OBJ To Sign With Phins From Ian Rappaport | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OBJ To Sign With Phins From Ian Rappaport

IMO it's b/c when people get bigger it's tougher to have great body control. Obviously there are exceptions, but they are few. As a result you don't get that bump in the ability to make contested catches some here expect just b/c a player is bigger. There are other factors of course, how fast somebody jumps, tracking the ball, etc., but IMO that body control is a big part of it. The sweet spot seems to be in that 6'0"- 6'2" range. That group statistically is the best at contested catches. But above and below that, the stats are pretty even and have been for a long time.

What's laughable is people trying to judge how good a receiver is based on one metric, height. Reality is that it takes many factors. Assuming that a player will be better at contested catches just b/c he's taller has been proven wrong many times.
This idea that we are looking for 'contested catches' when we say we are looking for size.

It's a straw man. Stop using the argument.

Camp should be fun.

OBJ's shuttle and cone times were otherworldly too. Any shuttle under 4.00 is excellent and puts you in about the 89th percentile. OBJ had a shuttle of 3.94. That is about the 90th percentile. Only one player at the 2024 Combine was under 4.00. His cone of 6.69 is about in the 93rd percentile. I've never found any player where they were that exceptional in both. Often, a player will hit it in one of those agility drills but be down around the 75th percentile in the other. The best 2024 Combine shuttle was by Myles Harden at 3.98, and his cone was 6.88. The best cone time was Karami Lassiter at 6.62 and his shuttle was only 4.12. Very few record a sub 4.00 shuttle and very few record a sub 6.70 cone, and Beckham did both. I liked how even though he was a highly-rated prospect, he was willing to compete at the Combine in every facet. Whereas our top 2 WRs this year didn't do anything but show up to be measured. Now, maybe as a young WR, OBJ was a bit of a diva, but these WRs at the top this year, Harrison and Nabers, are a whole 'nother level of diva IMO.
If I had my choice of a top WR from this draft, I'd want Odunze. He's all dog, no diva.

BTW, Schad is wrong on OBJ's Combine 40 time. It was 4.43 ET, and 4.38 HH.

Last edited:
He wasn’t cut, he signed a one year deal and was a FA. Baltimore wanted him back.
I thought the Ravens had an option for 2024, albeit at a much higher salary than he got from us, but they declined to take it, thus letting OBJ hit the open market.

I thought the Ravens had an option for 2024, albeit at a much higher salary than he got from us, but they declined to take it, thus letting OBJ hit the open market.

They took part of his cap hit in 2024 but it was a one year deal.

Looking at one example and thinking that's representative of entire class is why people don't understand statistics. People base their opinions on perceptions rather facts.

Here's a list of the contested catch percentage leaders for 2023:

Looking at all the WRs above 50% you end up with
5 below 6'0'
8 6'0"-6'1"
4 above 6'3"

If you look back at previous years you find similar percentages. It's the difference between perception and facts.

Even your example of Devante Parker is skewed by perception over facts. He was at 60% in 2023 but most years he's below 50/50 on contested catches. Last I saw his career percentage was just 51.6%. He had a couple of 60% seasons that edged his overall average up, but most seasons he's below average. You may perceive that he was quite good at making contested catches, but reality is that despite some highlight games, overall, he wasn't.
Again - what’s the definition of a contested catch? A big bodied guy has an advantage over a smaller guy when going up for a ball or boxing someone out on a curl for example. It’s true in pretty much every sport. A big goalie in hockey takes up more of the net than a smaller goaltender. Doesn’t mean the smaller guy is going to have lower save % or GAA. It just means that he has to play his angles with less margin for error than the bigger guy. Same in basketball and so on. Parker could climb the ladder much higher than Hill or Waddle. That doesn’t mean he’s better. It just means on certain throws he’s going to have an advantage over the smaller guy. The contested catch rate is not what we’re debating. I’m talking about physicals attributes leading to advantages on certain plays. To bring this home, we have no top WRs who can go up high. That’s likely to mean - if we call all of those fades again - we won’t be all that successful. You can’t honestly believe Tyreek Hill can bring down a fade in the EZ at the same proficiency as a much taller WR who can go up higher. This is all I’m saying - that it might come in handy to have a big bodied WR on this roster who can make the tough play for us as times.

What makes you think players drafted late would even make our loaded team? Both will likely be cut and maybe one will be on the PS
WR's are often drafted late and still able to make the team and contribute. It is probably the one position where high-end talent can be found late. For example, Stefon Diggs was a 5th rounder, and Gabe Davis was a 4th. There are many others. More than I care to take the time to list.

WR's are often drafted late and still able to make the team and contribute. It is probably the one position where high-end talent can be found late. For example, Stefon Diggs was a 5th rounder, and Gabe Davis was a 4th. There are many others. More than I care to take the time to list.
Aman Ra St Brown

That includes the 2019 tanking season where wins took a secondary role in the season's goals.
Oh so we're taking context into account? How about Mcdaniel dealing with backup and backup to backup QBs in year one? Or 12 different OL combos in year 2... ?

Back
Top Bottom