NFL wants hands off | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL wants hands off

WiGGy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-mully05.html

"Take, for example, an exchange during practice Monday between cornerback R.W. McQuarters and referee Walt Anderson after McQuarters was called for a penalty when he merely placed a hand on a receiver in the defensive backfield. It was a typical play you often see in the NFL in which the cornerback turns to see if the ball is coming after 15 yards or so and absentmindedly reaches out to feel the position of the receiver.

"I've been doing that my whole career,'' McQuarters complained to Anderson.

"You can't do it anymore,'' Anderson said."

Two coaches on the NFL rules commitee complained all offseason about aggressive play from defenders , can you guess who they were?

Classic overreaction by the NFL. One or two teams get away with murder in a televised game. Instead of focusing on better enforcing the rules, they neuter the entire league and change the way the game is called.

Muck said:
Classic overreaction by the NFL. One or two teams get away with murder in a televised game and they neuter the entire league.
Exactly ! I love offensive football and all, but its getting to where the defense cant do anything, its ridiculous. A little handchecking and this little stuff they need to let pass, dont let the receivers get mugged, but let the defense have a chance at least NFL, :shakeno:

New England Fin said:
I think this goes right back to Pats-Colts playoff game.

That's exactly it. Even manning said in his last inteview that they sent in the tapes from that game too the NFL to show what the patriots DB's were doing, and obviously the NFL heard them.

New England Fin said:
Obviously. I was watching that game a couple of days ago on the NFL channel and I was getting really pissed. The Patriots really mugged the crap out of Indy it was appalling. It wasn't enough the weather conditions were already Foxboro horrible giving an edge to the Patriots the refs let them get away with blatant holding 10-15-20 yards down the field. I can't believe Marvin didn't sock a ref that game.

The type of thing the Pats CBs were doing in the AFC champ game should be called. But a little hand checking to feel where the receiver is should be legal. There's a big difference between checking position and grabbing a handful of jersey.

Well it will hurt our cbs but how in the hell are they gonna be able to cover Boston?

New England Fin said:

You forgot the superbowl. The last drive had 2-3 missed muggings on a would be go ahead drive IIRC.

That's the scariest article I've ever read. The part about taking davantage of the 5 yards gave me hope because i was thinking we'll just shut them down right there but, if we do that and the QB throws a quick out, it's pass interference. I can see certain QBs taking advantage of that. So what it comes down to almost, is no contact whatsoever.

We could be looking at the end of man to man coverage. The end of press coverage. The end of Miami's style of pass defense.

This sucks.

Back
Top Bottom