Philly Philosophy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philly Philosophy

insomnizak

Scout Squad
Reaction score
Based on our interest in bill lazor and possibly Tom gamble. It seems like we are looking for a philly approach. So, who would be the prospects that make the most sense in that scheme

Well, Kelly's mantra at Oregon was always speed on both sides of the ball. We still need difference makers, mostly on offense, so that could really suit this organization. We'll see how things unfold.

Chip has said before that in the NFL he would draft mostly defense, because he can run his offense with nearly anyone.

I don't think hiring Lazor and Gamble would necessarily mean we would switch to a Chip Kelly offense. In fact, I highly doubt it.

What it would mean is that we have a GM who is prepared to build a coaching staff of innovators rather than followers. We would have an OC who is capable of (jointly) installing the offensive part of that new innovative system, but not without its wrinkles and bumps along the way.

Where does Philbin fit if we have innovative guys like that above and below him? Is he in the way or leading the new direction? On one hand he's been quite innovative with some of the training stuff. On the other, he's been very slow to react to correct issues on his team that even the fans can spot and rectify (LBs, tackling, snap count, O-line, Pouncey head-bob, playcalling, excessive blitzing) . He's running a version of a very established gameplan, with not much in the way of variation.

So, a Gamble/Lazor ticket would certainly bring change and make Philbin's position an interesting one, but wouldn't necessarily mean we end up with anything resembling a Chip Kelly gameplan.
So, even if we knew it was going to be those two, we still wouldn't be any the wiser as to what kind of players they would like to draft.

I don't think we make a wholesale change toward Kelly's system, but we borrow some of the ideas and concepts...especially in the running game. As far as talent evaluation, the Philly offensive line is the model for what we want. All of their personnel can get to the second level. I think their eye for personnel fits some of Philbin's preferred concepts.

Based on our interest in bill lazor and possibly Tom gamble. It seems like we are looking for a philly approach. So, who would be the prospects that make the most sense in that scheme

You might be on to something there.....The Dion Jordan pick and even Mike Wallace fit that scheme.

It seems to be the future of the NFL with the opened up passing rules and high scoring games.

Only problem so far is that Tom Gamble has yet to be contacted for the GM position.

I don't think we make a wholesale change toward Kelly's system, but we borrow some of the ideas and concepts...especially in the running game. As far as talent evaluation, the Philly offensive line is the model for what we want. All of their personnel can get to the second level. I think their eye for personnel fits some of Philbin's preferred concepts.

absolutely

Back
Top Bottom