One possible positive -Spielman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One possible positive -Spielman

Finfan80

Practice Squad
Reaction score
One possible positive in this whole mess is Rick Spielman. Even though it is too early to judge in many ways, I do believe he is a creative and effective personnel guy. I would not be surprised at all if he came up with a decent stop-gap solution for this season (though I still think this season is a loooong shot, but so were the Panthers last year!) and I expect him to find a quality back some time over the next year that will help us for the next five. This gives him more room to maneuver both salary-cap wise and personnel-wise.
Looking back on the trade for Ricky, we traded two first-rounders and got a nut-job who had one spectacular season, started to fade the season after that (though still produced a solid season), and quit. There was a good reason Mueller let him go, and we almost certainly paid too much for a guy the Saints knew more about than we did. If you don't know who the sucker is at the poker table, it's probably you.
I, for one, feel a lot more comfortable knowing Spielman is handling how to fill the gaps than if this were last year and Wanny were doing it, and I predict that going into 2005 season, we will be strong at back again

Yea I agree. I think with the exception of Feeley, who I think is a big gamble, I think he has done a great job this offseason.

Finfan80 said:
One possible positive in this whole mess is Rick Spielman. Even though it is too early to judge in many ways, I do believe he is a creative and effective personnel guy. I would not be surprised at all if he came up with a decent stop-gap solution for this season (though I still think this season is a loooong shot, but so were the Panthers last year!) and I expect him to find a quality back some time over the next year that will help us for the next five. This gives him more room to maneuver both salary-cap wise and personnel-wise.
Looking back on the trade for Ricky, we traded two first-rounders and got a nut-job who had one spectacular season, started to fade the season after that (though still produced a solid season), and quit. There was a good reason Mueller let him go, and we almost certainly paid too much for a guy the Saints knew more about than we did. If you don't know who the sucker is at the poker table, it's probably you.
I, for one, feel a lot more comfortable knowing Spielman is handling how to fill the gaps than if this were last year and Wanny were doing it, and I predict that going into 2005 season, we will be strong at back again
Yeah? I thought so too, until he "gave" away our 2nd round pick for Feeley!!! Who might turn out to be alright, but not worth that 2nd rounder. I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that the season gets started already before he makes another goofy move that will screw us for the next year or two.

How can you say we paid too much for AJ when nobody is seen him play.
If you expect Rick to find a good stop gap at RB you should trust his ability to pick the right QB.
If what he saw in Feeley becomes a reality he may have saved the season by giving us a passing attack we haven't had in four years.
I believe Feeley will get it done.

Rick Spielman can be Harry frickin Houdini but when you're dealt a bad hand you are dealt a bad hand and you just have to take your lumps. Sure, Spielman will look at all our options but we have few options left. The FA runningback market is scarce to say the least, and with the big hooplah over Williams' retirement, every GM who wants to make a name for himself is going to be out there looking to fleece poor unsuspecting (desperate) Miami. Mike Tice that d!ck who already thinks he managed to completely hose the Phins in the draft, already is hinting loudly that if Miami called about one of their "many excellent backs" he will certainly "pick up the phone and listen..." Faugh. I wouldn't deal with that jerk. He'll ask for Adewale Ogunleye and Patrick Surtain for Moe Williams with a straight face.

In a weird twist of irony CK..... we would almost be in the catbird seat if dealing with Minnesota.

"Oh really, Mike, YOU wanna trade.... I don't know.... I think we'll need a fourth round pick JUST to have the conversation.... hold on while I call another team about it(snicker, snicker)."

"Hurry MIKE! Someone else wants to DEAL!"

"Oh, you'll give us a 4th and Smith/Bennett for Ogun?....."

"Are you sure you'll be able to sign him in time? The CLOCK is TICKING!"

tick tick tick tick

I'm going to say this but might regret it. The coaching staff has to rise to the challange and make the best of what they have, think about what the pats did last year,were their running backs better than what we have, that much better.

It was their game planning and good coaching we have good offensive coaches I don't know about game plan.

Our coaching staff is the thing I'm NOT counting on. A lot of new faces walking around, not to mention a first year OC and a head coach who doesn't encourage anything except, "We're going to run our gameplan, it's simple and everyone knows what we're going to do but they can't stop us." Except that they do stop us. Two things we have to face: Ricky's gone, and we don't have the Patriots coaching staff.
Best case scenario, Spielman finds us a halfway decent, bruising kind of running back, we can mix him in with Minor, hopefully D-Bo produces and Feeley shines, even if Feeley doesn't distinguish himself the addition of a talented new reciever should help our passing attack, and we are able to mix it up enough offensively to keep opposing teams guessing

Back
Top Bottom