National Enquierer's latest on OGUN | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

National Enquierer's latest on OGUN

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
CBA GLITCH LIMITS BALL, OGUNLEYE

At least two current NFL players have threatened to refrain from signing current contract offers until only six regular season games remain, since six games on the roster is the magic number for picking up a year's credit toward free agency.

Specifically, Chargers center Jason Ball intends to delay signing his one-year, exclusive rights tender, and Dolphins defensive end Adewale Ogunleye plans to delay signing his restricted free agent tender until the last possible minute, meaning holdout of up to ten weeks.

Ten weeks, however, could be three weeks too many.

A league source has pointed out to us a glitch in the collective bargaining agreement that could be used to prevent Ball and Ogunleye from picking up credit for 2004. Specifically, Article XXXII, Section 4(c)(iii) of the CBA permits players such as Ball (who has "two but less than three Accrued Seasons") and Ogunleye (an Article XIX Restricted Free Agent who has been given the required tender) to be placed on the so-called "roster exempt" list until the day following the third regular season game after he signs his contract, if he shows up after the fourth preseason game.

This means that, if Ball and/or Ogunleye show up after Week Ten in order to get their requisite six games, the Chargers and/or the Dolphins can drop them onto the roster exempt list and prevent them from meeting this goal.

The Miami Herald vaguely alludes to this dynamic in its Wednesday edition, but provides no details for its suggestion that the possibility of a "three-game suspension" would require Ogunleye to report after seven games instead of his original plan of missing ten. It's not a suspension per se, but placement on the roster exempt list operate in the same manner, keeping the player from getting paid and from getting credit for the three weeks that he spends on the roster exempt list after showing up.

In order to place a player on the roster exempt list, the team must give the player written notice of its intention to do so at least five days prior to the second preseason game.

Though the CBA seems to suggest that the exemption is automatic, the source has indicated that placement on the roster exempt list might require the exemption to be formally granted by the league office. (We'll get more info on this point.)

The source also told us that he is not aware of a team ever using the exemption to keep a player from qualifying for free agency.

"I do not recall ever seeing this done for this reason," the source said. "In the few instances I can recall, the exemption was granted in the early part of the season so a late reporting player -- or otherwise activated player such as from [the] Reserve/Left Squad

• -- can work out and the team gets to devote that
    roster spot to someone available to play. In these cases, there was enough of the season left that an accrued season was not in jeopardy."

In Ogunleye's case, the reduction of his tender by the Dolphins from $1.8 million to $412,000 suggests that the team will take advantage of any rules available to it under the current system.

In Ball's case, well, it's the Chargers. We're confident that they'll find a way to screw up their ability to screw him out of qualifying for restricted free agency in 2005.

What if O-Gun holds out the ten games, then sprains an ankle in the first game back? If unable to play again for 2-3 weeks, does he still get credit for those games?

O-Gun, don't be stupid man. Just take the tender money and play for a fat contract next year. There are so many ways you may lose out badly by what you are doing.

That option is not dirty pool. It's the contract. :)

The player is not suppose to be able to subvert the contract in his restricted year. Rosenhaus is a fool.

DON'T BACK OFF RICK!

If the player wants to receive the big check a year early, the big check is going to be a bit smaller.

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
What if O-Gun holds out the ten games, then sprains an ankle in the first game back? If unable to play again for 2-3 weeks, does he still get credit for those games?

Yes. The only way it would not count is for an non-football related injury.

Am I the only one backing Wale 100% on whatever he does? He should hold out if he doesn't get a new deal. Give the man his money or send him to a team who will.

ChambersOwnz84 said:
Am I the only one backing Wale 100% on whatever he does? He should hold out if he doesn't get a new deal. Give the man his money or send him to a team who will.

Adewale Ogunleye-New York Jets

You still support him? :)

I used to back OG, but recently I have been siding with RS and the front office. I am reminded of one small detail that everyone seems to forget..

OG has already signed a 3 year contract, 2 years ago. No one twisted his arm, Drew wasnt there telling him to hold out 10 weeks, both parties mutually agreed to the structure, both parties signed on the dotted line and now the player thinks he is too good for his britches, so now he wants more money.

I say, cut off all negotiations, if OG isnt present for the first day of training camp, then submit written notice that OG is in breach of the contract and throw him out on his fat azz......

Close the door, move on with the team and petition the other owners not to offer him a contract for one full season....

I believe if the owners can organize, this will put a stop to all re-neg attempts.

One last question for you all.. if OG had no sacks, no tackles and no assists last year.. would Rick be saying hey OG.. I want to re-neg the contract?? the answer is NO!!...

What gives OG the right to demand a new contract after a pretty good (not great and not super outstanding) year??? :roflmao: :roflmao:

ZOD said:
Adewale Ogunleye-New York Jets

You still support him? :)

I still support Santana Moss and Jonathon Vilma, so I guess. :)

ChambersOwnz84 said:

You know you just might be :D . Now, if this were JT, or ZT or someone else other than O-gun, you might have a shot at swaying me. I hate how the FO gets to cut players, etc. If you don't plan on paying a guy through his full contract, don't sign him through it.

But it works both ways. O-gun has been great, but he is flat out wrong to hold out like this. In any players case, he's being paid according to a contract he made. Now ESPECIALLY in O-gun's case, he should be MORE than thankful for Miami paying him. We tooka gamble on this guy. He got paid for 2 years, taking up a roster spot because we thought he had something. We didn't have to, no other teams were willing to do so, but we stepped up and tooka chance on him. Now, it's his turn to bite the bullet, and play out one stinking year just like he agreed. He owes us, not the other way around.

I think he should have already signed the earlier offer for 1yr/$1.8M? One of the reasons he is getting a good number of sacks is because of the attention paid to JT at the other end. From my understanding its not totally about the money but its about getting a longer contract (for better job and financial security). He has had 1-2 good seasons, and now he wants a 5-6yr contract (or however long) instead of a 1yr deal.

ChambersOwnz84 said:
I think you are about the only one backing him 100%. Why is he being such a baby over this issue? If he thinks he is so damn good, why not play one more year and cash in big time next year? The only good reason I can see him not wanting to do this is because he is afraid he may be injured and lose everything but he has a good health record and this (cross my fingers) shoudn't happen. I say kudos to the FO for sticking to their guns. If O-Gun wants to play hardball then let him sit the entire season and see how many teams are willing to step up next year with a huge contract. Damn Drew Rosnehaus, he's gotta be one of the biggest idiots around the NFL.

I think OG had a major knee injury already.

Also, with the lack of interest shown in the restricted market, you'd think he'd get the hint and sign at least for the tender. I know the FO was asing for 1st and 3rd round picks, but no team was willing to negotiate. Even the Bears balked at his contract offer, and they'll overpay anyone:D

Jeep said:
I used to back OG, but recently I have been siding with RS and the front office. I am reminded of one small detail that everyone seems to forget..

OG has already signed a 3 year contract, 2 years ago. No one twisted his arm, Drew wasnt there telling him to hold out 10 weeks, both parties mutually agreed to the structure, both parties signed on the dotted line and now the player thinks he is too good for his britches, so now he wants more money.

I say, cut off all negotiations, if OG isnt present for the first day of training camp, then submit written notice that OG is in breach of the contract and throw him out on his fat azz......

Close the door, move on with the team and petition the other owners not to offer him a contract for one full season....

I believe if the owners can organize, this will put a stop to all re-neg attempts.

One last question for you all.. if OG had no sacks, no tackles and no assists last year.. would Rick be saying hey OG.. I want to re-neg the contract?? the answer is NO!!...

What gives OG the right to demand a new contract after a pretty good (not great and not super outstanding) year??? :roflmao: :roflmao:
Is it 2002 again??? :confused: :confused: :infins:

Obviously the FO used the 1st and 3rd pick for OG as a way to test the market value of OG.....no takers....so therefor he is a very good player and should sign for very good money.......but NOT JT money!.......OG may have had his best year last year and he's trying to cash in on it because who knows what will happen this year!..also....could it be that he may be hiding something?.....and thinks that it may become apparent this season?..........Stick to your guns RS!!!.....

Back
Top Bottom