Off Dolphins Topic: Chargers Press Conference | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Off Dolphins Topic: Chargers Press Conference

L.T.21

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I know this is a Dolphins board but Ive gotten to know some of you pretty well and thought Id post this on a new thread. I know a couple in here who pull for the Chargers as their second favorite team in the NFL, similar to me pulling for the Fins (until we play you next year of course, then its fish fry time) ;-) I personally want to thank most of you in here for making me feel welcome on your board, its always fun hearing what other people think of our team. On top of that, you guys have some intelligent posters that know quite a bit about football. Its weird, I often find myself posting in here more often right now than our beloved SignOnSanDiego forum (must be the off-season).

Well with that diatribe being said, there's going to be a press conference today at 3pm PST with AJ Smith to address the Brees situation. I found it important to post a new thread simply b/c there has been a countless number of threads regarding Brees. Hopefully today we all will have a better picture of what will happen within the next couple of months and year.

Here is the official release:
[font=verdana, arial, geneva, san-serif]Smith to address offseason issues
[/font][font=verdana, arial, geneva, san-serif][size=-1]The Chargers have scheduled a press conference for 3 p.m. PST today at Chargers Park, where General Manager A.J. Smith will discuss issues and opportunities facing the team this offseason, including free agents such as quarterback Drew Brees. To listen live, click here (3 p.m. PST).

www.chargers.com to listen live to the conference.

Thanks again guys!

clear.gif

[/size][/font]

Hey thanks, LT,

If you could keep us posted with some infor for us who can't watch cause we are at work, I would really appreciate it.

What kind of time is 3 pst... The rest of the country is driving home around that time :)

There does seem to be a fascination for knowing whats going on with the Chargers.
The Brees/Rivers threads get a lot of reads.I suppose part of it due to the near miss on drafting Brees.Keep us abreast.LT.

nando03 said:
Hey thanks, LT,

If you could keep us posted with some infor for us who can't watch cause we are at work, I would really appreciate it.
You're at work, thats the best time to listen;-)
:wink:

I just read this on ESPN about Brees and today.

"On Thursday, the four-year veteran, coming off a breakout 2004 season, will stand among the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL.

In a move anticipated since before the conclusion of his Pro Bowl season, San Diego will designate Brees as a "franchise" player Thursday, all but assuring he will return for at least one more season. The franchise marker for a quarterback carries a qualifying offer of $8.078 million, the average of the salary-cap values for the league's five highest-paid players at the position.

The franchise marker would allow Brees to talk to other teams, but any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to compensate San Diego with a pair of first-round draft choices if the Chargers opted not to match the offer. Team officials are still considering designating Brees as an "exclusive franchise" player, which would mean he could not talk to other clubs and would receive a higher qualifying offer, with a value not determined until later in the spring."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1993547

I get the feeling that the press conference is about them putting the tag on him.

Anyway, I guess we will hear about it later. BTW 3pm PST is 6 or 7PM EST.

Those of us on the east coast...or should I say those of you who work normal hours on the east coast are just getting home at that time or are in the car on the way home.

I however will be getting off of work at 3 PM EST...so a little over a half and hour from now. Thankfully!

LT you are welcome here anytime!!!! Kudos to you for your outstanding insights and contributions to this site. You and clumpy are my 2 favorite non fin heads

It's funny, because I've noticed that there are a few teams outside of Miami that are similar to the DOlphins in terms of Franchises who have similar "character". Hard to explain but for me it boils down to good guy teams that seem to steer clear of the scumbag players ie Moss, Lewis etc.

As a die hard Dolphins fan, I respect these teams a lot: San Diego, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Like I said, it's hard to articulate why, but I see these teams as underdogs and the entire organization behind the teams as "good guys". So if my Phins aren't playing, and there's NO ramifications to my team whatsoever (ie we're out of the playoffs and one of these teams gets in), I'll root for them. SD especially. They're the little guy. From the AFL. Small town, and the fans are pretty cool, compared to those ridiculous Raider and Niner fans.

Conversely, I'll put my list of hated teams here too. I'm not including the obvious divisiion rival hatred for the Jets, Bills and Patriots. These are the crappy, "thug" organizations. This is only my opinion of course, but I believe ALOT of people agree with me on this one:

1. Raiders
2. Niners
3. Cowboys
4. Eagles

you'll notice that two of the top three most hated reside in Northern california. This bias might stem from the fact that I only get to see Miami play LIVE in SF, Oakland and San Diego and by FAR, the the No Calers are the most obnoxious fans I've met. SD fans are cool.

*I can recall having a heated discussion with a Niner fan in a rain storm at Candlestick over the classic who's the better QB - Dan or Joe. Miding my own business and this woman in front of me keeps turning around and heckling me throughout the game (we had season ticket seats I purchased on the internet). Of course it didn't help that the Dolphins got killed that day (this was 1999 I believe). Anyway, long story short, there is definitely a dividing line as far as organizations go.

Back
Top Bottom