Penalties | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penalties

Fin_Frenzy_84

Starter
Reaction score
We all know that penalties have been a giant issue this season especially during our last 5 games.
I believe there’s a handful of reasons for our collapse and it’s clear that penalties are definitely one of those reasons.

I looked up the penalties per each game and it’s pretty wild how our penalties were low during our 3 & 5 game win streak. Yet our penalties have been through the roof during our 3 & 5 game losing streak.
It’s almost like the amount of penalties we get during a game is damn near the deciding factor if we win or not.

I’m curious to see the breakdown of what the penalties are and which players the penalties have been on per game. Does anybody know of a website that will break down each penalty we’ve had this season?

Looked this up yesterday.......we were 4th in most penalties and 7th in most penalty yards. Hunt led the team with 9 penalties.....

There were a lot of false start penalties and wondered if this was cadence issues with the frequent QB changes we have seen based on when the penalties occurred, but definitely an area of needed improvement

Pre-snap offensive penalties should go down over time within the same offense, there's plenty of observed evidence that I feel comfortable to say that.

I personally think penalties can be a bit of a red herring in the sense that you just want to look at your production metrics. Would you rather be 1st in offensive penalties and 5th in total scoring, or 32nd in offensive penalties and 15th in total scoring?

Looked this up yesterday.......we were 4th in most penalties and 7th in most penalty yards. Hunt led the team with 9 penalties.....

There were a lot of false start penalties and wondered if this was cadence issues with the frequent QB changes we have seen based on when the penalties occurred, but definitely an area of needed improvement
Hunt trying to get a jump on his pass pattern - needs an extra step to beat man coverage I suspect

Good post. I think it's a combination of factors that others have mentioned. The carousel of quarterbacks has to be a reason for the false starts. The young secondary has had issues with DPI.

Having a new offense with a lot of pre-snap movement. A new coach, who has struggled at times with clock management.

The 49ers game was poorly officiated. No way to get around that one as call after call went against Miami. There were a number of missed calls in this game.

Pre-snap offensive penalties should go down over time within the same offense, there's plenty of observed evidence that I feel comfortable to say that.

I personally think penalties can be a bit of a red herring in the sense that you just want to look at your production metrics. Would you rather be 1st in offensive penalties and 5th in total scoring, or 32nd in offensive penalties and 15th in total scoring?
Yes and no IMO. I agree w your point but I want to be good in both categories. Otherwise you are just making it harder on yourself to move the football. The Vikings game was a great example where we had 1st and goal from the 3 but wound up punting from their 43.

Yes and no IMO. I agree w your point but I want to be good in both categories. Otherwise you are just making it harder on yourself to move the football. The Vikings game was a great example where we had 1st and goal from the 3 but wound up punting from their 43.
I just re-watched that sequence. Skylar Thompson looked like a legit NFL QB on that drive.

I just re-watched that sequence. Skylar Thompson looked like a legit NFL QB on that drive.
He did. Like how many times did he need to make a play because they kept getting called back ? Goodness we beat ourselves so badly in that game. Forced Minny into 8, 3 and outs I think

Penalties come down to discipline and this team has shown signs of not being very disciplined. The Shula (and other legendary coaches) teams were never penalized much due to the discipline instilled in the team. Discipline starts with the HC and he seems more like a bro out there than a leader.

LOL......good memory!
It’s one of my favorite plays in the history of all of sports at any level…in any universe. The big man juking the DB out of his jock, then plowing through the last 2 guys and going airborne w the extension for the TD - and it was illegal - was so effing funny

Penalties come down to discipline and this team has shown signs of not being very disciplined. The Shula (and other legendary coaches) teams were never penalized much due to the discipline instilled in the team. Discipline starts with the HC and he seems more like a bro out there than a leader.
I’m pretty sure McAcceptsMediocrity will be handing out participation trophies at the team banquet this year

Back
Top Bottom