Question about A. Boldin vs. E. Moore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about A. Boldin vs. E. Moore

Super_Duper85

Deep Threat
Reaction score
I know a lot of complaining has been done about not drafting Boldin. My question is: Is the complaining based on not identifying talent or purely based on Boldin's stats? The reason I ask is are there any guarantees he would have put up pro bowl numbers for us? After all, the Cardinals are terrible and he was one of their best players. With Ricky, Chris and Randy carrying the load offensively, would Boldin have put up big numbers for us??? I am not suggesting we shouldn't have drafted him, it's just can statistics always be trusted? Huge numbers for a weak team don't always translate to big stats for a team with talent.

I think the complaining is the fact that Bolden was successful in an area of need. Miami really needed a second wide reciever.

Not only that, but Boldin was a guy that was on our watch list. Spielman wanted Boldin, Wannstedt chose Moore. Thats what makes everyone mad, the fact that we had correctly identified his talent level (or at least, as much or more than any team other than the Cards) yet we passed on him in favor of a guy who spent 2003 injured.

I think the frustration mounts when once again, we don't see anything from our big draft day decision, and a guy we supposedly came close to picking, goes on a tear like no other rookie EVER has. Ya, there should probably be a little second guessing the management on that fumble.

I may be wrong, but we had acquired DT from Washington by that time. From every indication of last year's off season, everyone, including me thought that DT was a steal in the way he looked. While Boldin was someone we wanted at draft time, non of us didn't think we weren't covered based on DT's off season performance, it was only the regular season that really made us question the boldin vs Moore thing. One tearing up the NFL, the other out for the season. and DT not having a good year or tc didn't carry over to regular season like we'd hope. So the original question asked by the poster is a valid one. Yes and no, we saw potential in Boldin at the draft spot, but we cried when we took moore, but we were comforted by DT's mini camp and TC performance and went into the season looking forward to it.

Well In my opinion we don't have a guy with a cannon of an arm like Jeff Blake. Jeff blake has twice the arm power that Fiedler does and always had one of the strongest arms in the league. He hit Boldin good a lot last season.

I do not think that Bolden would of had as an amazing season with the Dolphins. However I believe he would of jumped on time and had over 27 catches. I feel he could of helped Miami win at least 1 more game.

At the heart of the issue, is the debate about picking the best player or a need player. We had DT, whom we liked at the time and Wanny thought we needed a LB and Moore was the highest one on our draft board at the time. Boldin might have been the best player on the board.

I think you take the best player. That's probably why I would have taken Wolfork at our pick. Great talent. Or you trade down and add picks. But going the need route seems more like a Coach move, while going the best talent route is a GM move. So making Rick the GM is probably a good organizational move. Coaches tend to be short sighted, especially ones that are on borrowed time like Wanny.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I do not think that Bolden would of had as an amazing season with the Dolphins. However I believe he would of jumped on time and had over 27 catches. I feel he could of helped Miami win at least 1 more game.
HArd to imagine how Boldin could have been worse than DT.

MDFINFAN said:
I may be wrong, but we had acquired DT from Washington by that time. From every indication of last year's off season, everyone, including me thought that DT was a steal in the way he looked. While Boldin was someone we wanted at draft time, non of us didn't think we weren't covered based on DT's off season performance, it was only the regular season that really made us question the boldin vs Moore thing. One tearing up the NFL, the other out for the season. and DT not having a good year or tc didn't carry over to regular season like we'd hope. So the original question asked by the poster is a valid one. Yes and no, we saw potential in Boldin at the draft spot, but we cried when we took moore, but we were comforted by DT's mini camp and TC performance and went into the season looking forward to it.
VERY good point MD. HATE to defend wanny, but that was probably his thinking. Yes it did stink last year watching our top pick being hurt and another tearing it up, but I say let's at least wait and see what happens this season goes with Eddie.

juniorseau55 said:
Well In my opinion we don't have a guy with a cannon of an arm like Jeff Blake. Jeff blake has twice the arm power that Fiedler does and always had one of the strongest arms in the league. He hit Boldin good a lot last season.

I think Jeff Blake has to be one of the most screwed-over quarterbacks in recent memory. I don't remember the situation in Cincy on how he left, but I know he put up some decent numbers with almost nothing around him. Then, he goes to New Orleans, is playing well, then gets hurt. Brooks comes in, and Blake never gets a chance to get his spot back. He goes to Baltimore and plays pretty well considering the lack of offense there, then Billick dumps him to the curb for some rookie who didn't even complete 50% of his passes his senior year of college. And finally, he goes to Arizona, and is almost immediately supplanted once again for a younger guy. I mean, look at his stats: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1017 In seasons where he's started 8 or more games, only once has he thrown more picks than TDs, and he had more TD's than picks every other year except for one where he broke even. I sure wish the Dolphins had given him a look before the 2000 season.

Next Question...

Given DT's perfromance, was it more his fault or the QB's??? If we draft Boldin, would he have done better than DT? How much of the passing game is about the receiver getting open vs. the Qb getting him the ball??

Super_Duper85 said:
Given DT's perfromance, was it more his fault or the QB's??? If we draft Boldin, would he have done better than DT? How much of the passing game is about the receiver getting open vs. the Qb getting him the ball??

IMO DT was the larger problem. Aside from the obvious jump too soon thing, DT just never seemed to get any separation.

Super_Duper85 said:
It sounds like you're indirectly asking whether Boldin is the real deal. Well, YES, he is. He plays much faster than his 40 time, and he has good size, strength and quickness.
He was a former QB and knows how to find the holes in defenses. Him or even Kelley Washington would have made better picks than Eddie Moore IMO. I just hope Moore is able to contribute this year.

MDFINFAN said:
\

I wasn't posting on here...but I can tell you I didnt like Eddie Moore when we picked him....although to be honest I was wanting Kelly Washington and not Anquan Boldin. I didnt think DT was the answer. Whether or not KW would have been any better for us than Eddie "Do Less With" Moore, who knows.

But I remember hating the Jamar Fletcher pick..and hating the Eddie Moore pick. Its been a while since we've had our first pick in the draft pan out.

Back
Top Bottom