Question: Why is OLB such a need? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question: Why is OLB such a need?

Motion said:
Well Saban tends to agree with us people that think we need WR help, we are one injury away from a major issue at WR.

Actually, Saban indicated that there was a need at WR and that this need was addressed (evidently he was referring to Kelly Campbell).

The fact is, draft wise, the odds are against getting a WR, even in round 1, who will step in and become a top #3 threat in his rookie season.

I believe the reason we are looking at OLB is b/c the OLB/DE position is a "high impact" spot in the kind of defense that Saban runs (going back to LT and McGinist, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, etc.). What Saban wants is players who can do serious damage up front - either by wreaking havoc in the offensive backfield or by playing smart D and making a big INT or fumble recovery.

As far as JT's use - JT was used very effectively. He was a Pro Bowl player. He wasn't your straight rusher who got 18 sacks, but he was very productive considering it was his first year at that flex position (DE/OLB) and the D performed very well.

MiamiMan147 said:
Seems like 50% of the posters here seem to think that the biggest need on the team is OLB. While that's a spot it would be nice to upgrade, I just don't see why its a bigger need than DB, OG/C, or WR. An LB core that features Zack, Crowder, and Spragan (+JT in 3-4) is pretty good. Spragan may not be a Probowler, but he's a solid guy. Our pass rush was already one of the best in the league (2nd behind Seattle in sacks), so its not like we have to add another blitzer opposite Taylor. Meanwhile our secondary is comprised entirely of other team's castoffs, our OL still has Seth McKinney penciled in as the starter, and our 3rd WR is Wes Welker.

Can anybody give me a good reason why we need another LB more than we need someone at the above positions?

Junior Saou is gone thats why. We need depth if anything behind Spragan. However I feel we are picking up a WR. Holmes is my guess, I would be happy with him, Moss, or Jackson in that order.

Back
Top Bottom