Picking a College Team | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Picking a College Team

saves said:
Amen. I think thats the best way to come across a favorite team, rooting for the hometown boys. Any other way just seems kinda fake.

:hmmm: - why does this sound so familiar... i remember gonzo giving out a vinnie for a similar thread about so called "real fans..."

saves said:
Amen. I think thats the best way to come across a favorite team, rooting for the hometown boys. Any other way just seems kinda fake.

Rich, coming from a citizen of OHIO on a DOLPHINS MESSAGE BOARD:lol:

But for me, it was and always has been Texas. I root for the 'Horns almost as much as I do for the Phins. I also like the Louisville Cardinals....I'm not too sure why, but I just like watching their games, it seems pretty mellow to me. Michael Bush is my favorite player in college football too.

Trick is, just watch some games, find some players and teams you like, and go from there.

saves said:

Unless, of course, you are from ohio apparently. The two people I have seen say something like this don't even live in Miami and yet claim to be Dolphins fans. Hypocritical? It's a stupid idea.

As for college, I am an ASU fan because I go there, and I follow LSU because I was stationed there and hung out with a lot of cool Louisianians (?). I also follow OSU a lot, even though (GASP) I have never stepped foot in Ohio (did drive through once, but didn't actually "step" anywhere).

Gonzo said:
Unless, of course, you are from ohio apparently. The two people I have seen say something like this don't even live in Miami and yet claim to be Dolphins fans. Hypocritical? It's a stupid idea.

As for college, I am an ASU fan because I go there, and I follow LSU because I was stationed there and hung out with a lot of cool Louisianians (?). I also follow OSU a lot, even though (GASP) I have never stepped foot in Ohio (did drive through once, but didn't actually "step" anywhere).
You are right about me not living in Miami. Don't give me that "Claim to be a Dolphin fan" stuff though. I started liking them when I was 4 years old because I liked the Dolphin on their helmet. That was 34 years ago. I didn't say he HAD to like a hometown team, I just said I was born and bred Buckeyes. One ohio guy said it would be fake so don't clump us all together!!!!

Phinz4Life said:
I've been watching college football extensively for the past two years now (before I watched the occasional game), and, like every sport, I want to have a favorite team. A team to follow and root for. Unfortunately, there aren't any big schools around me in upstate New York that have football teams that are any good.

How should I solve this little dilemma?

Edit: And my college is a D3 school with no football program..

Find a team that you like..... whats the biggest major school near where you live.... Penn State? ;)

Phinz4Life said:
I've been watching college football extensively for the past two years now (before I watched the occasional game), and, like every sport, I want to have a favorite team. A team to follow and root for. Unfortunately, there aren't any big schools around me in upstate New York that have football teams that are any good.

How should I solve this little dilemma?

Edit: And my college is a D3 school with no football program..

Go with a Big Ten team. Since you're closest to Penn State that would be a good choice for you. If you want to help pay player salaries, then pick The Ohio State............

unifiedtheory said:
That is CRAP.

I live in Vancouver. I've been a Dolphins fan since the early 80's, an Oakland A's fan since the early 80's, a Boston Bruins fan since birth and a Quebec Nordique/Colorado Av's fan since the early 80's...to say "you should root for your hometeam or you are fake" is GARBAGE.

Hey Everyone, this is the College Forum, my being a "so called" Dolphins fan has nothing to do with college football or this post!

I've never been to Miami in my life yet have remained a Dolphins fan through out, on a professional level its totally different, but this is the college forum, we are talking about college team.

I have no problem with this issue, it is just my personal opinion on it, I wouldn't attack someone for liking a college team that wasn't near them. I always felt that the college atmosphere, the college envoirment led me towards the teams I root for above all. You don't see that on the professional level nearly as much, or it is limited to just a certain area, at least in my experience. I like alot of teams around the country, but when I really have to identify a team, i've just been programed to root for the one that it seems all my family and friends are either fans of, or fans of their rivals. It lends excitement to the games and leads to some great times.

And I should probably rephrase saying "fake" to "lacking the enviorment". I don't at all disagree with liking a team that is not in your region, I just think it lends to more fun when they are. Thats probably true at every level though, but I've had a great time as a Dolphins fan in Ohio so to each his own.

And before you go looking for the smallest reason to jump on someone, like always, why don't you respond with a less aggressive statment, you just lend to all the bull**** that is seriously reducing the quality of the board.

Dude I grew up in RI but the only "home" team I like is the Boston Bruins, I HATE the Pats, always have, and baseball bores me to watch (played it for like 7 years though) but I always like the Seattle Mariners cuz of Ken Griffey Jr. (I was young when I started, lol) although I will say, even as a non-baseball fan the Sox/Yanks rivalry is interesting. I don't like basketball one bit so I don't like the Celtics either, lol. I'm also pretty impartial to the BC Eagles, I will root for them sometimes and against them others. For me the way I ended up picking my favorites was when I was little I just fond someone I liekd on the team, lol, hence my favorite baseball team being the damn MARINERS when they SUCK now (I think, like I said, don't follw baseball at all) and when I grew up on the opposite coast. I remember being in 2nd grade and seeing Dan Marino play the Pats at my grandparents house. Up until then I just said I liked the Raiders because EVERYONE did, lol, and I was like 6 or 7 so I didn't know any better. Then I saw Dan Marino play and for some reason something about him, and the Dolphins in general just stuck with me, so they became my new "favorite" team, which was still just saying it's who I liked, since it was 2nd grade, lol. Then I really started follwing them the next season and ever since then I have worshipped them. As far as my favorite college team, the NATIONAL CHAMPION LONGHORNS :D , I started liking them a few years after I started liking the Dolphins, but for a very weird reason. My grandma had gotten me this longsleeved t-shirt of theirs, and I remember it clear as day, it was white with little longhorns logos going down the sleeves and then a big one on the front. I thought the logo and shirt was so cool, so I started calling them my favorite team. Up until then I just said the Miami Hurricanes were my favorite college team, just because the Miami Dolphins were my favorite pro team and I figured it went good together, haha. But then I got that shirt and the Longhorns became my team, and then once I started taking PLAYING football more seriously I started WATCHING football more seriously so then the Longhorns and Dolphins were REALLY my favorite teams, cuz I started follwing them and everything not just saying they were my favorite. Anyway, that was my own personal story on how I picked my teams, but obviously you're much older than 2nd and 3rd grade, lol, so I don't think that method will work too well for you.

saves said:
Hey Everyone, this is the College Forum, my being a "so called" Dolphins fan has nothing to do with college football or this post!

I've never been to Miami in my life yet have remained a Dolphins fan through out, on a professional level its totally different, but this is the college forum, we are talking about college team.

I have no problem with this issue, it is just my personal opinion on it, I wouldn't attack someone for liking a college team that wasn't near them. I always felt that the college atmosphere, the college envoirment led me towards the teams I root for above all. You don't see that on the professional level nearly as much, or it is limited to just a certain area, at least in my experience. I like alot of teams around the country, but when I really have to identify a team, i've just been programed to root for the one that it seems all my family and friends are either fans of, or fans of their rivals. It lends excitement to the games and leads to some great times.

And I should probably rephrase saying "fake" to "lacking the enviorment". I don't at all disagree with liking a team that is not in your region, I just think it lends to more fun when they are. Thats probably true at every level though, but I've had a great time as a Dolphins fan in Ohio so to each his own.

And before you go looking for the smallest reason to jump on someone, like always, why don't you respond with a less aggressive statment, you just lend to all the bull**** that is seriously reducing the quality of the board.

Did you just blame me for reducing the quality of this message board?

I was responding to your comment. The statement YOU made started a hell of a lot more of a debate then the comment I made...scroll up and you'll see.

unifiedtheory said:
Did you just blame me for reducing the quality of this message board?

I was responding to your comment. The statement YOU made started a hell of a lot more of a debate then the comment I made...scroll up and you'll see.

I did say that. Your response was attacking and I found it offensive. There are much more civil ways to debate.

And I don't see how the 2 sentences I said made so much of a fuss. There is really nothing but a small dose of opinion taken out of context. Some people just need to chill and have spirited debate instead of just trying to prove someone wrong. And why should I respond to somthing like this.
:shakeno: Thats crap. I can see the "Home Team" loyalty, but don't say you can't like a team if their not local, it makes no sense.

Did I say in my statement that you can't root any team you choose, or you shouldn't? No. It just not worth responding too,

College Football : West Virginia

Pro Football- Miami dolphins

College basketball- West Virginia, duke

Pro basketball- Memphis Grizziles

MLB: Atlanta Braves

Hockey: well, hockey sucks excepts for the fights ofcouse:lol:

saves said:
Did I say in my statement that you can't root any team you choose, or you shouldn't? No. It just not worth responding too,

No your right, you didn't say "can't" you said "fake" which is worse IMO.

SpeedRush99 said:
No your right, you didn't say "can't" you said "fake" which is worse IMO.

I started the sentence by saying "I believe", like what I was about to say is just my thoughts on it, not that you shouldn't or whatever. I'm sorry for making such a controversial statment.

Stoy10 said:
Go with a Big Ten team. Since you're closest to Penn State that would be a good choice for you. If you want to help pay player salaries, then pick The Ohio State............
dumbest comment ever!

LtDan said:
You are right about me not living in Miami. Don't give me that "Claim to be a Dolphin fan" stuff though. I started liking them when I was 4 years old because I liked the Dolphin on their helmet. That was 34 years ago. I didn't say he HAD to like a hometown team, I just said I was born and bred Buckeyes. One ohio guy said it would be fake so don't clump us all together!!!!

Whoa, calm down there Turbo and reread what I wrote. I was responding sarcastically to the idea that fans from outside the team's hometown are fake, which I found particularly funny because it was a comment coming from someone in Ohio who claims to be a Fin fan, which is hypocritical. And I didn't even really attack him because he didn't outright say it and because Saves is a quality poster. I just felt that statement was out of line and said so.

Back
Top Bottom