Need some help from trusted Dolphin fans... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need some help from trusted Dolphin fans...

Elvis-fin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Guys/Gals,

Need some help. I have an old NFL 75th Anniversary jersey from 1994 that was signed by....well reportedly signed by Dan Marino. I am not a big authenticator of memorabilia so thought I would come to some folks who may have some good advice.
Here is the low-down of what I can tell you.
I got this jersey when I was stationed in San Antonio, Texas from a buddy who was a dealer in Comics and Comic book action figures. He needed some help creating an electronic database of his inventory and with my computer experience I helped him out. Instead of cash transaction, he asked what I would take as payment. Back then as I am now, still a big Dan Marino fan, so I said if he could get me a signed jersey that would suffice as payment. He paid $400.00 at the time for it from a dealer he knew in San Antonio. (Valley Collectibles)
Now this is what I know:
I know at one point in time Dan was under exclusive rights to Upper Deck, but don't know the time frame. I also know that Dan has changed his signature from back then, because I wondered if this was his signature, but always felt fairly confident that it was when I compared it to signatures from the 1995-1999 range.
What I hope is that some of you folks that may have more of a collection of knowledge of his signature and it's changes can help me in deciding if it's worth sending off to PSA/DNA for authentication to have more peace of mind.

Thanks,
Elvis-Fin

I think it's real, the signature is really close to the autographed football that I have.

Sorry man, but that is a fake. A bad fake even. This is what a real Marino autograph looks like:

a0_1JPG-1.jpg

Plus, if it was from Upper Deck, it should have come with an Upper Deck Authentication.

If you disagree with my assessment, send the jersey to these guys and let them settle it

http://www.psacard.com/

phintastic said:
Sorry man, but that is a fake. A bad fake even. This is what a real Marino autograph looks like:

http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/2b/0a/a0_1.JPG

Plus, if it was from Upper Deck, it should have come with an Upper Deck Authentication.

If you disagree with my assessment, send the jersey to these guys and let them settle it

http://www.psacard.com/

phinstastic,

It wasn't authenticated by UDA. I just know at one point in time Dan was under contract with UDA. When I got the jersey, all the signatures that I saw of his, looked similar to that. I know that in the past few years, he has changed his signature a little, because like your football, he has stopped writing "DAN" out and usually is "DMarino" with the "D&M" combined.

As for PSA, I want to send it to them, but didn't want to waste my time if several folks on here had a older signature of his that they know is authentic and could tell me their opinion.

Again, I have his signature of a card, but it's recent and I agree it doesn't look the same.....but this jersey was received by me back in 1994/1995 timeframe.

I guess I can just settle the matter and send it in.....I'll keep you guys posted.

Elvis

Send it in and solve it once and for all. I'd bet big bucks it's a fake. I wish it wasn't for your sake. GO PHINS!

Back
Top Bottom