Official 2009 Florida Marlins thread: The stadium is ours!!!!!!! | Page 53 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2009 Florida Marlins thread: The stadium is ours!!!!!!!

Sources: Valentine, Marlins talking

At a time when Bobby Valentine has begun the process of talking with teams about a possible return as a manager in Major League Baseball, sources said he is in communication with the Florida Marlins about a possible position with that team -- less than eight months after Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez received a two-year extension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4529494

Sadly, long term contract discussions between the Marlins and Josh Johnson have stalled, and the two sides seem to be heading towards a one year deal.

I really have a bad feeling Johnson's going to become another ex-Marlin before long, which is a shame because the Miami fan base deserves better. Don't get me wrong, the Marlins will NEVER be a big market team in the current economic landscape of Major League Baseball. They won't be able to financially compete with the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs and other "big market teams" of the sport. However, with that said, I do think they need to quit operating like a Major League Farm Team, developing players to a point where they become too good, then trading them off.

I see things ending this way with Johnson regretfully. I hope otherwise however, and that Loria ponies up and gives this guy what he wants financially, because I think outside of Lincecum, Cain and Felix Hernandez, he's one of the top pitchers under-25 in the sport.

It would be embarrassing if the Marlins cannot get a 4 year, $40-45 million deal done. It is slightly above Greinke money, and in today's baseball market, would be one of the biggest bargains, right next to the Hanley Ramirez's of the world.

I understand the marlins are tight on cash, but if you want to show that you are committed to winning and to showing your fanbase you care, you need to bring BOTH your star hitter and star pitcher into the new stadium. You cannot just hope that hype alone can sell tickets beyond the inaugural year of the stadium.

Sucks that the agent for JJ is the same agent for Nolasco, which means negotiations will be tough for him as well.

I should mention the Marlins have said they are going to offer Gload a 2 year contract around what Helms got ($1.8 million), so he should stay.

I love Gload, but if we are complaining about cash, we shouldn't be spending multi year contracts on guys who are bench players, just my opinion.

I should mention the Marlins have said they are going to offer Gload a 2 year contract around what Helms got ($1.8 million), so he should stay.

I love Gload, but if we are complaining about cash, we shouldn't be spending multi year contracts on guys who are bench players, just my opinion.

I agree..

Save the 1.8 million, put it towards re-signing Johnson and bid Gload adieu.

I also agree with your previous post, mentioning how it would be an embarrassment to the organization not to be able to offer Johnson a contract in the 4 for 45 range.

For too long, there's been a stigma about this franchise that they're "small market". I fail to buy it. I think Hanley was the first step, Johnson needs to be the second.

I reiterate, the Marlins will never be able to fiscally compete with the Yankees or Mets, but there's no reason they have to operate like a Quad A team either.

As for the new stadium, no matter how nice it is, and how much of a landscaping masterpiece it might be, if players continue to be ushered out of town every time they show glimpses of talent, the novelty of the new park will wear off.. Quickly.

I take a look at the Pirates, who play in what I consider to be the nicest ballpark not just in baseball, but all of sports. Yet, dispite this, the stadium sits at about 65 percent capacity on game day, because people are going to want to see stability for their dollar.

JA Happ shoulda won IMO. He did more for his team down the stretch and performed extremely well.

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't see alot of Happ down the stretch . . . but Coghlan was a monster all year. Didn't he lead the majors in hits after the all star break? He just was too good not to give him the award.

Back
Top Bottom