New England works draft again..2-1sts round picks in 2012. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New England works draft again..2-1sts round picks in 2012.

Could you imagine how this board would react if we had two first round picks every year and just kept trading them away for picks in the next draft? I think people would be more pissed than they are now around here

The Pats have such a deep roster, they have no choice but to trade their choices for picks in future drafts. If they had used all their choices in this draft, they'd end up cutting some pretty good players eventually when getting down to a 53 man roster. It's admittedly a good problem to have, but for the Pats, it's a problem. There's just not enough room for all the good players they could be drafting.

I promise you..they have a PLAN,unlike our Moe,Larry and Curly running our team.
They are always in the hunt every year,while we flounder around....and yet you guys call them stupid.
I wish our team was that stupid.

What is their plan? They have had plenty of chances to use their picks this year to help out some serious needs on their defense, they spend 3 of those picks on two RBs and a QB who most likely will never play for that team..

The Pats have such a deep roster, they have no choice but to trade their choices for picks in future drafts. If they had used all their choices in this draft, they'd end up cutting some pretty good players eventually when getting down to a 53 man roster. It's admittedly a good problem to have, but for the Pats, it's a problem. There's just not enough room for all the good players they could be drafting.

They could have taken Corey Luiget and Cameron Heyward in round 1 with their two picks, you think one of them gets cut? No way.. Instead they take a project tackle and then trade for a late pick next season.. how about round 2? Jabaal Sheard, Akeem Ayars, Brooks Reed? Were lucky the Patriots like screwing around in the draft, or else we would never have a chance to beat them

They could have taken Corey Luiget and Cameron Heyward in round 1 with their two picks, you think one of them gets cut? No way.. Instead they take a project tackle and then trade for a late pick next season.. how about round 2? Jabaal Sheard, Akeem Ayars, Brooks Reed? Were lucky the Patriots like screwing around in the draft, or else we would never have a chance to beat them

No, neither of them would get cut, but someone else, making MUCH less $ would have to be cut to make room for them. The Pats are also predominately a veteran team (especially on offense). Adding more young players to an already young defense probably wouldn't make them a better team this year.

No, neither of them would get cut, but someone else, making MUCH less $ would have to be cut to make room for them. The Pats are also predominately a veteran team (especially on offense). Adding more young players to an already young defense probably wouldn't make them a better team this year.

Its not about just adding young players, its adding better ones.. you're basically saying that's its ok they didn't take any pass rushers because they wouldn't make a difference this year.. that doesn't make sense

This league wide man crush on Belicheat and the Patriots is tiresome!

Their draft was weak. The didn't address any of their teams weaknesses. Lets not forget that they are losing first round playoff games. Like someone said before, they are 100% dependent on the Brady to Welker duo. Mallet was a waste of a pick. Dowling was a non-help pick and the RB pick was retarded. Whats the point to have all these picks if you either dump them to next yrs draft (which the will probably approach like this one) or use them on picks like they did. Its just Belicheat trying to look like a draft genius, but in reality he screws it up.

Its not about just adding young players, its adding better ones.. you're basically saying that's its ok they didn't take any pass rushers because they wouldn't make a difference this year.. that doesn't make sense
I'm not saying it's ok or that I agree with it. I can see Belichik, a defensive minded coach who uses his veteran players to help keep the locker room on an even keel (and help keep the younger players in line), not wanting to lose more veteran players for younger, less disciplined players on defense. Especially on defense. His team finished last year as one of the best in the league. You don't go changing 1/5 of a team that was one of the best. If he used all his choices, and they all stuck, he'd have changed 1/5 of his team. That's not counting any free agents he plans on bringing in. Like I said, for a lower tiered team, it wouldn't be a problem. For the Pats, it's a problem, which is why they are constantly trading choices in the current draft for choices in future drafts.

lots of people dont seem to understand what the Pats are doing with their picks... The continaully move around and pick up additional picks... look at their drafts over the past three years, including 2011... 34 draft picks... its how they restock the team

You may argue all you want about the quality of their draft classes... some hit, some dont, thats the way it is
You may argue about who and what postions they draft vs their perceived needs, you may have a valid argument

but to argue that they are stoopid for not using all their picks and ride the for continually trading picks, moving up and down etc just says you have no concept of the value of the draft.

My thinking here was that with the lockout......the free agent period is really up in the air....you should grab as many of the unsigned guys as you can...some with pedigrees from the Big 10 or SEC. Just saying if we are playing it safe then play it safe to save their jobs next year.

I promise you..they have a PLAN,unlike our Moe,Larry and Curly running our team.
They are always in the hunt every year,while we flounder around....and yet you guys call them stupid.
I wish our team was that stupid.

Their always in the hunt every year because they have Tom Brady. Plain and simple.

Scott Pioli didn't get enough credit for the drafts the Pats had while he was GM, you will see the Pats drafts will not be as good as they have been in the past. If it wasn't for the fact that Belicheat used all his picks on the Gators last yr last yrs draft would have been a mess, this yr he didn't have the luxury.

Scott Pioli didn't get enough credit for the drafts the Pats had while he was GM, you will see the Pats drafts will not be as good as they have been in the past. If it wasn't for the fact that Belicheat used all his picks on the Gators last yr last yrs draft would have been a mess, this yr he didn't have the luxury.
Dimitroff as well. They lost both of them at basically the same time.

Who cares? Everyone made a big deal about them having two picks this year and that resulted in over drafting an OT when a top notch CB was available and then they trade away the other one. Guys crying that NE would get Ingram and they passed on him twice and still didn't get any real pass rush help. Big whoop, IMHO.

Yeah, other teams played them like a fiddle with the DE's in first rd. reaches for the first rb in second round. takes another TE! like #25th TE in 6 years. They will do just fine like always but its not like these guys are gonna upgrade anything. NE is like us in getting guys from other teams. Sometimes i wonder if he is just drafting guys who he knows will end up elsewhere while they take the woodheads of the world. still trying to figure belcheat out.

Back
Top Bottom