and would possibly put us in contention for a deep playoff push. I was also unsure of Will Allen, I think its a good posibility we keep him but we might attempt to trade him (Patsies?) to aquire a draft pick. Not sure though.

So what do you guys think? :thanks:

No way in H the Dolphins enter the bidding war Dansby. He is too old now to remain economically viable.

No way Boldin is available for a third. The Ravens and the Bengals would give at least a 2nd and a 6th and probably more.

Why just release Porter and Gibril Wilson. Porter can still play and the cap is no issue. His salary isn't (that) high.

Wilson graded out as the 15th best safety in the NFL last year; out of 87 rated. I agree about getting rid of him but why not at least get a pick for him.
Safeties that rated much worse than him are getting just as much and more money than him.

You reached like "The Rubberman" for your 1st and 2nd draft pick, besides Brandon Graham is too short for Parcell's and there isn't any reason to believe that he can cover any better than Cam Wake.

If you check some of the other threads on this site it sounds like Antrel Rolle is as good as a Dolphin already, so we don't need a rookie FS, we have Clemons.

I like Jimmy Graham's upside and 4th is about right.

This off -season doesn't really offer any realistic improvement.

Sorry, don't like it at all really. Dolphins need some improvement especially at ILB. All three, or four if you include Folsom, absolutely stink.

Give me MClain or Weatherspoon, or at least Dekoda Watson and Joe Pawelek.

2. Sign a WR. Im still not to sure on this yet, it really depends on who gets released (B.marsh,Ocho,VJ,Boldin) I think this would be the right time to go and get Boldin. A lot of people think he is on the decline(I disagree)He is only 29 years old and is a GREAT run blocking WR and a very good YAC guy. He would be perfect for this offense and given the new change of scenery and the challenge to help us improve he would have a great year. He would not cost much to get now if we had to trade for him and we expressed intrest in him last year. A 3rd round pick for Boldin would really end up being a steal for us in the end

I will never understand why anyone who follows football over the age of ten would or could think that B.Marshall or V.Jackson would ever get released let alone Boldin or O.Johnson. What benefit does it give those teams?

No player of BM and VJ calibre gets to another team for free, BM is not TO wearing out his welcome on his 3rd team. Every player you listed would have to be traded for, like you stated for Boldin. A.Bryant has a better chance to get here then any of those guys!

We will sign someone and all of finheaven will go crazy.
We will not sign someone and all of finheaven will go crazy.

Were not getting anything for Joey, what a 7th round pick? come on.

Wilson graded as the . . blah blah blah, what I saw was a FS getting beat constantly, drop that stupid contract of his while we have a chance. If a team wants to give us a 5th or something for him BY ALL MEANS, take it.

You reached like "The Rubberman" for your 1st and 2nd draft pick, besides Brandon Graham is too short for Parcell's and there isn't any reason to believe that he can cover any better than Cam Wake.

:facepalm: . . . This isnt based on what we know NOW, its just were I think they both will end up after the combine.But of course this FO never reached a round for a pick (Hartline?).

To 3rd: I was just throwing some of the big names up there everyone is "hopefull" for, I really think Boldin is what we can get, a 3rd and another draft pick would probaly get him. If not move on. The other big names are just the pipe dreams.

This off -season doesn't really offer any realistic improvement.

No because Dansby would not be an improvement over Akin/Torbor.
Too old to be valuable? Well hell is he only 28, what is anything over 25 too old now? .:crazy:

Boldin wouldnt get our WR core up to Par.

Graham couldnt do Joey Porters job.:lol2:

BUT if Antrell Rolle says he wants to play in Miami, THEN he will probaly be a Dolphin? I guess OchoCinco will be here next year too then, he actually called Marc Anthony!

Come on Elliot.

This was just the basics of an offseason plan, not including any depth pick-ups, and they might sign someone like Rolle too but what I posted was what I believe could actually occur come March/April.

Thanks for the input though guys :thanks:

I don't see how we could ever get Boldin for a 3rd rounder. Especially now that Warner is gone, AZ will keep him to help another QB develop unless they get a great offer. I don't see how replacing a veteran safety with a rookie (Allen) and 2nd year player (Clemons) will allow Smith and Davis to have better help over the top. I also don't think Cam Thomas would be a good pick. I don't think he's a dominating NT that would demand constant double-teams. It also wouldn't be the best value pick at that spot.

I do like the Dansby, Graham, and Graham moves though.

Thanks fgrocker for your input. I just see the Cards letting Boldin go or exploring a trade for him. Fitz, Breaston, and Doucett were all playing well and this is the year to trade Boldin if they want to get something in return.

Last year he was on the block for a 2nd and change. Miami also reportedly had intrest in him. I think his stock dropped a bit this year seeing he didnt have as many TD receptions. I would give a 2nd round pick in 2011 for him really. He fits our team so well. Big guy who LOVES to be physical and block.

I know I would get flak for the FS safety gamble I took, Rolle could very well step in but I really wouldnt be surprised to see N.Allen or Clemons start. We were willing to start a rookie corner next to 1 Vet.(eventually both started due to injury)

I know I have Cam Thomas really high (wheres the Cam Thomas support?!? I was counting on you guys! lol) but I do believe his stock will rise and we will take a chance on him. I like him over Cody at this point. He is a shade under 6'4" and is 330LB. Pretty good size for a NT. Depending on his Combine we might reach a bit but he would be worth it. He reminds a lot of people of Jason Ferguson.

Check him out if you havent yet: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport.../miami-dolphins-the-skinny-on-cam-thomas.html

Thanks for the input again!

1. No way we sign Dansby or any other high priced FA, it's always about money and we've lost the bidding war previously, ask Calvin Pace.

2. No way the Cards are accepting less than a 1st Rd. Pick for Boldin and no way Big Tuna is giving more than a 4th for any player, so again, we're out of the bidding war for a trade for Boldin, Marshall, Ocho or any other WR.

3. Porter's release almost for sure, not likely G. Wilson entering the second year of his deal and Torbor will be subject to camp war. Ginn will be given the chance to being a true #2 WR, the Trifecta and we all know he is not and will never be a #1 WR. They will give Hartline a chance to become what Ginn can't, with Bess being the next Wes Welker.

4. Your 1st rounder looks like a 2nd or 3rd according to scouting reports http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Brandon-Graham.php , no disrespect to the guy, seems good but not that good for a 1st. If at the 12th spot we can't land Alabama's R. McLain I can see Big Tuna trying to trade down to land Tennessee's NT Dan Williams or Penn State's DE/DT Jared Odrick. I like the Cam Thomas pick in 2nd Rd. depending on the previous pick. The rest of the draft we may be looking for upgrades on defense the most, but with this regime you never know for sure.

5. Fasano will not be re-signed, he wants big money and will take the best offer he can, and it will not be ours. Bess and Carpenters re-signings are priorities and should be musts. Taylor and Jones are valuable players and would really like to see them resigned. R. Brown is a highly productive player, I don't think of him as a fragile player but with very bad luck with injuries, or can you really blame him for S. Piscitelli lying from the back on his ankle causing his Lisfranc injury?

6. Our young talent has still lots of upside and we can expect more from them.

7. Your roster/depth chart is interesting, mostly because it has 50 players.

We can expect to find sleepers among minor FA signings or late round draft picks or even undrafted free agents, as we've seen in the past 2 seasons.

Dreamland: Uncapped Year:

Sign: Wilfork, Hampton, Peppers, Kearse, Van Den Bosch, Dansby, Bracket, Bullock, Bodden, Daunta Robinson. Miles Austin, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Kevin Mawae, Jahri Evans, Bobbie Williams, Rob Sims, Eugene Amano, Ben Watson and Owen Daniels.

Draft: C.J. Spiller, Jahvid Best, Anthony Dixon.

Trade the rest of the picks for next year's picks.

:-)

I may not agree with a lot of what OP had us doing, but if you look at his roster, there is significant improvement. Good job.

I may not agree with a lot of what OP had us doing, but if you look at his roster, there is significant improvement. Good job.

I agree. That was a very well thought out plan. The trade between getting Boldin and trading down and up to get Graham is a bit of a stretch, but if executed would work very well for us. Kudos.

1. There's no need to quote an entire post when it's that long.

2. There's no need to quote a post when it's RIGHT ABOVE YOURS.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

2. No way the Cards are accepting less than a 1st Rd. Pick for Boldin and no way Big Tuna is giving more than a 4th for any player, so again, we're out of the bidding war for a trade for Boldin, Marshall, Ocho or any other WR

Um, this post would have made more sense last year man, they lowered their asking price to a 2nd last offseason and now with Doucett playing well and Boldin coming up on his last year I believe they would take a 3rd rounder and maybe we throw in Peezy(doubtful).

G.Wilson signed a huge contract and didnt give results, with maybe our one real chance to dump his contract with no new CBA. Also if Fasano leaves I pretty sure we get a tender on him since he is a RFA, correct?

Your 1st rounder looks like a 2nd or 3rd according to scouting reports

No way, B.Graham is going to go in the first unless he has a horrible combine.

I have a feeling B.Grahams stock will rise right now I see him as a 15-20 but if he impresses enough he might be our pick @ 12. This would eliminate my trade down idea but seems to be a more realistic option at this point.

Thanks again guys!

Back
Top Bottom