Questions about 2007 being an non salary cap year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Questions about 2007 being an non salary cap year

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm no capologist. I come on here and read what Clumpy says and bank on it.

With that said, I keep reading that 2007 will be an un-capped year. Meaning that there will be no salary cap. Can someone explain what this means in lay man's terms? What are the implications? Does that mean, we can sing anyone at any value for the 2007 season? Obviously if it does, it means that in 2008 those players' salary will need to come back to earth.

HELP!

If there is no collective bargaining agreement extension by March, the players union has said they will let the current agreement expire. If that happens, the 2006 season will be the final year of the salary cap. Starting in 2007, any team could spend any amount on player salaries. This would distort the competitive balance in favor of large market teams -- especially the New York teams, New England, Washington, Dallas, and Miami. It would also extend the period for free agency from four years to six and eliminate the league-minimum player salary.

It is in the best interests of the players, owners, and league to get the deal extended. However, the players are getting a bit greedy with some of their demands, and the owners are at war with each other over what their stance should be entering the talks.

The owners are all in a tustle about "revenue Sharing". Basically they want the bigger clubs to give money to the smaller ones. Guys like Jerry jones are refusing becasue he says he works hard for his Ad money and he wants to keep it.

The players and the owners know that the cap will be expanded by counting Advertising and endoresement revenue. But the disagreement is about how much it will be shared. This will not even be addressed until the owners iron out the revenue sharing.

Finally the last agenda is the restrictions on rookie contracts. Players and owners want it limited. Neither feel they should give huge contracts to unproved talents. The ones opposed are the agents. Expect restrictions on contract length, signing bonuses, and overall money.

Also on the agenda are: Loyalty Clauses, and Cap cheating (Banner and the eagles with likely to be earned incentives),

It is in the best interests of both the league and the players to compromise and get this ironed out. Football has been on the rise ever since the cap was put in place. Teams have started to learn how to stay competative and at the same time avoid cap hell. Most teams in the league are competative, and attendance is at an all time high. Also there are the Billion dollar TV contracts.

Hmmmm. I hope they get it ironed out for the leagues sake. But, as one of the big money big market teams, I'd be all for no cap for at least a year.

Back
Top Bottom