QB starters and finishers - A new ERA? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB starters and finishers - A new ERA?

FINintheMOON

Practice Squad
Reaction score
"It's kind of the difference between a starting pitcher and relief pitcher," Saban said. "In both cases the guy has to pitch well. Maybe that's something we need to be working on a little bit, so when he does have to start he's going to be able to have the right disposition ... just like he's in a comfort zone coming off the bench."

Now this is a direct quote from SABAN that can be found at:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolnotes21dec21,0,4929415.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

I am a type of guy that likes change... Change is a good thing because it is a sign of things in progress and making current situations better... Change also, when implemented at the correct time, can be an overwhelming force to deal with, if you are on the other side!

I know that the "READ" above is not saying that a 2 QB game plan is the way to go... SABAN is trying to say that SAGE needs to be taught in how to be a starter...

My scenario is this... IF the starter is not playing well, why not relieve him?

Well we can go into the mental aspects and the hit on the starter's confidence, or we can diiscuss the adjustments that the entire team has to make in those scenarios... BUT... If it was a regular routine, and we don't worry about personal stats, why can't it work?

Baseball is a great example of this as NICK eluded to in his quote! In baseball, there are starters, relievers and closers... How hard would that be to implement into the NFL QB position? We already know that GUS and SAGE has a 1-2 punch!!! When GUS is having a tough game and is hurt, SAGE comes in to CLOSE IT OUT!!!

Based on NICK's comments, I wouldn't put it past him to have already implemented this into the team! GUS, of late, SEEMS to go down with an injury when the game plan starts to fail... This may be coincidence as well...

No... I don't have an answer for the BROWNS game, but I think NICK was experimenting with the idea then... IF GUS could not start the game, why would he be backup and relieve SAGE? Why not put CLEO in there for backup duties?

The media would have a FIELD DAY on this type of thing!!! QB controvery would be all over the press!!! Every sports caster will be saying ... "WHAT THE "F" is going on???" The QBs will also have issues with it for a short period of time... I feel that if a QB knows he can throw a "NO HITTER" or "CAN CLOSE A GAME", he will be MUCH more productive... Even in Baseball, if you lead by more than 4, you can throw the 9th inning...

More and more we are seeing that this type of thing in the NFL... DENVER started it with the RB by committee... half the teams in the NFL are now doing it... Look at how many RB tandums there are now verses 5 years ago...

Why not be the lead on the QB TANDUM!!!? You talk about game planning problems... That WOULD REALLY create issues!!!

I believe that we already have a tandum in GUS and SAGE... And if I am right about this... You will NOT see us draft a QB in the first 3 rounds next year...

Just a Thought!:D

Back
Top Bottom