Olajuwon, Ewing, Riley selected as finalists for Hall of Fame | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olajuwon, Ewing, Riley selected as finalists for Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing, who battled for NCAA and NBA titles, and Miami Heat coach Pat Riley were selected as finalists Friday for the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Olajuwon and Ewing both played in three Final Fours, with Ewing's Georgetown team beating Olajuwon's Houston squad for the 1984 national championship. Olajuwon got his revenge as a pro, leading the Houston Rockets to the first of two straight titles with a seven-game victory over Ewing's New York Knicks in the 1994 NBA Finals.

Riley coached that New York team. He won four NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers, then grabbed another one two years ago with the Heat.

"Having Patrick Ewing inducted with me would be incredible," Riley said in a statement. "To have one of my favorite all-time players that I coached, be inducted at the same time, if it were possible for both of us, would have a special added meaning for me."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10646351/cbsnews

all 3 deserve it, I think ewing was a little overrated as a Pro but factor in his collegiate days and it's an easy choice.

I think Ewing, Olajuwon and Riley are locks to get in this year. I guess Dick Vitale makes it too, because he's been such a colorful personality on national TV for so long, and now he's had the misfortune of being sick lately. Nellie will probably get in too. Not sure about Dennis Johnson, he might get in because he passed away.

This is going to be a really solid class, that's for sure.

Finally, Ewing takes his place among the greats! In a golden era for centers the battles with Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, and Zo were epic. And from a personal standpoint its awesome to see the best Knicks player ever get inducted.

Finally, Ewing takes his place among the greats! In a golden era for centers the battles with Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, and Zo were epic. And from a personal standpoint its awesome to see the best Knicks player ever get inducted.

Wait a minute..how can you not think that Starbury is the best Knick Evah?

:nutkick:

Dude, Clyde Frazier's already in the Hall. Has been for some time.

Olajuwon, Ewing and Riles all deserve it, and I'm sure they'll get in easily. Good for them. Dennis Johnson should be inducted, too.

I feel bad for Adrian Dantley, who would be in if the Pistons hadn't swapped him for Mark Aguirre. As it is, he's remembered (unfairly) as a scoring machine who played for too many bad teams. Better than Orlando Woolridge and not as good as Bob McAdoo. It's not fair, but then, life often isn't.

Zo doesn't belong in that sentence.

Ewing and Olajuwon were two of my favorites when they played.....they don't make 'em like that anymore

Ewing got away with a lot of travels and walks in his career, it baffles me how many times i saw him score from a walk and the calls never seemed to be there. I think he was a great player, but i'm not sure i'd rank him inside the top 10 centers to ever play, and if he is it's probably at around 8? Never winning a title also hurts him.

Wait a minute..how can you not think that Starbury is the best Knick Evah?

:nutkick:
Starbucks is where you go to get coffee, he doesnt play basketball anymore. They also rob you for $3 a cup just like he robs the knicks for 20m a year

Boik... tell me again, why are you a Dolphins fan? All this Noo Yawk love... :err:
Cause Dan was the man. and I had a natural hatred of the Jets cause I cant stand losers.

Dude, Clyde Frazier's already in the Hall. Has been for some time.
Olajuwon, Ewing and Riles all deserve it, and I'm sure they'll get in easily. Good for them. Dennis Johnson should be inducted, too.

I feel bad for Adrian Dantley, who would be in if the Pistons hadn't swapped him for Mark Aguirre. As it is, he's remembered (unfairly) as a scoring machine who played for too many bad teams. Better than Orlando Woolridge and not as good as Bob McAdoo. It's not fair, but then, life often isn't.
Ewing > Clyde. Clyde got a ring cause he actually had a team around him not a grocery bagger (starks), a washed up Harper, and a guy who could make a layup (Charles Smith anyone...who by the way I cant believe they let him do games on the radio. If someones 4 missed layups prevented a finals appearance from my team hed never be working for me again). When ewing finally had a supporting cast, the brawl happened and that probably prevented another title shot.

Frazier got to play with 2 other HOFERS in Debusheurre and Reed, a senator (Bill Bradley) and the Zenmaster. Big difference in supporting cast.

Titles are not everything. And Ewing destroys Frazier statistically and for the period which the team maintained dominance. The knicks were contender for a decade+ with Ewing leading the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom