RB Kenyan Drake had a huge game against the Broncos

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Dec 4, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

• [​IMG]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-rb-kenyan-drake-had-a-huge-game-against-the-broncos

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

The pass blocking is impressive. Something Ajayi didn't care to do before he was traded. I don't think Drake can be a bell cow unless he puts on a lot more muscle but I do like that he runs hard every time. He has a nice jump cut and his acceleration is his biggest asset.

I actually thought Sinorice Perry ran well yesterday too, in his limited action.

3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

106 of his 120 yards after contact? what?

hard to do when you go untouched for 42 yards

rickd13 likes this.
  4. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

The question I have is what did Joseph do to their defense? Didn't they have a great defense last year? If Burke is following Joseph's lead then what does that say about our defensive strategy? Normally our offense sucks and really struggles. You have to be pretty damn bad to make us look so good.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

broncos run d has been bad all year...they were missing talib and put a safety in the nickel slot...I'm surprised we didn't expose that more

plus that team has thrown in the towel...too much on the d qb sucking the life out of the rest of the roster...unlike us they know how to lose when they should...

von miller will get his sack per game and they will either acquire a qb with a top pick or sign a top free agent. I'd bet on the latter

6. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

He was definitely touched on that 42 yarder. He stiff armed a guy

Was actually touched right at the line and then broke a tackle by 54

7. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Come on Hoops don't be like that. Of course everything you've posted is valid. But give the kid some props. He's shown more than some people thought he was capable of and appears to be able to do more with more touches and experience.

Ray R likes this.
  8. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Denver's run d has only been bad on the road where they give up about 43 yards more than they do at home. Overall they still give up under 100 yards rushing per game.

Ray R and ANUFan like this.
  9. Notso

Notso Well-Known Member

I've seen him absolutely light up some D linemen in pass pro...

10. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Not to take anything away from Drake who I really like but when you take that 42 yard run away(I know you can't) he had 78 yards on the other 22 carries=3.5 ypa
    Again, is not putting him down but it shows how that O-line needs a lot of help. Plenty of times he got hit at or behind the LOS

Ozzy rules!!

11. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 pofo mofo

I'm no scout, but I thought Drake played great.

Two things I didn't agree with:

How can anyone downplay the 42 yard run? I thought it was awesome, I'm not sure he wasn't touched in the first hole where he juked a guy coming straight through, but if not he certainly was touched within about 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

So now we take our backs best run away every game to see what they averaged? Got news for you, no back gives you straight 4 yards a carry every game. I would hesitate to guess if you took EVERY backs longest run of every game ( for maths sake, if a back ran 20 times and had a long of 20, that would take his average down a full yard) you'd have a bunch of backs averaging under 4 yards a carry.

106 after contact is impressive, at least to me, I love to watch him run, it's better than watching Cutler throw.

Spiff, JakeemThe Dream, Ray R and 2 others like this.
  12. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 pofo mofo

Take away these runs:

Lynch had a 51. So 16 for 50
    Ingram had a 72 so 13 att for 13 yards otherwise lol
    Fournette had a 24 so 19 att for 33 yards...

I mean it's ridiculous to throw a backs long run out, ridiculous. It shows nothing. My opinion Drake is a great number 2 in my mind. I always like my number one to be a bruiser and Drake can easily carry the load if needed.

Travis34, Ray R, Stoobz and 3 others like this.
  13. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Like I said on my post which I guess you didn't read all the way, I wasn't putting him down. I said the OLINE needs a lot of help and I said he was getting hit at or behind the LOS plenty of times. I know we can't take away his best run but I was just pointing out that our run game is still not very good and it has not being consistent all year. Hope you get what I'm saying this time

Ozzy rules!!

14. The K MO SHOW

The K MO SHOW Well-Known Member

All these years we have been looking for a home run threat at running back and now we have one but he is being critiqued . I don't understand sometimes . I remember watching the great Barry Sanders dancing around . At times he would get short gains and sometime loss of yardage and then all of sudden he breaks one for 50 yards . Isn't that what you want in a running back . Explosiveness . Do you want a wide receiver that consistently gets 8 yards a catch but can't give you a 4o plus catch or a guy that can give you a deep one at any moment . Drake is looking better and better in all aspects of his game. His pass blocking was very noticeable and helped Cutler in a big way. Wait till they learn how to create a screen pass for #32, that's gonna be scary. Say he put's on 10 lbs of muscle on the offseason , we got a heck uv a back next year! The kid has been a blessing lately. This helps the passing game too , especially the play action.

Ray R likes this.
  15. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

"I know you can't" and that should of been the end of your post.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Ummm be like what? I was just answering the question regarding what happened to the Broncos d this year the post before mine.

The run d has been the weakness in the d it’s not as bad as the qb play which is really why their season is over more than anything else. O line attrition and play has played into it too at times but the qb play like miamis in 2017 is the major season ender

Now as for Drake’s td run maybe he did stiff arm a guy at the 2nd level if he did it sure didn’t look like he made much contact but the sweet move on the play was the cut at the los to make the first guy miss. If he was touched there at all it was shoe tops

To my eye he was pulled down in the backfield by the first man multiple times and tackled more than I’d want in a lead back on first contact.

It looked like a guy to me best as a 2nd option in a duo which is better than it looked to me to start the season when he barely got a sniff and when he did he bounced everything

I would look to pair it in 2018 with something more true between the tackles

Stoobz and ANUFan like this.
  17. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Gase's philosophy on running backs.

Running back: Not only is Kenyan Drake making the most of his opportunity (120 yards rushing Sunday, 4.9 yards per carry on the season), but this comment from Adam Gase on Friday was very telling:

“I don’t know if I’m ever going to have feature back-type situations. I like using multiple guys. I like guys moving in and out and I like having guys that can do multiple things and really put pressure on the defense where they can’t focus on one thing. I don’t know. We might be out of that game.”

With Drake playing well, that doesn’t sound like a coach who wants to draft a back in the first round. Yes, one will be drafted. But you can find a quality rotational running back later in the draft.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article187960979.html

Ray R and hoops like this.
  18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I would say seeing what Drake looks like that’s probably true. Paired with a mid round between the tackles back.

Gun to my head right now I’d say og quenton nelson top pick for Miami in the top 12.

Maybe a de if one grades out high enough.

I’m struggling with lb considering they traded a pick for Anthony and he’s playing more to give them looks for the future and looking like he may be an answer. Getting Raekwon back they will bank on too and kikos going nowhere

I don’t see corner safety or dt in play with what they have in house

Travis34 likes this.
  19. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

RB is the least of our concerns. If we can get an elite prospect like Barkley in the draft you have to consider it, but I have no problem at all riding with Williams, Drake, Perry next year. We have a lot bigger holes to figure out.

Ray R likes this.
  20. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Drake had a 'can't win' game. Run well = bad D. Run poorly = he's a bad back

Ray R likes this.
  21. Cutthroat

Cutthroat Scout Team

Spiff, Ray R and nick1 like this.
  22. nick1

Very true that's not a bad run D. I don't know where that came from. Drake is only the 2nd guy to rush for over 100 against Denver this year

Ray R likes this.
  23. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Screen passes are only scary for the team that calls them.

Drake had a very good game. Kept his feet moving in traffic and had lots of energy.

I never get excited about scatbacks of that caliber. Invariably it's hit and miss, an occasional big game followed by lofty projections and then not much going on. Drake has been a known quantity for a long time. He's not 21. He's a month shy of 24, which is approaching mid career for a running back. You can go back to his Alabama days and have similar excitement from the fan base after an occasional big play or return. Then he looks like backup caliber again, or simply not special. It's like Bernard with the Bengals, who always teases that fan base with sporadic clever runs but invariably they are trying to replace him, including Mixon this year.

I think Drake conceded he hadn't carried the ball that much in a game since high school. That means multiple coaches did think it was warranted.

Nice complimentary player but if Gase thinks he can win the league via cute swing passes to a back of that caliber then we're in worse shape than I imagined.

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

So you guys think the pass d in Denver with those 3 corners is worse than the run d?

Games I’ve seen of em this year the run d was the weakness if they had one

Doesn’t help that a very good player in Derek Wolfe missed either but I’m sure if I mentioned that it would have been taken as a knock on Drake somehow. Peko also missed but he’s not as big a piece as Wolfe

25. nick1

Why can't both aspects be good? They are 4th and 5th respectively in both categories. It's not a either or thing

26. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

sign me up

27. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

Ya dude I really like Drake. He's taller than you'd like at Rb but he is strong as hell. I really like the acceleration and the fact he always keeps his feet churning. Just hold onto the ball!!! lol

28. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

If seems that unless we say a player is going to the HOF then it means we think the guy sucks. Some people just see what they want to see I guess

Ozzy rules!!

29. CammyCamCam

CammyCamCam QB Coach

Kenyon Drake has got himself a place at the table!