Question: Why is OLB such a need? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question: Why is OLB such a need?

MiamiMan147

I'm a Rocket Man
Reaction score
Seems like 50% of the posters here seem to think that the biggest need on the team is OLB. While that's a spot it would be nice to upgrade, I just don't see why its a bigger need than DB, OG/C, or WR. An LB core that features Zack, Crowder, and Spragan (+JT in 3-4) is pretty good. Spragan may not be a Probowler, but he's a solid guy. Our pass rush was already one of the best in the league (2nd behind Seattle in sacks), so its not like we have to add another blitzer opposite Taylor. Meanwhile our secondary is comprised entirely of other team's castoffs, our OL still has Seth McKinney penciled in as the starter, and our 3rd WR is Wes Welker.

Can anybody give me a good reason why we need another LB more than we need someone at the above positions?

While I do think we could use a OLB, I'm all for going WR or DB early in the draft.

b/c our scheme needs big time LB and we dont have a SLB and lacked it tremendously as it ruined our JT into the 3-4 game plan b/c they took him out on OFF

SR 7 said:
b/c our scheme needs big time LB and we dont have a SLB and lacked it tremendously as it ruined our JT into the 3-4 game plan b/c they took him out on OFF

huh?

well i dont see why so many people think we need a WR so bad, we have 2!!! pro bowl receivers, YES booker has made the probowl in his career and that was with the bears

phinfan999 said:
well i dont see why so many people think we need a WR so bad, we have 2!!! pro bowl receivers, YES booker has made the probowl in his career and that was with the bears
It could be because Nick Saban said we needed another receiver to compliment Chambers and Booker. It could also be because some feel Booker will eventually be released because of his salary and need another top flight receiver to take over when that happens.

phinfan999 said:

Well Saban tends to agree with us people that think we need WR help, we are one injury away from a major issue at WR.

My 2 cents: While a 3rd WR would be nice I dont see a rookie being a big help this year at the #3 and we already have 1 and 2 locked up. Would not mind signing Hakim to be the deep threat in 3 man lineups. Dont forget we also have Ronnie and Mcmike and only one ball. As for OLB, I love Zach and Crowder but Spragan is just a solid backup. My priority would be
S-could help in the run like a OLB
OLB
D-line....OLD
CB always need depth
O Line- Not higher on the list b/c of the way the line coach takes lemons and makes lemonade
WR- good ones can be had later.

Bowl_Bound said:
My 2 cents: While a 3rd WR would be nice I dont see a rookie being a big help this year at the #3 and we already have 1 and 2 locked up. Would not mind signing Hakim to be the deep threat in 3 man lineups. Dont forget we also have Ronnie and Mcmike and only one ball. As for OLB, I love Zach and Crowder but Spragan is just a solid backup. My priority would be
OLB
D-line....OLD
CB always need depth
O Line- Not higher on the list b/c of the way the line coach takes lemons and makes lemonade

So just because he wont be a "big help" this year we should pass on him even though in two maybe three yers he'll be a "big help"?

On the Dline, I think the major need is NT (see my thread also on this forum). That's where the major age issue is.

OLB glares at us because we lost Seau and we need someone complimentary on the other side to keep folks from double teaming Taylor. Spragen and Hodge are good but not special. Also one of the value picks at 16 would be an OLB like Greenway.

We have two good WR's but the rest are??????? We are an injury away from seeing the remaining WR getting triple teamed. Only a first round WR is likely to help this year and thus Santonio Holmes and Chad Jackson are attractive possibilities.

I don't see a value guy at 16 for the Oline. You either have Ferguson who will go in the top 5-10 picks or lots of folks at the end of the first round, beginning of the second.

Dbacks are another deep group with guys falling around 16 on lots of draft boards. Given Saban's preferences for Dbacks that remains a major possibility.

At least that's what I think

Motion said:

my bad. I typed it in a hurry so i didn't think to see waht i was writing or bother rereading it. i meant to say that since we didn't really haev a SOLB or a good one should i say, the whole purpose of puttin JT out there to confuse the off and make him more affective was kidna going to waste b/c the other team woudl audible or motion out and make JT go into COverage instead of what the play was intended to do but if we have a SOLB ala LA then if they try to do that with JT then they still have LA coming from the other side but they wont do that b/c they dont know which of the 2 is actually rushing the QB and hwich is going into coverage

one reason is Saban said OLB is a need...even though miami had 49 sacks last season many came from the DL where older players had very good years.
The concept of the Defense is to get pressure from the OLB and other then taylor the OLB'ers did contribute much.

As for a WR I just think that historically you dont get much out of the WR as a rookie.
DB's yes its a deep class however their are many what I think are boom or bust type guys as example: A. Cromartie he has played 1 game in 2 years
1 game!!! and many want him drafted 16th overall?
I understand he has great talent but everything must be relative,,,their are other CB's that can be had in rounds 3-4 that can come in and contribute
remember Madison & Surtain were both 2nd rnd picks and two current dolphins were picked in later rounds (Daniels & Poole)

Bowl_Bound said:
OLB
D-line....OLD
CB always need depth

No our O-line coach takes Watermelons and makes Lemonade....he's a miracle worker

My needs go

OLB
WR
S
DL
CB

OLB is a glaring hole on our team as is a Safety. I look at WR as a position we need to add depth and talent,but its not a glaring hole on our team. It goes without saying that saban will pick whatever player has the best value to our team, but i would have to think our first pick would be either of those positions also including CB(another obvious position we could upgrade)

Back
Top Bottom