Patroling 'the zoo' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patroling 'the zoo'

xiidaen

FinHeaven.com Evangelist
Reaction score
There has been some discussion recently on the VIP boards and elsewhere on the site about a decline in 'quality' posts on the main board.

The VIP area gave some respite or at least refuge from this, but the main board is still the first impression many users (as well as VIPs and advertisers) will get about Finheaven, and I think that first impression has become somewhat tarnished.

The question is, can it be helped?

Some people have suggested a 'review board' but this seems like a full time job for anyone. But we do have a community of VIPs and Premium members, so I was wondering if there might be another solution.

Might it work to put in some sort of 'strike' system, where if you receive a certain number of them, you lose your posting privledges? This system can be adapted -- a sliding scale as it were starting with a no posting 'time out' and leading to outright bans.

I think it would be important to limit the strikes by threads so that no one is overly dinged for one bad thread, but people can still have a way of registering their issue with that thread. Then, if a pattern of threads or posts continues, the strikes add up.

I would propose that any member VIP or higher can hand out strikes on posts or threads. (I think personally, the threads are the bigger problem from a site image problem). Mods and Admins can remove strikes if they are either a personnal vendetta, or whatever. Depending on what the back end of the site looks like you might even be able to have strikes come off over time.

This is just one suggestion on what I think is a significant problem and will affect how the site is judged or perceived by others. I know there are some very smart people on the site -- feel free to jump in and tell me if you think there is a problem, a better solution, or no solution at all.

Xii, I like this a LOT. I like it pretty much the way you laid it out; I would limit input ("strikes" or "hits") to staff and premium members only, though. Makes it more manageable, and avoids diluting the results and possible "ganging up" on anyone. Also if anyone abuses the strike system - for personal retribution, for example - he would lose the privilege.

Mods, what do you think?

I think hat certain requirements should have to be met to create a new thead. Maybe a post count thing... or some kind of user rating system... I don't know. But I think you've got a good idea. :D

mor911 said:
I think hat certain requirements should have to be met to create a new thead. Maybe a post count thing... or some kind of user rating system... I don't know. But I think you've got a good idea. :D
There should be something done, but I am against a user rating system. I just feel those get out of control and really are not necessary. Maybe like 100 posts before you can start a thread.

PS: My spell check button is gone. :cry:

The idea is a great one; however, I don't see it being implemented for a main reason... some users take other users too personal, and that can lead to just insanity. Something that, IMO, would make moderation much more crazy.

The idea for a post limit on new threads has been spoken about previously amongst staff members... but it was never put through.

We'll definitely talk about it again... something needs done.

I dislike it as much as the rest of you but unless someone is violating the tos would'nt what you are suggesting border on censorship? Or am I interpreting this wrong? I could see having to have at least x amount of post in order to start a thread but what if someone new had some breaking or close to inside news? Just some thoughts to throw out there.

Den54 said:
I dislike it as much as the rest of you but unless someone is violating the tos would'nt what you are suggesting border on censorship? Or am I interpreting this wrong? I could see having to have at least x amount of post in order to start a thread but what if someone new had some breaking or close to inside news? Just some thoughts to throw out there.

IMO it would be a mistake to be heavy handed with the general members on the Main board.Many fans sign up because they want to express their frustration or whatever.The key word is express.If you limit that then you will have less people signing up.

And as you have pointed if you limit threads to newbies you may be eliminating the people who have some breaking news or some inside information that everyone seems to be interested in.It might be inaccurate info or a medium for expressing some personal agenda but these type of threads generate a lot of interest and that is the name of the game on this MB.

It is important for the Premium members and VIPs to be an example to the rest of the membership.Your posts will show the other members what it is that we expect from their posts.I would stay away from the posts criticizing their threads and pointing out their grammar and spelling mistakes.This is not an English class MB.The Mods will do their job and merge threads when they are justified.The general membership will catch on in time.

I can tell you from personal experience that many of the posters are also members from other MBs and they may have predominant negative posts but they usually temper their views once they have had a chance to post on this MB.

IMO thats because we have given them an example and there is a certain amount of accountability.They realize that their posts are being observed by a lot of people and they will try to be more reasonable and even in their opinions.

I would rather see a three strikes and you are out system.When the members sign up they should be aware that their threads are being reviewed for suitability.Three bad threads within a period would result in a cooling off period to be determined by the Mods.

Another possibility is that new members should be restricted to originating one thread within a 24 hr period until such time as their threads merits a Mods approval whereupon that restriction would be lifted.That would restrict the trolls from signing up and spamming the main board such as what happened when the Manchester United fans signed up and spammed the boards with multiple threads.

Its all very well that we have Premium and VIP members but IMO we should avoid the Us vs them mentality.That would only alienate the general membership.Its better to show them that we are Premium and VIP members because we deserve it.That is leading by example.

I imagine that this topic is next to impossible to control. People are people and are going to be stupid and annoying. The only way to avoid this is to make this a pay site. That way, only people that feel strong enough about the site to pay for would be here and posting. All the trolls, and "dumb" people wouldn't bother paying for a site to post garbage.

Anyway there could be a special "Vent" forum? Something where all the "Player A Sucks", "Player B should be cut" threads can go? I don't mean a forum like the Depths, but an area where people who need to let some steam off can do so, where most of us don't have to read it unless we really want to.

Thing is no body knows about or cares about the other forums. Everything goes in the main forum for them. Which I guess I don't blam them, because the other forums don't get looked at, and then your post never gets read.

I'm not trying to say my post was the solution, and certainly not the only solution. I'm more just pleading for a change. The number of 'this site used to be good, but I'm leaving now' posts are alarming, as is the whole change in tone, etc.

I don't know that it can be helped, or that the problem can be solved. But I hope something can be done.

I'm talking with some other forum adminstators about what they suggest. I think the idea of allowing Premium Members to "warn" members on a scale of some sort may be worked out.

My only concern is this: sometimes more people warning doesn't mean it makes things easier. It can mean chaos...

FinHeavenAJ said:
I'm talking with some other forum adminstators about what they suggest. I think the idea of allowing Premium Members to "warn" members on a scale of some sort may be worked out.

My only concern is this: sometimes more people warning doesn't mean it makes things easier. It can mean chaos...

I would caution against having anyone other than the mods/admins "warn" any member officially; I'd prefer to see all warnings, ratings, strikes - whatever -funneled to the staff, and let them deal with it. Just my opinion, AJ.

I do think a system that uses the Premium members as an additonal patrol to the site in an advisory capacity to the staff can be a tremendous benefit. But ultimately, the face of authority should be the staff, no?

Nublar7 said:
Anyway there could be a special "Vent" forum? Something where all the "Player A Sucks", "Player B should be cut" threads can go? I don't mean a forum like the Depths, but an area where people who need to let some steam off can do so, where most of us don't have to read it unless we really want to.
This is actually a great idea... The Player/coach/team sucks forum... It'll keep all of that trash out of the main board.

Back
Top Bottom