Passing...more important than the run? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Passing...more important than the run?

volk

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
With Ricky leaving, I have started to think more about the passing game (obviously). While I realize that a balanced attack with a strong defense is the ideal, I am starting to wonder if a moderate running game and a stronger passing game is enough to do it? The trend over the last few years seems to lead me to believe that a good passing game has become critical to success.

Rather than focus on Ricky, what I want to know is if we have the ability through coaching and personnel to raise the bar in our passing game? Is our OL strong enough? Is AJ capable of pulling off a high calibre passing game? Is Boston enough to spread secondaries thin without a huge run threat? Does Forrester know enough to put together a true passing threat week to week? Can Dave break the fetters of his conservative mindset enough to open the passing game up?

What are your thoughts?

Our O-line and passing game were going to experience growing pains anyway. I think our defense can withstand that. All we need is a "servicable" RB to keep defenses honest.

with ricky last season teams just stuck 8 in the box and tempted jay feidler and brian greise to beat them. This year if the line holds together we have to be more balanced. last season ricky got over 80 percent of the team's total carries. now without him defensive coordinators won't know what is coming out of the backfield. minor has shown good ability the last couple of seasons in limited time, we need to see if he can build on that.

That's the problem. With 8 stacked in the box, we were unable to throw well last year. Without Ricky, we will certainly see more emphasis placed on stopping the pass from opposing D's. The passing game will take on more importance, but will become much more difficult to run at the same time. Do you honestly believe we have the talent at QB and OC to get that done?

Lowering the level of talent at RB isnt going to make the offense any better. While its true that opposing teams will be less likely to put 8 in the box against us now, the fact is that without ricky, they don't NEED 8 in the box. Unless Feeley and Boston are the second coming of Marino and Clayton, I think we are in for a very long season.

you might want to use the bills from last year as an example and the Dan Marino era. The problem is that Feeley/Fiedler are no Marino. Don't tell Wayne that.

We don't know what AJ and Boston and OLwill do, but they could add more to this team than it lost with RW.
I know its a stretch but what can you do.
The coaching as volk said its got to be there.

Back
Top Bottom