Olivier Vernon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Olivier Vernon

Dolphins Own

Dolphins fan since 2002
Reaction score
St Louis- 2 sacks(both huge drive killers, one to essentially end the game)
Jets- Defensive touchdown on blocked punt, blocked field goal
Colts- another blocked field goal

Gotta give the guy props :up: Solid pick. Doesn't need to be a huge playmaking DE, he's playing great as a role player. Gotta love it

Now that we have coaches that know what the hell they're doing, I think Ireland should just bring in the most freakish athletes they can find.

*bump*

Vernon had a great start to the season. But I have hardly even heard him mentioned in weeks, I don't remember a single sack (might be wrong) Is he injured? Or has he hit a rookie wall.

He is the reason i dont think we would select a DE in the first rd.

Another ham and egger picked by Ireland and we are trumpeting him?

Its amazing what we settle for now. I don't know what he will turn into but his best game and really his only game that he did anything defensivily was against st Louis. And one of those sacks was a free release and clear path to the qb.

mediocrity-1.jpg
Its amazing what we settle for now. I don't know what he will turn into but his best game and really his only game that he did anything defensivily was against st Louis. And one of those sacks was a free release and clear path to the qb.

Oh right, we should have drafted a rookie all-pro DE with a 3rd round pick that gets at least 12+ sacks his rookie year. What a bust and loser GM if we can't get Jason Pierre-Paul in the 3rd round. All of these blind homers just accept mediocrity and will never learn.

And I'm pretty sure thats a limbo bar in your pic....

Vernon's OK but I cringe when he tried to cover TEs. He got a PI penalty recently because he didn't have enough sense to turn around and let the ball come right to his mid-section.

It was the same trend in college. Vernon would flash for a game or two and look great doing it, leading to huge praise and great expectations. Then five or six games later you wondered what happened.

I may get some hate for this but I could just about count the number of good pass rush reps I've seen out of Olivier Vernon on one or two hands. It just so happened that one of the truly great reps he had was that killer sack at the end of the Rams game. Picked a great time for it.

To me he's the second coming of David Bowens. He's easily as good a special teams player as Bowens was, and he's also destined to be an "ok" outside linebacker type, like Bowens. But like Bowens, the pass rush skills are overrated.

You definitely hope to get more than that in the 3rd round. But he's not going to lose you games like a Jason Trusnik will lose you games. And in fact his special teams impact is so big you can actually sit back once or twice in a year and say hot damn this guy did something pretty big to help me win a game or two.

He is the reason i dont think we would select a DE in the first rd.

Vernon is okay but he needs time to develop. I think he can be a solid backup but I'm not convinced he is good enough to start right now ... if we kick Odrick inside and Starks walks then there is a very valid argument to use our first rounder on one of the top defensive ends in the draft.

Give the guy a little time and credit. Even Cam Wake was a situational player that didnt see the field much is first season in the NFL.

Remember everyone, he is still a rookie. Will get better each year.

Back
Top Bottom