QB and offense lead league?

ChrisHanson

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
E. Manning

Flacco

Smith

Brady

I see one elite QB (Brady), one very good QB (Manning)and 2 so-so QB's that are playing in the AFC and NFC Championship games.

Two of the teams have top 3 defenses (49ers and Raven), one has the 15th ranked defense (Pats) and the Giants have the 25th.

The Ravens have the 15th ranked offense. The 49ers have the 11th ranked offense. The Giants have the 9th ranked offense. The Pats have the 3rd ranked offense.

It seems that the Giants are the anomaly here being that they don't have BOTH an offense and defense ranked in the top half of the league. However, their defense sure as hell played like a top defense... 2008 Super Bowl anyone?

I don't buy the "elite" QB and offense driven league crap. A well rounded team with a serviceable QB will get you far into the playoffs and it's better to have a dominate "D" with a serviceable QB than a dominate offense and a crap defense.

you need a combination(unless you have a Brady who can win w/ anyone), you need quality QB play and good defense.

you need a combination(unless you have a Brady who can win w/ anyone), you need quality QB play and good defense.

Not according to some of the pundits on TV or some people around here. "Elite" QB is all they think is needed.

And what has Brady won since his defense hasn't been up to par? Granted they may reach the Super Bowl this year with the 15th ranked defense, but the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl with a defense ranked lower than 5th with Brady. If the 49ers and Giants can beat the Saints and Packers they sure as hell can beat the Patriots.

Not according to some of the pundits on TV or some people around here. "Elite" QB is all they think is needed.

And what has Brady won since his defense hasn't been up to par? Granted they may reach the Super Bowl this year with the 15th ranked defense, but the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl with a defense ranked lower than 5th with Brady. If the 49ers and Giants can beat the Saints and Packers they sure as hell can beat the Patriots.

What has Brady won? I dunno...16-0, conference championship, fluke play from a SB. Pretty good IMO.

Nobody thinks all you need is a QB. Thats just what people interpret because they dont actually read posts. What people are saying is that you need a franchise QB to be a team thats in contention every year. Its very hard to be a consistent winner without one. Look at it man. San Fran's rise is directly related to Alex Smith becoming a viable QB. Their defense has been great, but it took Alex Smith putting up 38 points in a shootout for them to get to the NFCCG. The Saints steamroll them if they dont have good QB play. The Giants...great defensive effort, but Eli drove nail after nail into GB's coffin when they werent driving them themselves. Pats...I dont care what the rankings say, that defense is God awful. No two ways around it. They win because Brady and the offense can outscore anyone. The Ravens beat a rookie QB at home.

Like it or not, its a QB driven league now. Defense still matter obviously, but think about how important one player, the QB, is relative to 11+ other players on defense. Tom Brady is more valuable to the Pats success than that entire defense. Same with a number of other teams. When you can compare one position's value to an entire defense's value, they are pretty damn important.

E. Manning

Flacco

Smith

Brady

I see one elite QB (Brady), one very good QB (Manning)and 2 so-so QB's that are playing in the AFC and NFC Championship games.

Two of the teams have top 3 defenses (49ers and Raven), one has the 15th ranked defense (Pats) and the Giants have the 25th.

The Ravens have the 15th ranked offense. The 49ers have the 11th ranked offense. The Giants have the 9th ranked offense. The Pats have the 3rd ranked offense.

It seems that the Giants are the anomaly here being that they don't have BOTH an offense and defense ranked in the top half of the league. However, their defense sure as hell played like a top defense... 2008 Super Bowl anyone?

I don't buy the "elite" QB and offense driven league crap. A well rounded team with a serviceable QB will get you far into the playoffs and it's better to have a dominate "D" with a serviceable QB than a dominate offense and a crap defense.

I'd go one step further.

The only real way to beat a high powered offense is to get to hit the QB hard and often.
I think the philosophy that has continuously been built within our FO is to build a defensive line much like the Gints have. Guys that can play both the run and still get to the QB.
Unfortunately, some that should've been able to, haven't (Odrick in particular)

Going into the draft, a "Franchise" QB is this mythical Unicorn type phenomenon. It is as much luck getting one (Brady or Rodgers) or having the right pick in the right year.
Unless you are in a great position to get that guy that you really really covet, it makes lots of sense to build around that spot until that rare Unicorn is staring you in the eyes. Then, you not only have your unicorn, but you have a team around him to support his progress.

What has Brady won? I dunno...16-0, conference championship, fluke play from a SB. Pretty good IMO.

Nobody thinks all you need is a QB. Thats just what people interpret because they dont actually read posts. What people are saying is that you need a franchise QB to be a team thats in contention every year. Its very hard to be a consistent winner without one. Look at it man. San Fran's rise is directly related to Alex Smith becoming a viable QB. Their defense has been great, but it took Alex Smith putting up 38 points in a shootout for them to get to the NFCCG. The Saints steamroll them if they dont have good QB play. The Giants...great defensive effort, but Eli drove nail after nail into GB's coffin when they werent driving them themselves. Pats...I dont care what the rankings say, that defense is God awful. No two ways around it. They win because Brady and the offense can outscore anyone. The Ravens beat a rookie QB at home.

Like it or not, its a QB driven league now. Defense still matter obviously, but think about how important one player, the QB, is relative to 11+ other players on defense. Tom Brady is more valuable to the Pats success than that entire defense. Same with a number of other teams. When you can compare one position's value to an entire defense's value, they are pretty damn important.

Tomato, tomato.

IF Aaron Rodgers had a defense, he wouldn't have had to score 30+ points a game, and they wouldn't have been clobbered by the Gints.

Having a QB is obviously great, but without the supporting cast, he's just another all-pro player.

Back
Top Bottom