Remember this guy? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Remember this guy?

I am pretty sure it was a Bills game because I met my wife watching that game at a bar. She was busting me and my brothers chops.
That was the first game he started. After opening the game w a couple rookie-mistake picks down the middle, he would light up the Bills for 5 TD drives and 3 TD passes in a 38-35 shootout loss. They say it was the only time Shula smiled after a losing effort. He knew he had something special. We only lost 1 more game that year if memory serves me going like 10-1 down the stretch and winning the division at 12-4.

I remember being so hopeful watching Marino in his first-ever game. The thing that stands out watching those highlights is his movement in the pocket. Marino wasn't considered an athlete, but the man could move. Kind of forget about that when you watch him later in his career. Ball placement was amazing as well even late in his career.

I remember being so hopeful watching Marino in his first-ever game. The thing that stands out watching those highlights is his movement in the pocket. Marino wasn't considered an athlete, but the man could move. Kind of forget about that when you watch him later in his career. Ball placement was amazing as well even late in his career.

The way he played QB was more then just special. I remember defensive players having a look on ntheir face as if saying this is just plain unfair.

-When the ball was hiked, pass-rushers could not even blink, because the ball would be out of his hand before they could even take a step towards him.

-If the the coverage was solid all around, either that meant there were extra players in coverage, giving Marino more time from the pass-rush (Which was Suicide), or he would just thread a needle between 2 or 3 defenders (Marino had no fear, if he was intercepted, he would score 2 more TDs later to make up for that).

-If there was good coverage, and a pass-rusher did manage to get in and get close to Marino, he would show how great his foot work was with perfectly timed step forward, back, or to the side to earn himself the extra deadly second.

-If the pass-rusher actually got that rare hand on Marino, he did not go down easily (He was not a small man), and more times then not, still managed to get the pass off (Of which many were for completions).

- If as a defense you managed to have that very rare good game where you got to him, was able to cover well enough where Marino could not find anyone open most of the game...Marino did not panic, he just got angry, where by the end of the game, he willed the team to either get very close to winning or actually won.

This is why I get so angry when people call Tom Brady the best ever, this is not a knock on Tom Brady, Tom sees the field very well, is extremely smart and is able to find the open receiver as well as anyone, problem is Marino could do everything Tom can now, but Tom is not able to do what Marino could.

Strictly a running QB, slow delivery, noodle arm and stationary in the pocket.

The way he played QB was more then just special. I remember defensive players having a look on ntheir face as if saying this is just plain unfair.

-When the ball was hiked, pass-rushers could not even blink, because the ball would be out of his hand before they could even take a step towards him.

-If the the coverage was solid all around, either that meant there were extra players in coverage, giving Marino more time from the pass-rush (Which was Suicide), or he would just thread a needle between 2 or 3 defenders (Marino had no fear, if he was intercepted, he would score 2 more TDs later to make up for that).

-If there was good coverage, and a pass-rusher did manage to get in and get close to Marino, he would show how great his foot work was with perfectly timed step forward, back, or to the side to earn himself the extra deadly second.

-If the pass-rusher actually got that rare hand on Marino, he did not go down easily (He was not a small man), and more times then not, still managed to get the pass off (Of which many were for completions).

- If as a defense you managed to have that very rare good game where you got to him, was able to cover well enough where Marino could not find anyone open most of the game...Marino did not panic, he just got angry, where by the end of the game, he willed the team to either get very close to winning or actually won.

This is why I get so angry when people call Tom Brady the best ever, this is not a knock on Tom Brady, Tom sees the field very well, is extremely smart and is able to find the open receiver as well as anyone, problem is Marino could do everything Tom can now, but Tom is not able to do what Marino could.
Excellent write up and agree 100% having seen about every game the man played. The last point you made about bottling him up for a while - it was always just a matter of time he shook loose and started to carve up the D just in time to pull the game out. You RARELY shut him down for a full game. The only guys you can say that consistently about since we're Peyton and Aaron.

I agree we could rarely score early and things picked up in garbage tine.

Marino was the first quarterback that I can ever remember where the league had to adjust to him and not the other way around. While, quarterbacks like Elway got off to rocky starts, Marino just lit everyone up. Absolutely amazing.

And watching him from early in his career, I just plain forgot how well he moved.

I get upset when Elway is placed ahead of Marino in rankings because in my view the two weren't that close. As far as Brady, it's just too hard to compare from different eras. I will say that I think Rodgers can do everything Brady can and then some. It's just how much do you factor in super bowl wins?

Marino was the first quarterback that I can ever remember where the league had to adjust to him and not the other way around. While, quarterbacks like Elway got off to rocky starts, Marino just lit everyone up. Absolutely amazing.

And watching him from early in his career, I just plain forgot how well he moved.

I get upset when Elway is placed ahead of Marino in rankings because in my view the two weren't that close. As far as Brady, it's just too hard to compare from different eras. I will say that I think Rodgers can do everything Brady can and then some. It's just how much do you factor in super bowl wins?

Yea, he was amazing. I agree with you on Marino and Elway, Marino had no running game (so teams know what was coming), and still defenses hand a hard time stopping Marino.

Personally my line of thought with Marino vs Brady is if you get to Brady, he is not the same QB, if you you can take away his top two passing targets, but make sure there is little running game, you can slow down the Pats Offense enough where you can win (Last years SB is an example, if the Falcons defense had continued to not allow much of a running game, Matt Ryan failing again or not, the Falcons would still have won). Marino you could take away most of his weapons,, not allowed a running game, brought pressure all day, he still would find a ways to beat you...Can you imagine Marino with todays rules?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom