Nice article on Wade Smith at 310 pounds | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nice article on Wade Smith at 310 pounds

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Dolphins' Smith adds 15-good pounds this offseason By Alex Marvez

Ranked among the NFL's lightest left tackles as a rookie in 2003, Wade Smith weighs 310 pounds after gaining 15 this offseason.

If you go by what the media says, I was a Pro Bowl left tackle early in the year," Smith said. "The first half of the season, I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. But then you have a couple of bad games. ... You have to have an even keel. You can't bank on what the media is saying about you."

this s/help our running game. Making it harder to key on us running right all the time

dolphan39 said:
Dolphins' Smith adds 15-good pounds this offseason By Alex Marvez

this s/help our running game. Making it harder to key on us running right all the time
That's saying a lot right there..Other teams are already stacking the line for Ricky and the way Nails and Smith were playing on the left side, it was probably a 70 or 80% chance we were running to the right. Now, with a bulked up Smith and Jeno James on the left side, like you said, the other team will have to defend both sides of the field equally. :evil:

This guy got a lot of bad words from fans last year because of the Colts and Titans games. But what can you expect from a rookie LT? The guy was forced to start and he did his best, without any time to get adjusted to the NFL. I'm confident after this article, mostly the fact that he's bulked up.

Our O-line is taking shape, yay.

I've always been one of those who is confident in the future of Wade Smith. I always go back to the scene in the locker room after the Colts game. The guy looked like someone had ripped his soul out. But at the same time, he was a total man about it. A complete veteran. Surrounded by a horde of reporters sitting at his locker, Smith put the entire loss on his shoulders.

It's the accountability more than anything that impresses me about him. Total dedication.

Muck said:
I've always been one of those who is confident in the future of Wade Smith. I always go back to the scene in the locker room after the Colts game. The guy looked like someone had ripped his soul out. But at the same time, he was a total man about it. A complete veteran. Surrounded by a horde of reporters sitting at his locker, Smith put the entire loss on his shoulders.

It's the accountability more than anything that impresses me about him. Total dedication.

I got the samething from him as well..

inFINSible said:
TNow, with a bulked up Smith and Jeno James on the left side, like you said, the other team will have to defend both sides of the field equally. :evil:
exactly, James next to him alone makes him much better than add 10-15 pounds and Ricky can choose his path (or least our OC can)

I agree with inFinsible, the fact that we can now run the ball to the left adds yet another dimension to our offense. I dont have the numbers but it was obvious that we ran the ball alot more to the right side than the left, thus allowing the defense to plan around that well known fact. With the ability to run to either side this year as well as having the big play threat outside from both sides folks we are not looking bad. However I will not start claiming SB glory until I see them all play together in the preseason.

I don't remember the media ever saying anything good about Smith last year like he claims. I don't remember ever hearing a good thing about him, and it was for a good reason too since he was awful. Hopefully the muscle helps him improve because he was pretty bad last season. I understand that he was a rookie and was pretty raw, but he wasn't good.

A lot of people on here especially Fin-atic just don't understand how much a player can progress from year one to year two to year three. The make the same statements over and over like "how do we know our LT will be better," or "bring in a LT for insurance for Smith." The only insurance we need is if he's hurt. This guy is gonna be a suprise this year for us. People nail Feeley for not having a lot of game experience recently, but I like that because it means we haven't seen his best efforts yet. Same with smith, this guys only been playing LT, one of the most important positions in football, since his junior year in college. How can this guy not get better?

iceblizzard69 said:
I don't remember the media ever saying anything good about Smith last year like he claims. I don't remember ever hearing a good thing about him, and it was for a good reason too since he was awful. Hopefully the muscle helps him improve because he was pretty bad last season. I understand that he was a rookie and was pretty raw, but he wasn't good.

Sveral different press organizations had Wade Smith on their All-Rookie teams.

I hope he's not just getting heavier. He needs to get his feet moving better because freeney/kearse and them just BLEW past him like the ***** he was.

Just to follow up ... a quick, five-minute search revealed Smith made All-Rookie Teams announced by NFL.com, ESPN and Pro Football Weekly.

He wasn't as bad as some think...

He was a light rookie against most of the better DEs on the other teams. Any rookie is going to get schooled in that situation - so most of those who think he is awful are just dead wrong. He was a very good rookie who will improve this year because of time in the weight room - according to reports - and not at the all-you-can-eat buffet line, like some OL we know. A LT with good strength and good moves will be an asset - and they don't grow on trees and a lot of them who have been drafted in the first round have crashed and burned - (Mandarich, Walker, etc.) Anyone who judges such a position by a rookie year against some good DE needs to adjust their expectation level, or get real. The last time we had a rookie LT start, he spent the better part of a decade going to the Pro Bowl.

Wade was an undersized rookie with very little experience at T. The fact that he did as well as he did says a lot about his future. His only REALLY bad games last year came against 2 of the most feared DEs in the league, Kearse and Freeney. With the added strength, Jeno beside him, and a year's experience I think Wade will be fine. Probably not a perennial probowler, but a good, solid LT for years to come.

DrAstroZoom said:
Sveral different press organizations had Wade Smith on their All-Rookie teams.

The only reason why he made any all-rookie teams is because he started all 16 games. Smith was the only rookie to start at LT and I believe he was one of 2 (Jordan Gross) rookie tackles to start the whole season.

Just because Smith made the all-rookie teams doesn't mean he was productive. I think Smith has a lot of potential, but he was absolutely terrible. He was very raw and shouldn't have been playing but was forced to because Dixon got hurt. Smith only made the all-rookie teams because they couldn't put anyone else on them. He didn't deserve to be honored for his performance last season because he sucked.

Back
Top Bottom