patience is a virtue (when running) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

patience is a virtue (when running)

ajajaj

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't know of any team in the league that has a good running game when only attempting it max of 20 times per game. Have we hit 20 carries yet, not sure but I don't think so.

Every great running back, and Ricky is no different and I promise you Ronnie will be no different plays a numbers game.

Running the ball should get you 2.5 - 4 yards on a typical play. Just like in the passing game a huge run typically occurs when a situation develops for the back. Like a missed tackle, a defender gets out of position, an O player makes an outstanding block taking out 2 or 3 defenders. A typical big play pass comes normally when a defender falls down, missed assignments, overreaction to deception from the offense by a defender.

This is what has happened to us in almost every game.

D's stack the line with 8 players in the box. We immediately go to the air. We have had GREAT opportunities through the air, we just haven't connected on them. WIDE OPEN WR's!!! then drops or bad throws. But regardless we keep trying.

Running backs normally get the opportunity to bust a big play once every 7 - 12 carries depending of the D. Which means if we run the ball only 15 - 20 times per game we will likely only see 2 opportunities at most to make a big play in the run game (reverses don't count). Now you take away 1.5 big plays per game due to penalty and you have .5 big plays in the run game per game based on how we are now destributing the ball.

We have to be more patient with the Run. More two TE and extra guard at TE even when not in goal line. We have 1 great back, 1 soon to be great back (Ronnie almost their, but still hesitant), and one very good back in morris. Evans is a decent blocker. Our TE's give us an opportunity to pass too.

We need to hit about 40 carries per game in my opinion to start dominating and dismantling D's. Even against 8 man fronts, a lot of the 8 man fronts I have seen are bluffs anyway. Upon snap the 7th and 8th man are dropping into a mid to deep zone in almost a sprint. They are stuffing our run by blufing us out of it. We should call them on it and let our workhorses do some work.

what do you guys think?

Totally agree.

However the penalties have got to stop.

Was not our defense in 8 man front formation when Pittman bust open that long run?

The only problem is that we seem to spend too much time looking at 1st and 15 (or 1st and 20). When you put yourself in a hole like that so often, you kinda have to throw.

I agree though, I would like to see us run the ball more often (as I'm sure Saban would) ... but the timing on the penalties is friggin killing us.

Superself said:
Totally agree.

However the penalties have got to stop.

Was not our defense in 8 man front formation when Pittman bust open that long run?

yes, and the weekness to an 8 man front is if the back can get passed the line, it very often can be a big gain. THey just gotta give it a chance.

40 carries a game, thats 20 for Ronnie and Ricky, that sounds good,it would tire out dfenses and open up the pass, but there is abig difference between whats on paper and whats actually done.

Canadianfishfan said:
God i would love to have hit 50% of those bombs!

no kidding. If we had a different QB I would say yeah air it out, but Gus just isn't getting it done right now. Switch gears for a while. try some smashmouth even on 1st and 15. Save the chambers reverse for the first and 15 play, or go with some mis-direction with ricky and Ronnie.

So many options for our running game with our personell it's rediculous. Just take advantage of them.

I think we need to lay off the penalties so were not in wholes and forced to throw. I think we need to establish the run and then throw those bombs but this can't be done with our penalties.

PatsSuck456 said:
40 carries a game, thats 20 for Ronnie and Ricky, that sounds good,it would tire out dfenses and open up the pass, but there is abig difference between whats on paper and whats actually done.

yep, the problem with opening the pass is, the pass has been open we just can't connect.

40 rushing attempts is too much, given the typical number of snaps. The ideal number is 28-35 average. Anything around 30 is great.

The 5 yard penalties and resulting 1st and 15 situations is admittedly a bizarre and unique factor. It would be interesting to know how many times we've switched a run call to a pass attempt based on those penalties.

Back
Top Bottom