Philbin, WCO, 174 lb Tavon Austin.. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin, WCO, 174 lb Tavon Austin..

Don't see it. Swope is not a need as he is merely another Hartline.

No way.

-- Swope catches the deep ball in stride, and keeps running for a long TD. Hartline rarely ever does that.

-- Swope will take a big hit in the middle of the field, keep his balance, and keep running for a long TD. Hartline rarely ever does that.

I don't see Swope & Hartline being similar, other than the fact that they're both white.

No way.

-- Swope catches the deep ball in stride, and keeps running for a long TD. Hartline rarely ever does that.

-- Swope will take a big hit in the middle of the field, keep his balance, and keep running for a long TD. Hartline rarely ever does that.

I don't see Swope & Hartline being similar, other than the fact that they're both white.

Look I'd be ok with drafting Swope or even Goodwin because in order to maximize Philbin's system it is necessary to have another WR threat. However, there is a big drop off in talent between Austin and Swope. That's where we probably disagree. I just don't think Swope would make our passing game that much better, especially since you have to cut Bess. Austin on the other hand is a huge upgrade over Bess and he would make fans forget about Bess very quickly. I'd be ok with passing up Austin as long as we draft someone that gives teams nightmares at 12, at any position, but I just don't see it. Eifert looks like a Dennis Pitta clone. Not worth passing up Austin for him. That's like trading Wes Welker in his prime for Dennis Pitta. Who does that? Nobody.

Eifert gives our offense a huge advantage as well. I dig Tavon Austin but im worried he will get popped by an NFL LB and be out for a while.

and we need a TE. thats what blows my mind.

Look I'd be ok with drafting Swope or even Goodwin because in order to maximize Philbin's system it is necessary to have another WR threat. However, there is a big drop off in talent between Austin and Swope. That's where we probably disagree. I just don't think Swope would make our passing game that much better, especially since you have to cut Bess. Austin on the other hand is a huge upgrade over Bess and he would make fans forget about Bess very quickly. I'd be ok with passing up Austin as long as we draft someone that gives teams nightmares at 12, at any position, but I just don't see it. Eifert looks like a Dennis Pitta clone. Not worth passing up Austin for him. That's like trading Wes Welker in his prime for Dennis Pitta. Who does that? Nobody.

dude, you gotta stop this. ryan swope is just as fast and knows this offense frontwards and backwards. big advantage going into the pros. and everyone riding Patterson's jock and now its austin.

Austin will be a special teamer first and wr second, and if anyone suggests otherwise, then you dont understand football in the pros. rookies with his kind of talent are notcoming in starting at wr. and he will in no way start for us under philbin after doing what we did in FA.

And everyone who is all over austins jock does think that he can be the only guy we draft and everyone else is garbage,which is insanity.

I'm not saying everyone else at 12 is garbage. You are putting words I never said in my mouth. I am saying that at 12 there isn't another player that will impact our team in a positive way like Austin. You don't pass up someone if you think he is the most talented player and will give opponents the most problems. Who else is going to give opponents more problems than Austin at 12? I'll wait....remember I said MORE than Austin....so show me who and how they will give opponents MORE problems. I'm willing to listen. Sell me.

How about Cordarrelle Patterson? He has great run after the catch ability, he's a half a foot taller, thirty pounds heavier, and he can play in the slot or outside and would probably be a much better red zone threat. He could be on the field for every play. I'm just saying I would rather have Patterson over Austin and it isn't even close.

You are comparing apples to oranges. I hated the Ginn pick because because 1. His weakness out of college was getting yards after the catch...2. route running....3. Intelligence. The COMPLETE opposite of Austin.

And if you take Swope who are you going to take at #12 that is going to scare NE?

I'm sure NE will be terrified of a Miami team with these speedster WRs when Tannehill is on his back due to not having an adequate LT blocking for him. I'm sure NE will be terrified if a Miami defense with 1 starting caliber CB and no ability to rush the passer outside of Wake and sending QB blitzes.

Sure Austin would be great if we didn't have other massive holes but I'd much rather plug one of those holes with the 12th pick and take a chance on a WR like Swope in the 2nd round as he fits the Philbin style of WR who can run the entire route tree and has chemistry with the QB and knows the offense already.

I'm sure NE will be terrified of a Miami team with these speedster WRs when Tannehill is on his back due to not having an adequate LT blocking for him. I'm sure NE will be terrified if a Miami defense with 1 starting caliber CB and no ability to rush the passer outside of Wake and sending QB blitzes.

Sure Austin would be great if we didn't have other massive holes but I'd much rather plug one of those holes with the 12th pick and take a chance on a WR like Swope in the 2nd round as he fits the Philbin style of WR who can run the entire route tree and has chemistry with the QB and knows the offense already.

Think long term. Players we draft, we hope, aren't for just next year but hopefully the next 8. We aren't winning the Super Bowl next year so if we can get an elite playmaker for hopefully the next decade you do it. Your frame of mind is the reason we don't have a Patrick Willis. I was pounding the table to nab him but all I heard was it wasn't as pressing a need. I kept saying to think 3 years from now when Zach was gone and our lb corp would be completely different.

Going by that philosophy we would of never had pat surtain since we already had Sam Madison and t-buck. Positions are fluid and what might be a strength can easily be a weakness in a year or two. So when the opportunity presents itself to grab an elite playmaker that you hope is playing for you for 8-10 years, you don't dismiss it by saying we have other more pressing matters today. That frame of mind leads to continuous losing seasons as you continue to pass on elite playmaking talent because you are unable to see past 8 months from now

Austin is a player that doesnt come around often. Everyone wants to scream size, but give me an example of a player that never missed a collegiate game or practice, with this kind of ability being a bust. I love the, "wait til an nfl lb hits him", good luck with that one. The kid can shake you in a telephone booth and runs a 4.3, he rarely ever took hits in college even when they knew he was getting the ball. You people dont want the "safe" pick, but when the ULTIMATE high risk-high reward scenario presents itself, you shy away and run the the security blanket TE, or a DE(which can be had in the 2nd/3rd), or reach for a DB with not much more potential than the ones in the 2nd or 3rd round(excluding Milliner of course). Just think about how you'd feel if NE got him. Scared sh*tless, and pissed we let him pass us by, while he's racking up the highlights. Get Winston, Go Austin rnd 1, DB/DE rnd 2, TE/DB/OT rnd 3 and 4. Sit back and enjoy the speed.

If we pass on Austin I would love to take Eifert in the first and swope in the second and trade Bess to Indy for a fourth

Its not out of the question for Austin to put on 10 lbs between now and the beginning of the season. Here are a few of the smaller WR that have had success in recent history:

Welker 5'9" 185
Steve Smith (CAR) 5'9" 185
Lance Moore 5'9" 190
Deion Branch 5'9" 193
Santana Moss 5'9" 189
Randall Cobb 5'10" 193
DeShaun Jackson 5'10" 175
Davone Bess 5'10" 193

I hope we don't draft him. We need to draft other positions, ESPECIALLY in the first round. If we got Austin at #12, I would view that as a wasted pick. But that's just me.

I'm fine with Austin but we'd then have to trade Bess, who is in the final year of his contract thus won't fetch us much. Eifert is a harder talent to find then slot receiver tho, and considering we arguably already have 2 slot receivers on the roster, Eifert is the way to go. I REALLY hope Ireland sees that.

I'm fine with Austin but we'd then have to trade Bess, who is in the final year of his contract thus won't fetch us much. Eifert is a harder talent to find then slot receiver tho, and considering we arguably already have 2 slot receivers on the roster, Eifert is the way to go. I REALLY hope Ireland sees that.

Disagree. There is "the next great TE" coming out once a year. There was Graham, then Gronk/Hernandez, then Fleener/Allen. Colleges are pushing these mammoths out like they grow on trees now. When is the last time you saw a player like Austin come out? You can't label a player who had almost 400 yards rushing, and another 200 receiving yards in one game a "slot receiver that isn't hard to find". He's more than he's getting credit for, and the ways you can use him make his value skyrocket in my mind. This is not to take anything away from Eifert either, because if for some terrible reason we don't grab Austin; Eifert or Milliner would be the only other players I would want, if neither then I would hope to trade down. The kid is simply electric, and is no where near common and I feel like he's worth taking a chance on.

dude, you gotta stop this. ryan swope is just as fast and knows this offense frontwards and backwards. big advantage going into the pros. and everyone riding Patterson's jock and now its austin.

Austin will be a special teamer first and wr second, and if anyone suggests otherwise, then you dont understand football in the pros. rookies with his kind of talent are notcoming in starting at wr. and he will in no way start for us under philbin after doing what we did in FA.

And everyone who is all over austins jock does think that he can be the only guy we draft and everyone else is garbage,which is insanity.

I need to stop it? You saying that Swope would have equal impact on the team as Austin speaks of your lack of talent evaluation skills. Do you realize you are in the EXTREME minority on this? 100% of scouts and football experts call Austin a once in a decade talent. That's why he is a lock to go top 16 despite his size. I bet you would have passed up Barry Sanders because of size and because your team needed a #2 TE. You don't pass up elite talent. You simply don't. Don't be the moron who later asks himself what the heck were we thinking? There's a reason teams are salivating to draft Austin.

Watch everyone change their tune on he is to small if the Pats draft him!

Back
Top Bottom