QB Greatness hard to predict? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Greatness hard to predict?

enigmatics

Go get me a juice box!
Reaction score
Here's an excellent article written over at ProFootballWeekly.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2004/reynolds062104.htm

Bears GM Jerry Angelo said:
“I don’t think anyone really knows that a quarterback can be 'special' for sure,†Angelo said. “I was enamored with Elway and Peyton Manning. But there are just a few (special) quarterbacks. It’s not about the mechanics, the arm strength, the size. The intangibles are so important. How a quarterback handles adversity when he takes over; how he gets through the growing pains is so important. In the beginning, the quarterback is a sum of the parts around him.â€Â

Texans GM Charlie Casserly said:
True, less-talented quarterbacks can also be a product of their environment. Consider Couch’s failure in Cleveland  never did the Browns assemble a respectable supporting cast. The team hasn’t selected a wide receiver in the first round or signed a top-flight pass catcher since the franchise returned to the NFL in 1999. The running game and offensive line have been inconsistent, if not suspect. Not exactly the preferred environment for developing a franchise quarterback.

“Speaking firsthand, when we took Trent Dilfer and Vinny Testaverde when I was (in Tampa), there wasn’t a real good supporting cast,†Angelo said. “And to me it starts with the offensive line. In order to have a quarterback develop, he has to have time, not just in terms of experience, but time in the pocket. Those teams that pick real high (tend to have) a poor team and poor offensive line, and not much if any skill to help him. That’s a tough dynamic. To get out of that, he has to be special.â€Â

I couldn't agree more with this whole article. It's amazing to me all the things that work against a QB getting developed in this league. Like Sage for example.........I think the perenial arm of the NFL holds this guy back. Too many QB's on the roster with similar abilities, not enough reps with the first team to get an adequate look. And this article points out what I know I've always said, the O-line is crucial to the development, especially early on. Can't forget a quality QB coach, one who's going to be on the QB's case from day 1 to improve in every shape or form (which I think we got in Trestman IMO).

Ya we got a good qb coach, look at wut trestman did for gannon... i hope he can do the same for feely or fiedler!!!

Back
Top Bottom