Positional Analysis 2009 Draft: Running Backs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Positional Analysis 2009 Draft: Running Backs

RealDriscoll

Still Perfect.. and You're Not.
Reaction score
Position: Running Back
Grade: A

1. Knowshon Moreno-Georgia
2. Chris Wells-Ohio State
3. LeSean McCoy-Pittsburgh
4. Donald Brown-Connecticut
5. Shonn Greene-Iowa
6. Jeremiah Johnson-Oregon-Senior
7. Andre Brown-NC State-Senior
8. Rashad Jennings-Liberty-Senior
9. Javon Ringer-Michigan State
10. James Davis-Clemson
11. Glen Coffee-Running Back-Alabama
12. PJ Hill-Wisconsin
13. Gantrell Johnson-Colorado State
14. Devin Moore-Wyoming-Senior
15. Arian Foster-Tennessee-Senior
16. Cedric Peerman-Virginia-Senior
17. Kory Sheets-Purdue-Senior
18. Aaron Brown-TCU-Senior
19. Javarris Williams-Tennessee State
20. Ian Johnson-Boise State-Senior
21. Brad Lester-Auburn-Senior
22. Marlon Lucky-Nebraska-Senior
23. Brandon Ore-West Liberty State
24. Tyrell Sutton-Northwestern-Senior
25. Marcus Thigpin-Indiana-Senior
26. Keegan Herring-Arizona State-Senior
27. Antone Smith-Florida State-Senior
28. Khalil Bell-UCLA-Senior

I think this years' Running Back class is stout from top to bottom. Once again this position is strengthened by the amount of declaring Junior talent. At the top the first name that comes to mind is Chris "Beanie" Wells. Wells is a power back who has homerun hitting ability. His durablity is what concerns me but he is defiantly a 25 touches per game back. Next there is Knowshon Moreno who I think will turn out to be the best back in this draft and I think will be awarded Offensive Rookie of the Year at seasons end. He reminds me of a young LaDanian Tomlinson with his cuts and ability to catch out of the back-field. What I love most about Moreno is his willingess to take on blitzing linebackers. LeSean McCoy might not be selected in Round 1 but trust me he has Round1 talent. This kid could turn out to be a very good back in the NFL. His speed and quickness are unmeasurable.

Andre Brown is a guy who received a lot of chatter during Senior Bowl week and is one of those guys who could be a better pro than collegiate player. he sure has the size and power. Shonn Greene and Donald Brown entered after their Junior season and both will be gone in Round 2. Donald Brown is someone who truely intrigues me after watching him run on tape. The guy is powerful and smart plus he doesn't fumble often. I hang the overrated tag on Greene but like the kid so i hope he can prove me wrong.

Jeremiah Johnson is a guy who could be an absolute steal in Round 3. Watching him in the Senior Bowl highlighted the ability he has. Javon Ringer will drop a little due to injury and the fact that he is 5"8 but the guy is a runner as he proved at Michigan State. James Davis is the top rated Senior and he has a solid build and I could see a team like the Chargers taking a shot on him in Round 2-3.

Rashard Jennings is a small school guy who can get it done. He could fall into late Round 2 peding his combine. I am very weary on a guy like Arian Foster as he did not produce as expected as the big man on campus at Tennessee. Glen Coffee is a steal in Round 5 as he was the biggest weapon on a solid Crimson Tide team. Kory Sheets out of Purdue is a guy I am high on in Round 5. I think he can do it all and a team will be very happy with him.

There are some good story lines here as well. Will the Boise State pride and joy ,Ian Johnson be drafted? How about Wisconsin's PJ Hill who at one time looked like a Round 1 lock but spends more time on the IR than on the field.

I don't think the Dolphins will be very active in this market. It depends on what they think on extending Ronnie Brown. With Ronnie, Ricky Williams, and Patrick Cobbs on the roster Running Back doesn't seem like a big need for us. You never know.

Next Up...Tight Ends

Not to stir up anything but if C.Wells dropped to us do you think we'd take him and attempt to trade Ronnie in his last year.

Ronnie will be getting a contract 3/4 times bigger atleast then a late round draft pick. He could be traded for a player of need or draft picks, Arizona would look good for that.

Not to stir up anything but if C.Wells dropped to us do you think we'd take him and attempt to trade Ronnie in his last year.

Ronnie will be getting a contract 3/4 times bigger atleast then a late round draft pick. He could be traded for a player of need or draft picks, Arizona would look good for that.

If Ronnie was traded....it better be because they signed Brandon Jacobs in free agency...

You don't get rid of a proven, pro bowl caliber back like Ronnie Brown for a player who hasn't played a down of NFL football and could be the bust of the century...like all those Big 10 backs have a history of being...(Ron Dayne, Ki-Jana Carter, Chris Perry, T.J. Duckett, Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas, etc., etc....)

i like jermiah johnson as a 3rd down back and receiver out of the backfield. what round does he come off the board??? undersized to play every down but i liked what i saw at the senior bowl.

i'd say 3rd-4th round looks about right.

Position: Running Back
Grade: A

1. Knowshon Moreno-Georgia
2. Chris Wells-Ohio State
3. LeSean McCoy-Pittsburgh
4. Donald Brown-Connecticut
5. Shonn Greene-Iowa
6. Jeremiah Johnson-Oregon-Senior
7. Andre Brown-NC State-Senior
8. Rashad Jennings-Liberty-Senior
9. Javon Ringer-Michigan State
10. James Davis-Clemson
11. Glen Coffee-Running Back-Alabama
12. PJ Hill-Wisconsin
13. Gantrell Johnson-Colorado State
14. Devin Moore-Wyoming-Senior
15. Arian Foster-Tennessee-Senior
16. Cedric Peerman-Virginia-Senior
17. Kory Sheets-Purdue-Senior
18. Aaron Brown-TCU-Senior
19. Javarris Williams-Tennessee State
20. Ian Johnson-Boise State-Senior
21. Brad Lester-Auburn-Senior
22. Marlon Lucky-Nebraska-Senior
23. Brandon Ore-West Liberty State
24. Tyrell Sutton-Northwestern-Senior
25. Marcus Thigpin-Indiana-Senior
26. Keegan Herring-Arizona State-Senior
27. Antone Smith-Florida State-Senior
28. Khalil Bell-UCLA-Senior

I think this years' Running Back class is stout from top to bottom. Once again this position is strengthened by the amount of declaring Junior talent. At the top the first name that comes to mind is Chris "Beanie" Wells. Wells is a power back who has homerun hitting ability. His durablity is what concerns me but he is defiantly a 25 touches per game back. Next there is Knowshon Moreno who I think will turn out to be the best back in this draft and I think will be awarded Offensive Rookie of the Year at seasons end. He reminds me of a young LaDanian Tomlinson with his cuts and ability to catch out of the back-field. What I love most about Moreno is his willingess to take on blitzing linebackers. LeSean McCoy might not be selected in Round 1 but trust me he has Round1 talent. This kid could turn out to be a very good back in the NFL. His speed and quickness are unmeasurable.

Andre Brown is a guy who received a lot of chatter during Senior Bowl week and is one of those guys who could be a better pro than collegiate player. he sure has the size and power. Shonn Greene and Donald Brown entered after their Junior season and both will be gone in Round 2. Donald Brown is someone who truely intrigues me after watching him run on tape. The guy is powerful and smart plus he doesn't fumble often. I hang the overrated tag on Greene but like the kid so i hope he can prove me wrong.

Jeremiah Johnson is a guy who could be an absolute steal in Round 3. Watching him in the Senior Bowl highlighted the ability he has. Javon Ringer will drop a little due to injury and the fact that he is 5"8 but the guy is a runner as he proved at Michigan State. James Davis is the top rated Senior and he has a solid build and I could see a team like the Chargers taking a shot on him in Round 2-3.

Rashard Jennings is a small school guy who can get it done. He could fall into late Round 2 peding his combine. I am very weary on a guy like Arian Foster as he did not produce as expected as the big man on campus at Tennessee. Glen Coffee is a steal in Round 5 as he was the biggest weapon on a solid Crimson Tide team. Kory Sheets out of Purdue is a guy I am high on in Round 5. I think he can do it all and a team will be very happy with him.

There are some good story lines here as well. Will the Boise State pride and joy ,Ian Johnson be drafted? How about Wisconsin's PJ Hill who at one time looked like a Round 1 lock but spends more time on the IR than on the field.

I don't think the Dolphins will be very active in this market. It depends on what they think on extending Ronnie Brown. With Ronnie, Ricky Williams, and Patrick Cobbs on the roster Running Back doesn't seem like a big need for us. You never know.

Next Up...Tight Ends

We're in agreement on Moreno....best back in this draft IMO...his running style is made for early success in the NFL...

I have my doubts about Chris Wells...he's a 230+ pound back that runs like a scatback...he'll find out quickly that won't work at the next level...he does have McFadden type stiff arm though...he needs to run a little tougher IMO...

Donald Brown confirmed what the knock on him was in the some of the All Star Challenge drills....which is bad feet....

Donald Brown and Andre Brown should switch places IMO...

Couldn't disagree with you more concerning Shonn Greene...Greene and LeShean McCoy are the two backs behind Moreno IMO....

alright, I have a few issues. First off I like Shonn Greene a little more than donald brown but thats being picky, we differ a fair amount, I have trouble believing that Mike Goodson isn't a pick in the first 4 rounds, here is my top 10:
1. C. Wells* - he is the best pure runner in the class, not the most complete, but the best runner.
2. K. Moreno* - Most complete back in this class, do it all type.
3. L. McCoy* - another complete back, great pass catcher.
4. S. Greene* - unreal power, average speed and little expierience but displays great vision and if you can run for 100+ every game thats some serious consistency.
5. D. Brown* - Good cut back runner, intriguing.
6. A. Brown - good combination of size and speed.
7. R. Jennings - i think hes a third rounder, solid power runner with solid speed for size.
8. J. Davis - good production from a pitiful offensive line.
9. C. Peerman - has impressed me the most out of any of the backs, runs with fantastic power.
10. M. Goodson* - unbelievable speed, maybe the fastest guy in the class.

I think McCoy will end up being the best back in this draft class when its all said and done.

Back
Top Bottom