Nice article on Wade Smith at 310 pounds | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nice article on Wade Smith at 310 pounds

A few months and peoples memory fades on just how bad he was. I am with iceblizzard on this until Smith can prove himself or fail. Wanny is going to put the season on the line with this unproven commodity. He ain't shiolah until he does it on the field, pure and simple!

Considering that he was the only Rookie left tackle who started 16 games. The other Right tackle was Jordan Gross for the panthers. Anyways, he had an awful year when it most matter. He's a rookie and he wasn't meant to play this position up until his sophomore year. I have good hopes for him.

I thought he held is own pretty well. Especially after those two tough games vs Kearse and Freeney. Had a nice showing after that.

He'll get better. With the increased strength will come better leverage and balance. He won't be knocked off balance nearly as much. And he'll be able to keep his technique.

Ah, inside every silver lining

lurks a dark cloud. It's so very safe to be an out and out pessimist. It's also very popular amongst those who are afraid they might be wrong about the future - who are afraid to get hopes up to high because they might be disappointed and all that stuff. But it's an absolutely atrocious way to view the world, or live one's life.

What amazed me is how well he played AFTER those two games. A lesser man would quit. Especially after hearing he was the best thing since sliced bread, the next Richmond Webb, to the worst player to ever start in the NFL, the next Billy Milner.

Muck said:
I've always been one of those who is confident in the future of Wade Smith. I always go back to the scene in the locker room after the Colts game. The guy looked like someone had ripped his soul out. But at the same time, he was a total man about it. A complete veteran. Surrounded by a horde of reporters sitting at his locker, Smith put the entire loss on his shoulders.

It's the accountability more than anything that impresses me about him. Total dedication.
Very nice point my friend, well stated !

RevRick said:
lurks a dark cloud. It's so very safe to be an out and out pessimist. It's also very popular amongst those who are afraid they might be wrong about the future - who are afraid to get hopes up to high because they might be disappointed and all that stuff. But it's an absolutely atrocious way to view the world, or live one's life.
:up:

Two words why Wade Smith looked bad last year: BRIAN GRIESE!

He looked like a premium tackle in the league until Griese, with his drops that were WAY too deep, and his complete lack of pocket awareness, entered the game.

Wade Smith's two biggest assets were he didn't get beat to the INSIDE, and he had a very quick and strong punch to send the pass-rusher around the backside of the pocket, and enough recovery speed to get in the way of the rusher and stop him before he could come up from behind.

With Griese the rusher didn't HAVE TO come up from behind, because he would just stand there like a sitting duck 11-15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Wade Smith has to work on his strength to get more push in the running game, and hopefully he can work on making his first step quicker, so he can tie up the faster DE's earlier. But, even if he keeps his skills the SAME as they were last year, he will not give up a lot of sacks with Feeley or Fiedler, because they both have short drops and more importantly understand the concept of STEPPING UP, unlike Griese.

wade should be vastly improved from last year.. hopefully

:evil:
iceblizzard69 said:
The only reason why he made any all-rookie teams is because he started all 16 games. Smith was the only rookie to start at LT and I believe he was one of 2 (Jordan Gross) rookie tackles to start the whole season.

Just because Smith made the all-rookie teams doesn't mean he was productive. I think Smith has a lot of potential, but he was absolutely terrible. He was very raw and shouldn't have been playing but was forced to because Dixon got hurt. Smith only made the all-rookie teams because they couldn't put anyone else on them. He didn't deserve to be honored for his performance last season because he sucked.
I agree and I really don't give a rats *** what his weight is as long as he doesn't cost the Dolphins any games next year like he did last year. :fire: :evil:

PHANTASTIC 34 said:
:evil: I agree and I really don't give a rats *** what his weight is as long as he doesn't cost the Dolphins any games next year like he did last year. :fire: :evil:

If you say Wade cost us the Indy game then you also have to put blame on Griese and Ricky. Griese took forever to throw the ball and Ricky was supposed to help with a double team on that last fumble. More blame should be put on Griese though, he took a 40 yard drop and sat there for 15 minutes.

Yep Muck you hit it on the head. Wade is a stand up guy and will say "Yeah I screwed that up" but he is also the type to work his tail off to get better and make sure it doesnt happen again. The mental toughness, the character and the desire are there.

Back
Top Bottom