Question about the defensive staff | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about the defensive staff

Anything short of a wildcard playoff next season and Gase is probably history.
Doubt it. Sparano survived 2010 and Philbin survived 2014. Granted, Ross’ mistake in keeping them led to lost seasons in 2011 and 2015, but lost seasons are par for the course for this team.

This team is headed for 7-9/8-8 next year at best and Gase will not be fired.

Doubt it. Sparano survived 2010 and Philbin survived 2014. Granted, Ross’ mistake in keeping them led to lost seasons in 2011 and 2015, but lost seasons are par for the course for this team.

This team is headed for 7-9/8-8 next year at best and Gase will not be fired.
Just asking, If they go 8-8 next season, would you fire him? I know a lot more would go into the equation besides the record alone, but I am curious

Just asking, If they go 8-8 next season, would you fire him? I know a lot more would go into the equation besides the record alone, but I am curious
No, I wouldn’t. But only because he at least has an excuse for why this season was garbage. Sparano and Philbin lacked any excuses for their failures.

There's whispers of a scheme change in 2019. Those whispers say Gase will move to a 3-4 but he's not doing it now because of personnel. IDK about those whispers. If a HC wants to do a scheme change he should do it immediately and begin building for that through new personnel and staff if necessary.

On the flip side of making no changes this season it keep some continuity. Miami only had one season with their DC before he headed to Denver so making another change this season would mean 2 changes in 2 seasons. We shall see.

No, I wouldn’t. But only because he at least has an excuse for why this season was garbage. Sparano and Philbin lacked any excuses for their failures.

I do not buy those excuses esp when Minnesota went to playoffs losing their starting QB and RB.
They spent 10 million on a replacement at QB and had a backup that they rode to playoffs the previous year

I do not buy those excuses esp when Minnesota went to playoffs losing their starting QB and RB.
They spent 10 million on a replacement at QB and had a backup that they rode to playoffs the previous year

Anomaly, not a trend...

Also, Gase did better than the average with teams starting a backup QB.

Anomaly, not a trend...

Also, Gase did better than the average with teams starting a backup QB.

As he should since he had a proven backup that has been here for years and a guy who has been a starter for his whole career and I was only comparing them to Minnesota who had a true backup who had showed to be no more than Matt Moore to that point

Coaches are expected to turn things around within a few years in the NFL. They don't have forever to right the ship. We can't be stuck in mediocrity. An 8-8 record in 2018 would be a huge disappointment. I think we need a wildcard birth next season.

We should call Kris Richard right away because he is an instant upgrade over Burke.
Seattle's defense wasn't great this season but they went to the superbowl twice.

I wasn't happy with the performance of the defense, but this might be one of those areas where improvement won't be apparent until training camp. I think much of the fault on defense can be blamed on the players Burke was given. The addition of a couple of linebackers and a FS could lead to rapid improvement next season.

If I was in the FO I would definitely be adding some LB's. One of them to compete with Alonso and replace him in the nickel. Also to outright replace him in 2019 when it is more feasible to cut him loose. Right now we have...

WLB Alonso
MLB McMillan
SLB Anthony

Looks to me like Alonso is the weak link on that unit as it pertains to tackling. I thought Anthony did ok coming in late. He was around the ball and flying around. If he can get the mental part of it down, he has the tools to be a better nickel LB, IMO. I would be thrilled to see Roquon take over as the WLB and nickel.

Of course the coaches are head strong Alonso supporters so I'm not sure if they will make a change. I will regain some confidence int he coaches once I see a willingness to make some changes. I don't see a $9.6M LB on our bench though. I think they roll with what we have and maybe take a 5th round LB.

I also love the idea of adding a top FS but we're back to the same of issue of already having a new contract guy at safety.

The picture will get a little clearer once FA starts.

I think that posters who want immediate results and believe that changing the coaching staff every two or three years to achieve that goal need to take some very large CHILL PILLS!

Back
Top Bottom