Phil Savage Bio | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phil Savage Bio

Carolina_Dolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Phil Savage, one of the NFL’s top football personnel experts, was named the team’s director of player personnel last February and is in his 13th year with Art Modell’s franchise. As player personnel
director, Savage works with GM Ozzie Newsome to oversee both the college and pro scouting departments. Continuing to scout collegiate players around the country, Phil is now more involved in the day-today operations of the team. In the last few years, Savage has negotiated later-round draft pick contracts, working with Pat Moriarty and the players’ agents. Last April, Baltimore received outstanding grades across the board for its 2003 NFL Draft. Savage and the scouting department, under the direction of Ozzie Newsome, selected 11 players in the NFL Draft. LB Terrell Suggs (Arizona State) was the 10th overall selection and QB Kyle Boller (California) was the 19th overall pick. Savage and the Ravens made a draft-day trade with New England for Baltimore’s second-round pick this year (2003) and its 1st-round pick in 2004 for Boller. In the third round, Baltimore selected RB Musa Smith (Georgia) at 77th overall, who the Ravens had as one of their top-rated backs. Smith was followed by DE Jarret Johnson (Alabama) and FB Ovie Mughelli (Wake Forest), both in the fourth round. DT Aubrayo Franklin (Tennessee) and OT Tony Pashos (Illinois) were Baltimore’s two 5th-round picks and S Gerome Sapp (Notre Dame) was selected in the sixth round. The Ravens drafted their final 3 in the 7th round: TE Trent Smith (Oklahoma), C/G Mike Mabry (Central Florida) and S Antwoine Sanders (Utah).
Since 1996, the Ravens have drafted Pro Bowlers OT Jonathan Ogden (D1a, 1996), LB Ray Lewis (D1b, 1996), WR/PR Jermaine Lewis (D5, 1996), LB Peter Boulware (D1, 1997), and TE Todd
Heap (D1, 2001). Other major contributors include LB Jamie Sharper (D2a, 1997), CB Duane Starks (D1, 1998), CB Chris McAlister (D1, 1999), OL Edwin Mulitalo (D4b, 1999), RB Jamal Lewis (D1a, 2000), WR Travis Taylor (D1b, 2000), QB Chris Redman (D3, 2000), LB Adalius Thomas (D6, 2000), LB Edgerton Hartwell (D4, 2001), S Ed Reed (D1, 2002), and DE Tony Weaver (D2, 2002).
In a survey conducted by The Dallas Morning News in 2000, the Ravens’ drafts over the 4-year span
from 1996-1999 produced more Pro Bowlers (4) and a higher percentage of starters (38.5%) than
any other NFL team. The survey also concluded that the Ravens had the highest percentage of drafted
players still on the team at the time (69.2%). The survey included the years 1996-99, a period of
time that Phil served as director of college scouting.
Phil joined the Cleveland Browns in ’91, after a month-long stint as tight ends/running backs coach
for the San Antonio Riders of the World League (coached by former Chargers head coach and current
Oregon State head coach Mike Riley). His first 3 years with the Browns’ coaching staff were
spent as an assistant to former defensive coordinator Nick Saban (now head coach at LSU). The following
year, Phil took on added duties in the personnel area when he began scouting college players,
while continuing to break down coaching film and compiling scouting reports on upcoming
opponents.
Savage, 38, launched his coaching career at the age of 21, when he served as a graduate assistant at Alabama under
Bill Curry (current ESPN analyst) in 1987.
From 1988-89, he coached the TEs, including
now-r e t i r e d Giant Howard Cross. In 1990, Savage followed Alabama offensive coordinator Homer Smith to UCLA, where he coached TEs, analyzed opponent game video and helped with
administrative duties for the Bruins’ offense. Savage worked under then-Bruins head coach and current 49ers general manager
Terry Donahue. Last summer, Phil held his 13th annual football
skills camp for high school players in his hometown of Mobile, AL, where Murphy H.S. (his alma mater) is located. Three of Phil’s graduates are current NFLers: DT Eddie Freeman (UAB), drafted by the Chiefs (D2, ‘02), QB Tee Martin (Tennessee), drafted by the Steelers (D5, ‘00) and DL Leonardo Carson (Auburn), drafted by the Chargers (D4, ‘00). During the 2001 offseason, Phil teamed with his brother, Joe, and traveled with 5 Ravens coaches, players and 2 scouts to Cancun, Mexico, for a combined football camp and mission with the Ninos Mexicanos football players.

http://www.philsavagefootball.com

Since 1996, 45 of the Ravens’ 53 draft picks (84.9%) have made opening-day rosters.

Last edited by a moderator:

In a survey conducted by The Dallas Morning News in 2000, the Ravens’ drafts over the 4-year span
from 1996-1999 produced more Pro Bowlers (4) and a higher percentage of starters (38.5%) than
any other NFL team. The survey also concluded that the Ravens had the highest percentage of drafted
players still on the team at the time (69.2%). The survey included the years 1996-99, a period of
time that Phil served as director of college scouting.

I didn't even have to read the material in this thread, I read the title and I wanted to respond with "THIS IS THE MAN FOR OUR GM".

I heard the news that the Dolphins were planning on interviewing Phil Savage as a GM candidate and I was estatic. If you visually look at the players that Baltimore has signed and produced in the last few years (minus the QB position, unfortunately) it is a marvel to see how many talented strong players are with Baltimore, especially on the defensive side. Savage has a keen eye for picking out those quality agressive players.

PHIL SAVAGE IS THE MAN FOR OUR GM.

I am also getting the feeling that Phil Savage is the best candidate for the Dolphins GM job.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I am also getting the feeling that Phil Savage is the best candidate for the Dolphins GM job.

He does have the best resume.........

The guy knows how to find the diamonds thats for sure. I like him already.

It doesn't strike me as particularly hard to find diamonds among first and second round picks...and for the most part that is what Phil Savage has done.

You know that Dallas Morning News study? I wonder what their results would have looked like if they had looked into what team had the most first round picks in the period 1996 to 1999. Hey, I like Savage, but over the past fod.ur years we have not had many first round picks so it is hard to compare.

You should be weary of taking a look at Baltimore's pro bowl players and attributing it to Phil Savage. Ozzie Newsome takes a LOT of credit in Baltimore for drafting guys that he deems "good football players" (emphasis on the last word). Savage undoubtedly deserves some credit, but it could be that Newsome deserves most of the credit.
4 of the 5 pro bowlers listed, were drafted in the first round. The only one that was NOT, was a returner. Of the next 11 guys they listed as "major contributors" five of them were drafted in the first round, one of those guys (Travis Taylor) should be considered a disappointment, and 2 of the other 6 guys were drafted high in the 2nd round (Jamie Sharper and Anthony Weaver).

From the period of 1996 through 2002 the Ravens have 9 first round picks listed....and for the most part they were HIGH first round picks. Were all of them worth it? Was Duane Starks worth the 10th pick in the draft? Was Peter Boulware worth the 4th pick? Was Travis Taylor worth the 10th pick? I mean, lookin at a glance you see 5 pro bowlers and all these contributors, but ya gotta take into account the whole story. The Ravens haven't been the end-all be-all of drafters. A lot of the selections they made were the concensus best at their position when the Ravens drafted them. This includes Peter Boulware, Duane Starks, Jonathon Ogden, Todd Heap...heck even Ray Lewis I think was considered the best MLB back in his draft, with Hardy, Mobley, and Reggie Brown I think being OLBs back when they were drafted but I could definitely be wrong there. Chris McAlister was second to Champ Bailey who got taken 3 picks ahead of the Ravens.

On the other hand ya gotta give Savage credit for bein able to get a guy like Mulitalo, or return guys like Brightful and Jermaine Lewis.

Still guys don't cream yourselves over Savage. We want a QB and the guy he drafted was Chris Redman.

Back
Top Bottom