ogun and the rams? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ogun and the rams?

I like Wally as a player and I dont see him sitting this year or half A$$ing it either. He is in the final yera of the contract and that course of action would only hurt him. However if he does play for the current contract he will be a pain and will not resign under any situation. Therefore I see only two options that appeal to me.
1) resign him before the season if possible without loosing any top talent.
2) trade him before the season for at least a 1st rounder. Wouldn't it be nice to go into an offseason with more picks than average instead of less. We are always "so close" we constantly trade picks for talent and end up with average at best drafts. I for one would not cry if we lost Wally and went into next season with 2 #1s. Especially because one first round pick will be the 32nd ;)

With Little in big trouble it stands to reason the Rams might try and make a play for Ogunleye late in the game here using next year draft picks, but the thing is they have less cap space than we do.

ckparrothead said:
With Little in big trouble it stands to reason the Rams might try and make a play for Ogunleye late in the game here using next year draft picks, but the thing is they have less cap space than we do.

Do you know how much Little is sheduled to make? I bet he has a clause that if he does x-y or z he looses his contract and no cap hit. If so one could be arrested and go to jail especially after he killed someone already. What an A$$.

Is there any NFL legal standard that states, regardless of player's actual contract, if a player commits a felony or such and receives jail sentencing... that his contract becomes null/void. Anyone know?

It's my understanding, although I may well be wrong - Mr Clean will know - that Wally intends to sit out the first 11 weeks, and then play the last 6 so that he becomes a free agent. If he chooses to come into play after week 11, then Miami make him inactive for those 6 games, or puts him on the PUP list - after all this is a guy that will have not been in camp and not played - then I'm not sure that he is eligible to be a FA after all that.

I may of course be talking out of my backpassage and if that's the case then let me apologise in advance.

NathanHunt said:
Is there any NFL legal standard that states, regardless of player's actual contract, if a player commits a felony or such and receives jail sentencing... that his contract becomes null/void. Anyone know?

Teams often write language into contracts stating that portions of the signing bonus and/or salary must be returned in such an event, but I don't think it is standard....reserved for the high-risk players......or any Bengal...

Thanks Max.... but more specifically, does that players prorated salary cap numbers continue to be carried for the years PLAYED? Or does the NFL give a "pardon" to the team?

He might have that clause such as "conduct detrimental or whatever", but whatever signing bonus has been paid and not prorated would be counted against the cap this year. I don't know what that is, but it would be some kind of a hit against the cap if he were cut.

It's my understanding, although I may well be wrong - Mr Clean will know - that Wally intends to sit out the first 11 weeks, and then play the last 6 so that he becomes a free agent. If he chooses to come into play after week 11, then Miami make him inactive for those 6 games, or puts him on the PUP list - after all this is a guy that will have not been in camp and not played - then I'm not sure that he is eligible to be a FA after all that.

I may of course be talking out of my backpassage and if that's the case then let me apologise in advance.

I believe the short answer is you are wrong in this case. In order to be placed on the "Physically Unable to Perform" list, or on the "Injured Reserve" list, you would need to be well, physically unable to perform, or injured. Unless Miami hires a turk to go run Ogunleye over in front of his apartment, break his leg or something, Ogun will be neither injured nor unable to perform so he would just be on the roster and whether we activate him or not, he accrues the season.

Ogunleye SAYS he'll hold out. But I don't believe him. Too much to lose from his end compared to our end. He holds out he loses $1.6 to $1.7 million bucks of his own money in 2004. From our end, we just lose the services of our 2nd best DE on the team...and we replace him with a rotation that may or may not be just as effective as Ogunleye.

Not to mention, in 2005 and beyond he may lose considerably more money because teams could view him as a 27 year old malcontent problem player with reconstructive knee surgery in his past that hasn't played a down in over a year (because Miami should and probably will threaten that even when he comes back, he sits, unable to flash his wares to other teams). That just adds to the questions about Ogunleye. Teams already question whether the 25 sacks in 2 years is a fluke, because they saw almost the exact same production from Trace Armstrong before heading to Oakland and doing practically nothing after signing a big money deal.

Ok, you don't believe its Jason Taylor that makes our LDEs look good? Fine, then its the secondary. Either way, Miami has a knack for making DEs look good, and when they sign big money deals elsewhere, they TANK (Rich Owens, Lorenzo Bromell, Kenny Mixon, Trace Armstrong, etc).

This is mainly why no team was willing to give a 1st and 3rd for Ogunleye. Add a holdout to his resume, and he could see his value on the UFA market drop considerably instead of increasing. He wants to up the ante, play a little hardball now and threaten holdout, then the front office needs to let him know whats up.

If he holds out he'll be awefully lonely. Jason Taylor said it. He expects him to sign the one year tender. JT did it. Just about all other RFAs do it. Thats the way the system is set up. Why is Ogun special? If Ogun abandons his team, he'll lose a lot of friends and a lot of money. I insist that the holdout threat is not credible...its just a sign of desperation.

One consideration that Ogun must make is...what if his replacement posts 10 sacks opposite JT? Then Ogun will have sat out a year, lost a truckload of cash, pissed off his teammates & employers, irritated fans, & then been proven a product of our system.

Irregardless as to whether he actually has the talent & is deserving of the cash, the deal he gets from another team will be substantially less in that case....

Oboy said:
You are correct that Drew is supposed to do this, but I have heard of some real estate agents that are also supposed to present all offers, but will sort through all the offers and only present the ones they want to... So who knows if Drew does or does not follow all the rules. :confused:

Well, the thing about this is that DR would be taking a real risk behaving in that way. Real estate agents have large client bases, while the NFL is a small circle. If an agent screws with the teams too much, he's going to find it hard to work.

CK,

I just wanted to say that your analysis of how this plays out and mine are essentially the same except that I think the Dolphins do have enough to lose that they quite possibly may put a little extra money on a one year deal.

Back
Top Bottom