Question about Ricky | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about Ricky

Nature Boy

Boys Keep Swinging
Reaction score
Ricky is with out a doubt my favorite player in a Miami dolphin’s uniform, and I don’t think that I will ever be happier then I was when he broke his first run against the Jets. That season was amazing for him.

Now, maybe I am simply being anal, but is it at all possible that his breakout season was just a flash in the pan? I know our O-Line was terrible and our passing attack (what passing attack?) was lacking… but am I the only one who thought that Ricky didn’t quite have the same stuff in his second season with us? Obviously we can’t expect 1800 yards per season, but to average three and a half yards per carry is… well… terrible. It may be foolish to worry about Ricky with our current QB situation, but it may also be foolish to let our QB situation make us overlook a drastic decrease in performance.

If you were an opposing team, how worried would you be about Ricky after last year’s performance? Was it his fault or the fault of his supporting cast?

Ricky could neither style nor profile last year as the poor guy was getting hit in the backfield as soon as he got the handoff on what seemed like at least half of his runs between the tackles. I'm amazed the guy gained 1300 yards last year with the beating he took. The answer to your question is the supporting cast. Definitely. Wooooo!

Ricky's decrease in performance was quite obvious. Defenses that played us had the game plan "Stop Ricky". Their were eight in the box quite often against Ricky. Our Oline was very old and right now with the aqusition of David Boston starting to pan out for the good of Ricky and our passing game. Boston and Chris Chambers as our go-to guys will take those men out of the box and open the lanes for Ricky to run through. The Qb situation boggles everyones mind and I feel that A.J. Feeley has an extreme upside and that he can take the reigns of the offense.

If you were an opposing team, how worried would you be about Ricky after last year’s performance? Was it his fault or the fault of his supporting cast?

If I was the opposing team on last years schedule then I would be with all the other defenders, Right on the line waiting for Miami's predictability to take place. Run, Run, Run, was miamis mentality last season and this one I hope the mix it up alot with more passing.

Our O-line was so bad last year IMO that I think that was why Ricky looked a little hesitant to hit the hole.

finphan said:
Our O-line was so bad last year IMO that I think that was why Ricky looked a little hesitant to hit the hole.

What hole? Definitely O-line was our downfall last year. Fiedler is no Marino, but Marino would be in a morgue if he played behind that line we had last year.

Ricky was not only cursed by a bad O-Line and a even worse passing attack. Ricky was cursed by bad coaching. This year a much improved O-line and a better passing attack. The thing is, what will coaching provide us with?

no fluke

He gained over 1300 yards, behind a bad line and against defenses who knew that he was getting the ball.

Come on don't get carried away, the first season was no fluke he is a top notch back. :)

as much as you can blame the o-line.. i blame the offense as a whole...

with any passing game at all, rick would have done better...

hopefully just having a second reciever of boston's caliber will broaden the field...

the short passing game needs to improve also... konrad and mcmicheal should be

feared my defenses , the offense just didnt make enuff plays to scare any defense...

I agree with the majority of the responses... the O-line was to blame. Otherwise, would we have used our first round pick on an offensive linemen? Not a chance (unless, perhaps, we had a shot at Robert Gallery).

The only way a RB could log a season like Ricky's '02 without having true skills would be to put him with the Colts' passing game and the Ravens' offensive line. Only then could a good RB disguise himself as great.

The whole season hinges on the O-line, in my opinion. If they hold their ground, EITHER QB will suffice as there will be far less pressure. Chambers & Boston have the potential to be the most dangerous receiving pair in the league, and Ricky will have the room to do the damage we caught a glimpse of two seasons ago.

thanks guys. I understand that was a pretty rediculous comment, yet my Dolphins have gotten me rather... paranoid over the years. I think I can sleep well knowing my man Ricky is still the "Human Rhino" he two years ago.

I dont know... the way he runs has always reminded me of a rhino...

Ricky did state about mid-way through the season the he was not going 100% so that he c/save some juice for the home stretch and after that he seemed to hits the holes quicker. He did look slower in 2003, but that may have been related to getting hit by DLmen in the backfield too often.

I agree that our new O will be great and especially Ricky will be back to 2002 form (though hopefully less carries) IF our OL can be much improved. James and Carey should give us an improvement in the running as well as McK and any RG. Pass protection is still questionable.

I wish this teams biggest worry was whether or not Ricky was good or not!
Assuming the Oline is better and Feidler doesn't start, with the weapons on offense, I don't think teams will be putting 8 men in the box too often this season.

I think a lot had to do with the o-line, but Ricky was also nursing a bum shoulder that affected his running style the majority of the year. If you get a chance to watch any of last years games you will notice after about the 3rd or 4th game of the season he never switched the ball to his left arm to carry it. Just something I noticed before he it was mentioned he was having shoulder surgery in the off-season.

I can see where Natureboy is coming from. I too noticed that Ricky wasn't the same runner of 2 years ago. He didn't hit the holes as fast and I saw him trying to juke defenders in the open field rather than just running right thru them like he is known for. One interesting point I'd like to make here that caught my attention since early last year. Everybody knows about the pretty close relationship Ricky has with Jim Brown. I think Ricky has even said that Jim has been a very influential person to him not only in football but also in life. Anyway, I read an article last year that talked about how Jim told Ricky not to run as hard as in the past because he was gonna kill himself and run his carrer short kinda like he had. It stated stuff about not taking that extra hit when you're close to the sideline etc....I guess my question is number 1: Did anybody read that article? 2:What do you guys think about it? Do you think JIm has that much influence over Ricky? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom