Olivier Vernon

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins Own, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Dolphins Own

Dolphins Own Dolphins fan since 2002

St Louis- 2 sacks(both huge drive killers, one to essentially end the game)
    Jets- Defensive touchdown on blocked punt, blocked field goal
    Colts- another blocked field goal

Gotta give the guy props :up: Solid pick. Doesn't need to be a huge playmaking DE, he's playing great as a role player. Gotta love it

2. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Now that we have coaches that know what the hell they're doing, I think Ireland should just bring in the most freakish athletes they can find.

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

*bump*

Vernon had a great start to the season. But I have hardly even heard him mentioned in weeks, I don't remember a single sack (might be wrong) Is he injured? Or has he hit a rookie wall.

4. Miamibyrd

Miamibyrd Well-Known Member

He is the reason i dont think we would select a DE in the first rd.

5. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

havent seen him in a few games.
    is he injured?

6. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

Another ham and egger picked by Ireland and we are trumpeting him?

7. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

Its amazing what we settle for now. I don't know what he will turn into but his best game and really his only game that he did anything defensivily was against st Louis. And one of those sacks was a free release and clear path to the qb.

8. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

[​IMG]

9. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Oh right, we should have drafted a rookie all-pro DE with a 3rd round pick that gets at least 12+ sacks his rookie year. What a bust and loser GM if we can't get Jason Pierre-Paul in the 3rd round. All of these blind homers just accept mediocrity and will never learn.

And I'm pretty sure thats a limbo bar in your pic....

10. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

Vernon's OK but I cringe when he tried to cover TEs. He got a PI penalty recently because he didn't have enough sense to turn around and let the ball come right to his mid-section.

11. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

It was the same trend in college. Vernon would flash for a game or two and look great doing it, leading to huge praise and great expectations. Then five or six games later you wondered what happened.

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I may get some hate for this but I could just about count the number of good pass rush reps I've seen out of Olivier Vernon on one or two hands. It just so happened that one of the truly great reps he had was that killer sack at the end of the Rams game. Picked a great time for it.

To me he's the second coming of David Bowens. He's easily as good a special teams player as Bowens was, and he's also destined to be an "ok" outside linebacker type, like Bowens. But like Bowens, the pass rush skills are overrated.

You definitely hope to get more than that in the 3rd round. But he's not going to lose you games like a Jason Trusnik will lose you games. And in fact his special teams impact is so big you can actually sit back once or twice in a year and say hot damn this guy did something pretty big to help me win a game or two.

13. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Vernon is okay but he needs time to develop. I think he can be a solid backup but I'm not convinced he is good enough to start right now ... if we kick Odrick inside and Starks walks then there is a very valid argument to use our first rounder on one of the top defensive ends in the draft.

14. Scotty P

Scotty P Well-Known Member Donator

Give the guy a little time and credit. Even Cam Wake was a situational player that didnt see the field much is first season in the NFL.

15. Finz4life1

Finz4life1 Member

Remember everyone, he is still a rookie. Will get better each year.

16. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Yeah, he's a rookie. Sometimes rookies are supposed to be shockingly good. Why are we immune to that? That's what I meant in the "draft SEC" thread. we might screw up and find a Pro Bowler once in a while, instead of name after name that other franchises don't care about but it's an industry on this site to pretend they are special.

David Bowens is probably not a bad comparison to Vernon. Same general caliber but I can't say they are identical in any one characteristic. Bowens is more relentless and instinctive and arrogant. He's had numerous big plays in his career, including a couple of touchdowns in one game against the Saints a couple of years ago. Vernon has a wider stronger frame and is better against the run. Special teams I might lean to Vernon slightly. Bowens has played more than 10 years. I doubt Vernon will match that. Bowens has a lithe body type that has enabled him to overcome injuries and play younger than his years.

17. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Cam should have taken J-Peezy's spot long before they gave it to him.

Vernons ok, but I'm not a big fan...I don't think he will ever be a stud rush threat.

18. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

werent you a big supporter of his when he came out?
    anyway i think he should have played more last week. i wasnt big on him coming out but he has made some big plays this year, and i hope he gets better