Philbin, WCO, 174 lb Tavon Austin.. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin, WCO, 174 lb Tavon Austin..

2 wrs on our team with 4.3 speed and good hands. That excites the hell out of me.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I read the most ignorant thing on twitter today. Some dude said he didn't want the Dolphins to pick Austin because he reminded him of John Avery.

its because they have not seen tayvon play. they didnt follow him during his college years.

ANYONE who actually did knows this kid is NOTHING like avery, a limited talent with AWFUL work habits who wasnt dedicated to the game. he loved those stupid video games more than having a career that would set himself and his family up financially for the rest of their lives.

i wonder how he is doing with his new super tripple Z 4-d game box and his new game, zombie warlords from compton? wonder if he misses all the millions he COULD have made or is he more jacked now about getting to level 28 and killing snake head ho's and collecting more nuclear orbs for battle?

i kicked and yelled and screamed and faced the multitude of hate mail over wanting desean jackson a few years back. these same things all came up. and TAYVON is FAR MORE TALENTED than jackson!!

people find more ways to think themselves out of talent.

Disagree. There is "the next great TE" coming out once a year. There was Graham, then Gronk/Hernandez, then Fleener/Allen. Colleges are pushing these mammoths out like they grow on trees now. When is the last time you saw a player like Austin come out? You can't label a player who had almost 400 yards rushing, and another 200 receiving yards in one game a "slot receiver that isn't hard to find". He's more than he's getting credit for, and the ways you can use him make his value skyrocket in my mind. This is not to take anything away from Eifert either, because if for some terrible reason we don't grab Austin; Eifert or Milliner would be the only other players I would want, if neither then I would hope to trade down. The kid is simply electric, and is no where near common and I feel like he's worth taking a chance on.

Well you make a good point. In 2010 "the next great TE" that came out that year was named Jermain Gresham. Everyone was all over him as a prospect. I wasn't nearly as enamoured with him, as he seemed like just another athlete that was a mediocre football player. The guy I was pounding the table for (and the floor for when we drafted) was Rob Gronkowski ... who had similar measurables to Eifert and proved to be a dynamite collegiate TE that profiled to be a dynamite professional TE. Similar to Eifert, Gronkowski would probably have been drafted around 20th in the first round except for the fact he sat out a year from a broken back, and many teams took him off their draft boards as a medical risk (Miami was probably one of them because Parcells hates injured players). So yeah, I'd agree that there's always a Jermain Gresham every year ... and we almost grabbed one in free agency, Cook.

But, great football players who also have the measurables to be great in the NFL don't come along every year. Tyler Eifert reminds me of Tony Gonzalez. Eifert dominated every team he played against, even Alabama when he was the only receiving threat and had no QB. Passing on guys like that when you have a chance to draft them is a mistake. When they fit the value chart, fit a need, and tick every single box of a coaching staff that has a bazillion boxes to tick, when he is exactly what your rebuilding around a young QB plan needs ... and you pass him up. That's a recipe for mediocrity ... something we know a lot about here in Miami unfortunately.

Well you make a good point. In 2010 "the next great TE" that came out that year was named Jermain Gresham. Everyone was all over him as a prospect. I wasn't nearly as enamoured with him, as he seemed like just another athlete that was a mediocre football player. The guy I was pounding the table for (and the floor for when we drafted) was Rob Gronkowski ... who had similar measurables to Eifert and proved to be a dynamite collegiate TE that profiled to be a dynamite professional TE. Similar to Eifert, Gronkowski would probably have been drafted around 20th in the first round except for the fact he sat out a year from a broken back, and many teams took him off their draft boards as a medical risk (Miami was probably one of them because Parcells hates injured players). So yeah, I'd agree that there's always a Jermain Gresham every year ... and we almost grabbed one in free agency, Cook.

But, great football players who also have the measurables to be great in the NFL don't come along every year. Tyler Eifert reminds me of Tony Gonzalez. Eifert dominated every team he played against, even Alabama when he was the only receiving threat and had no QB. Passing on guys like that when you have a chance to draft them is a mistake. When they fit the value chart, fit a need, and tick every single box of a coaching staff that has a bazillion boxes to tick, when he is exactly what your rebuilding around a young QB plan needs ... and you pass him up. That's a recipe for mediocrity ... something we know a lot about here in Miami unfortunately.

I really respect your opinion, because I read A LOT on these forums and yours' is historically, a level headed approach to things. But just for fun, read your second paragraph and change Alabama to Oklahoma and Gonzalez to Harvin, now tell me that most of what was said cannot fit as if you were lobbying for Austin. The no QB and only threat cannot, but everything else could work. Like I said in my post, I'm not taking anything away from Eifert because if on draft day he is holding up our jersey, I would not care a single iota. But I can't get the thought of Austin running underneath while Wallace takes the top off the defense, out of my head. It's something I think we need to be great and would allow us to become one of the top passing attacks in the league again.

Back
Top Bottom