Need for Speed (Sirius Radio) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need for Speed (Sirius Radio)

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Every once in a while I get a chance to listen to Sirius Radio at work. I tuned in as they were talking about the Carolina versus Miami game. I believe it was Pat Kirwin and Brady Quinn. Here's basically what was said.

* The team has tried everything to light a fire under Phillips, but nothing has worked. Didn't call him a bust, but basically that's what they were saying.

* This has affected Suh's productivity. Mentioned that Godshaux has played pretty well as a rookie.

* Said Wake can still bring it on the edge.

* Teams have had a lot of success against the Dolphins on the perimeter, both in the passing game and running game. Said that the team lacks speed on defense, especially in the front seven.

* Wondered whether Miami could find something going forward to get the offense going. Said that without much of a running game that would be hard.

* Mentioned the need to build the offensive line.

* Said the wide receiver trio of Parker, Stills and Landry were among the better group in the NFL.

Nothing really new, but thought I'd share.

how about our edge rushers' inability to be physical against the run? It really is Suh and that's it

There is no deception in Gase offense. No attempt at trying to fool the defense. No counters, no legit motion, and almost zero play action.
Put in tape of the 1970's NFL and you'll see some deception and motion. Gase is awful.

It's the same play RB on the left side of the QB it's run to the right side, pass is almost always a 5-7 slant or (old school term - button hook).
ugh

The lack of team speed on defense has been a problem for years. I remember when Jimmy Johnson was the coach and the defense would fly to the ball.

I think Phillips has done a decent job this year. Really the defense has been fine overall and if you have any issues it's with linebackers or some coverage lapses. Could use a little more edge pressure too I guess.

The team speed on Defense is pretty bad. I couldn't believe if it wasn't for the Rookie DB Cam Newton was taking that long run to the house. No one was closing the gap on him..that includes the other DBs, LBs and Safety.

Cam ran a 4.60

Speed on defense needs to be addressed. I'm 50/50 on X. Howard right now. He seems to have good coverage quite often, but bad ball awareness. If this is a coachable issue great. If not, a number one corner would be first on my list. It's just too easy for opponents to make plays in the passing game against Miami. The corners aren't the only issue, but it's part of the problem.

I still think Miami is wasting Suh. Godchaux isn't bad, certainly an upgrade over Phillip. The problem is when teams double Suh no one else makes plays. In that sense, I believe the defensive line is overrated.

The lack of speed at linebacker is apparent as well.

All that said, I'd spend the majority of the teams' resources this offseason on fixing the offensive line. That is the one area that I think has held the team back the most.

OL needs a complete rebuild- Keep Tunsil and Larsen and move on.
A true all purpose RB is now a need
I like our WR core
TE I like JT and liked that goal line TE shovel pass, but we need to go more vertical down the middle. Room needs a draft pick, JT and Fasano might not/most likely will not be here next year

QB- It's not on all these guys but both QBs have been atrocious and the margin of error is slim as it is.

DL- It's so tough to judge these guys because the ball is out so fast that I can't really say one way or the
other if they have underachieved. That and constant 3 and outs to tire them out all year plus no bye week. I like our DT rotation, Wake is Wake still no question, Suh has played admirable given he gets 2-3 on him every play, 86% of the time. Branch has to step it up, or Harris, we need to give Wake some help.

LBs- Kiko in the zone coverages has killed us all year, I like him attacking more and now teams are just picking on it constantly. Rey has played decent, Timmons has slumped but still I like what I see from him and want him here.

CB/S- Tank has been solid for a rookie, X is getting picked on but still have faith, Bobby Mc has played surprisingly well this year, I like the safety combo for the future I know we need a true FS but we could use either one as a nickel lb and still have both on the field and get a solid FS for the deep ball. Playmaking is direly needed just to get some momentum.

Pertaining to the defense, the scheme is just off. We need to still have the threat of a blitz or cause some kind of hesitation because we're getting picked apart. We need a go to base package and just excel kind of like Seattle, although I don't know what that would be.

Phillips & Timmons looked like garbage on MNF....I will be very surprised to see if both will be in Dolphin uniforms next year

X has been a major disappointment almost wanted to see MaxWell replace him but i forgot we cut him.

Parker is probably the worst WR I have seen for YAC...Landry's value has been horrible the past 3 weeks kind of makes you not want to break the bank for him but then realize it has to do with not having Tannehill as well.

Our D-line has been horrible the past 3 weeks other then maybe Suh....Wake,Branch,Harris have made MINIUM IMPACT for their salary & draft pick.

William Hayes seems to make plays when he's on the field.

Timmons didn't look good the other night but no one did. Otherwise he's been excellent this year.

Early in the third quarter, when the game was out of reach, the defense folded. The offense can't keep putting the defense in horrible situations. What do you expect to happen, there just exhausted. There's enough talent on both sides of the ball that we don't have to panic but the schemes have been so basic that any defense can stop it. Gase can't call what he wants to call because of a crappy oline and a submarginal QB. That's the problem with the play calling. Last season the offense looked totally different with Tannehill.

Back
Top Bottom