Nhl | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nhl

t2thejz

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
The NHL is not doing so great as it is...and everybody saw what happened to baseball when they went on a strike. They are just recovering. If the NHL goes on one then they are screwed. Does anyone know any new info on the NHL strike?

I have not read or seen(TV) anything about the situation.
Personaly, I think NHL will never survive with the low talent in the league and the continuation of keeping thugs on teams.

t2thejz said:
The NHL is not doing so great as it is...and everybody saw what happened to baseball when they went on a strike. They are just recovering. If the NHL goes on one then they are screwed. Does anyone know any new info on the NHL strike?

The difference is baseball was popular when they went on strike and it took them years to recover, the NHL is as low as you can go and w/ a strike/lockout they could be doomed.

The NHL is done as we know it. It will change immensely by the time you see it again, If you ever see it again. The league is been trash as of late, I mean can you name a GREAT game in the past few years?

Prime Time said:
The NHL is done as we know it. It will change immensely by the time you see it again, If you ever see it again. The league is been trash as of late, I mean can you name a GREAT game in the past few years?

Are you kidding me PT? :lol: Are you talking about something that you dont know a lot about again? The NHL playoffs had some OUTSTANDING games in the playoffs....I am not a hardcore hockey fan, but ive watched enough to know what a good game is, and what is not a good game....

The NHL is doomed, I can agree with you on that.

The CBA expires on Sept. 15th and there haven't been any reports publically that negotiations are progressing let alone even meeting :( However, the NHL can still conduct business such as the draft this weekend. Teams can still make trades and sign FAs. I do not believe that it going to be termed a strike, but a lock-out by the owners who are trying to force changes in the CBA. They want "cost-certainty" (i.e. salary cap) but, as expected, the union is going to vehemently reject it. The revenues of the league clearly do not mesh with the expenses. The league does not have the TV contract like the other major sports. Players need to understand that and owners need to understand that they are just as guilty by not showing restraint when signing FAs. Case in poiunt, NY Rangers gave Bobby Holik $9 million/season when he wasn't worth any more than $5 million/season. This raises the salary level throughout the league and makes it more difficult on teams like the Sabres (or even the Panthers) who are not in media meccas like the Rangers.

My solution(s)

1) End guaranteed contracts (for owners) and lower UFA age from 31 to 30 or maybe 29 if a player has been with a team his entire career (for players)

2) Revenue sharing: Rangers, Flyers, and a few others have huge advantages in revenue sources due to local TV & radio rights. (Similiar to baseball and the Yankees)

3) Revamp entry level compensation (i.e. draft choices): Few draft choices make it to the pros in the year they are drafted, why do they get paid as such. Split-contracts for draft choices (minor league salaries in monirs and league minimum in pros plus incentives)

4) Change tender levels for players who miss an entire season. Case in point, C Tim Connolly of the Sabres (acquired as part of the Peca deal ) was injured in pre-season(concussion). He made $1.24 million and is just now starting to skate. The Sabres must offer him a 10% raise to retain his rights and that is $1.364 million. Yes, they can agree to lower level of compensation (minimum salary plus incentives), but with the CBA unsettled, that's not likely to happen. Sabres should be able to retain his rights for maybe 75% of previous salary or $930,000. This only applies to players who miss the entire season due to injury.

5) Change formula to increase minimum salaries.

I could go on, but the NHL is in crisis mode and they need to realize it. My friend and I share a 10 pack to Sabres games and I hope they continue to play

Back
Top Bottom