Panthers sign Roberts and Nieuwendyk | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Panthers sign Roberts and Nieuwendyk

RWhitney014

Ginger Whit
Reaction score
Both signed 2 year deals for $4.5 million. They came as a package because they are childhood friends. I wonder if this will set the market.

good for the panthers....good vets added to a young team...still need some help scoring and some more D tho

Slappy8800 said:
good for the panthers....good vets added to a young team...still need some help scoring and some more D tho

Well, on defense we have Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Cairns, Sean Hill, Karpovtsev, and Kwiatkowski. That's the 6 for now. We might be trading for Pronger, but that deal could include Bouw, which I don't want do.

I'd love to grab a Glen Murray or Markus Naslund. I know Naslund and Peter Forsberg want to go somewhere together, but if they're willing to take 5 million per each, we can afford both, and I wouldn't have a problem doing it. We have the best winter weather of any team in the league and are one of the few teams that can offer no state income tax.

RWhitney014 said:
Well, on defense we have Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Cairns, Sean Hill, Karpovtsev, and Kwiatkowski. That's the 6 for now. We might be trading for Pronger, but that deal could include Bouw, which I don't want do.

I'd love to grab a Glen Murray or Markus Naslund. I know Naslund and Peter Forsberg want to go somewhere together, but if they're willing to take 5 million per each, we can afford both, and I wouldn't have a problem doing it. We have the best winter weather of any team in the league and are one of the few teams that can offer no state income tax.

Trading Pronger for Bouwmeester would be the very definition of stupidity. Everything I've read says Keenan LOVES Bouwmeester...I don't see that happening.

As for Naslund I would'nt count on him...I think he comes back to Vancouver.

As a Leaf fan I say good luck with Roberts and Nieuwendyk. That's a lot of money to spend on two old guys who are very injury prone.

They'll be injured, but they play an exciting brand of hockey.

RWhitney014 said:
Well, on defense we have Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Cairns, Sean Hill, Karpovtsev, and Kwiatkowski. That's the 6 for now.

That should really improve if the Panters want to compete. Cairns is garbage, I don't know why he hasn't been moved to the wing to minimize his importance on the ice yet. The Leafs did it with Belak and he's more valuable now. You can't afford to have one of your six defensemen sitting in the box as much as Cairns does.

And Karpotsev cannot for the life of him stay healthy. He wore his welcome out in Chicago thanks to his constant injuries.

J-Bo is going to be amazing. He was very good in the World Cup last year.

And Kiwi was possibly the Leafs AHL team's best defensmen after he was loaned out to us. He's better than I thought he was.

RWhitney014 said:
Addendum: Columbus has signed Adam Foote.
As a Avalanche fan, this's very hard to see. Adam Foote has helped develop Colorado into the team that they are. But if any big name players were gonna go, it had to be Foote.

RWhitney014 said:
Both signed 2 year deals for $4.5 million. They came as a package because they are childhood friends. I wonder if this will set the market.

That's an obsurd amount of money for those two at this point in their careers in a cap system. OBSURD amount of money. I love Newy from his time with the Devils- great guy, great leader. He and Roberts should provide Florida's youngsters with leadership and show them what it takes to be a professional day in and day out. But Keenan overpaid big time.

FireWrongstedt said:
That's an obsurd amount of money for those two at this point in their careers in a cap system. OBSURD amount of money. I love Newy from his time with the Devils- great guy, great leader. He and Roberts should provide Florida's youngsters with leadership and show them what it takes to be a professional day in and day out. But Keenan overpaid big time.

$2.25 million a year? For two years? For two players? I think it's a great signing. For ever and ever, this team has always needed skilled, gritty veterans. We just got two of the best.

RWhitney014 said:
$2.25 million a year? For two years? For two players? I think it's a great signing. For ever and ever, this team has always needed skilled, gritty veterans. We just got two of the best.

No dude- it's $2.25 mil EACH.

It didn't take long for the Leafs to get their first taste of the new economic order, unable to match the two-year, $4.5-million US deals each player got from Panthers GM Mike Keenan.

They EACH got $4.5 mil deals. That's ridiculous man. If Florida signed both of them for $1 mil each for 2 years- that's a good deal. But to pay 9 mil for 2 players that AT BEST have 2 years left in the tank is ridiculous in a cap system.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news.story.asp?id=132137

FireWrongstedt said:
It didn't take long for the Leafs to get their first taste of the new economic order, unable to match the two-year, $4.5-million US deals each player got from Panthers GM Mike Keenan.

They EACH got $4.5 mil deals. That's ridiculous man. If Florida signed both of them for $1 mil each for 2 years- that's a good deal. But to pay 9 mil for 2 players that AT BEST have 2 years left in the tank is ridiculous in a cap system.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news.story.asp?id=132137
\

Sorry- I messed the link up. Here it is:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id132137

Back
Top Bottom