Odrick! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Odrick!

this sounds like philip merling 2.0. good player, bpa, blah blah blah. this guy better show us something better than just being a "good" player considering we had our choice of earl thomas, graham, or derrick morgan at 12 and then jerry hughes was sitting there at 28. number 40 will be huuuuge now. i would have been much happier with hughes (even kindle)/cody with our first two picks then taking a de/?? I pray to god odrick you make me eat crow and you turn into something great because im tired of being let down by our drafts year after year.

Could not agree more! Pretty much a flawless arguemnt against the pick right there.

Been my prediction for a while now. My only problem with the pick though is that either Odrick or Starks better be playing NT, or else this is a wasted pick.

DE: Langford
NT: Starks/Odrick
DE: Odrick/Starks
SOLB: Merling
SILB: Crowder
WILB: Dansby
WOLB: Wake

That's the only way this pick makes sense.

I know a lot of people don't want to see him starting this year at NT (at least until Ferg is back) but I'm all for Soliai being our guy until then since he can still improve after last year.

From the press conference it sounds like we wanted Spiller at 12

Lot of good points being made in support of the Odrick pick. We dropped down 16 spots and got a player who I have rated higher than at 2 to 5 of the top 10 players selected. Love the pick.

How could some of you guys not see this coming. He is a prototypical Parcells D-lineman. The guys a beast and had great practices during the Senior Bowl. He's was easily a top 20 player and we got him at #28. Nolan is going to have a field day with the options of the front 7 on defense. Great draft IMO, trading down, moving back into the 2nd round (8th pick!) not to mention we snagged another ILB in the process. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Could not agree more! Pretty much a flawless arguemnt against the pick right there.

there is a flaw in the argument. Jared Odrick is not Phillip Merling. Merling was a 4-3 strongside DE that ballooned after hernia surgery and was asked to play a new position that he was not ideally suited for. Odrick has been projected to be a very good 3-4 DE since he was a senior in high school.

I've watched Odrick play for 4 years in the Big 10. I watched him develop each year, and last year I watched him win Big 10 Defensive Plater of the Year. Not Brandon Graham, not Adrian Clayborn, not anybody on Ohio State. Odrick had an amazing season better than anybody not named Ndomnukong Suh.

Merling was a player that relied on his strength in college, Odrick has a lot of moves.

Odrick is a beast. Literally, a beast. What's to say Odrick can't play NT. What's to say he can't be like Jay Ratliff of the Cowboys? He's 6'4, 303. Hell, Jason Ferguson is listed at 6'3", 310.

I'll say he can't play NT. The dude needs to hit the weight room for about 3 years before he plays NT in a 3-4. He's a good player, but he's not a powerful guy.

I'll say he can't play NT. The dude needs to hit the weight room for about 3 years before he plays NT in a 3-4. He's a good player, but he's not a powerful guy.

Actually he is very powerful. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm assuming you're going off of his bench press numbers when deciding that he's not powerful. The thing is that he has those super long arms that make things like Bench Press more difficult. Guys with those long arms have a longer way to go, just like guys squating with long legs. He is plenty strong, and he get's rid of guys very easily at the POA.

Actually he is very powerful. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm assuming you're going off of his bench press numbers when deciding that he's not powerful. The thing is that he has those super long arms that make things like Bench Press more difficult. Guys with those long arms have a longer way to go, just like guys squating with long legs. He is plenty strong, and he get's rid of guys very easily at the POA.

I'm not worried about bench press too much for a NT. When you are talking about NT's that can squat and deadlift over 500lbs, Odrick is not that guy. Ordick is more of a slippery high-motor type imo. Its pretty well known he's not the strongest of players, but I'm not knocking the guy...its just an observation. He's definitely not our NT on 1st and 2nd downs.

I'll sift through the rest of the nonsense later. I like the pick, although I don't love it. Although in the back of my mind I knew that this was a guy that Miami was REALLY high on. My mind going into the pick was basically: "ANYBODY BUT SERGIO KINDLE!"

It will be interesting too see what Odrick's role will be considering the wealth of talent Miami has at the DL. Maybe Merling moves to SOLB? I don't know. Either way, Miami could've done a lot worse here. Let's not look this as Ted Ginn or Jamar Fletcher all over again.

Amen brother! you r right, reputation is mud right now...last yr they take white and turner early and this year they take odrick 1st?? wow
Odrick is a top 15 talent :rolleyes2: He's much better than Hughes. Much, much, much, much better than Kindle. Much, much better than Griffen. And much, much better than Cody. Odrick is a beast.

Back
Top Bottom