Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Buster Onley is reporting the Red Sox bid around $45 mill just for the right to talk to the Japanesse pitcher and have won. Official announcement won't be made for another week.

So, they bid $45 mill to talk to the guy. Will end up spending over $100 mill to sign him.

This means two things....
1) Red Sox fans and front office can't cry about the Yanks buying everything. This move puts you in their league.

2) No more EVIL EMPIRE talk when your spending $45 mill just to talk to the guy!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

MikeO said:
Buster Onley is reporting the Red Sox bid around $45 mill just for the right to talk to the Japanesse pitcher and have won. Official announcement won't be made for another week.

So, they bid $45 mill to talk to the guy. Will end up spending over $100 mill to sign him.

1) Red Sox fans and front office can't cry about the Yanks buying everything. This move puts you in their league.

2) No more EVIL EMPIRE talk when your spending $45 mill just to talk to the guy!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687[/quote

Gyroball in Fenway!

haha, such a ridiculous price to just negotiate with him.. but it doesn't count towards the salary cap.

If this kid ends up being legit, a rotation of: Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Matsuzaka has potential to be dominant.

This kid better be the real deal.

Good thing the Sox didn't over spend for older guys like Damon and Pedro.

Now all Theo and Co have to do is sign Gagne and maybe someone like a Mulder to be 5th starter, maybe JD Drew to play RF and CF and a few more pen arms and this team might be pretty good next year.

Hmm... was hoping the Yanks got him but thats quite the pricetag.

Ray Finkle said:

Now all Theo and Co have to do is sign Gagne and maybe someone like a Mulder to be 5th starter, maybe JD Drew to play RF and CF and a few more pen arms and this team might be pretty good next year.

I think Gagne will stay in LA

And You can have JD Drew

Do they even need a 5th starter? Won't Papelbon be in the rotation?

Chavez Ravine said:
I think Gagne will stay in LA

And You can have JD Drew

Do they even need a 5th starter? Won't Papelbon be in the rotation?

You can never have too much pitching. Right now the rotation is: Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Mataskue, and Wakefield. Lester probably won't be healthy enough to pitch this year but his health is more important than baseball.

The Sox need a lot of pen help. I'm really hoping they sign Gagne.

After seeig what Ryan Howard did to Japanese pitching I think I would pass on any pitchers from Japan. :lol:

MikeO said:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

For a guy who's always complaining about people with "second city" attitudes (and admittedly, you're usually right about that), those are two awfully hypocritical points on the story.

And Ray, Matsukue? :lol:

That's the best butchering I've seen of a name in a while. And my last name's Gattegno. :lol:

Either way, big boon for the Sox if this is true. Beckett will probably improve some in his second year in the AL, even if he'll never bottle October 2003 for good, but Schilling, Beckett, and Matsuzaka is a hell of a top three. Just keep in mind, winning the posting DOES NOT mean Matsuzaka will automatically be in scarlet hosiery next season. First, Seibu has to accept the bid (which they will, but it's worth noting), and second, they actually have to work out a contract with him. So if it's a 4-year, $48 million, which is a safe estimate, it's really like a 4/$93 contract if the bid really was $45 million. Wow...

...where was that money when John Henry owned the Marlins?

Roman529 said:
After seeig what Ryan Howard did to Japanese pitching I think I would pass on any pitchers from Japan. :lol:

Ryan Howard made Americans, Canadians, Domincians, Puerto Ricans, etc look foolish this year. You can't generalize like that.

With those comments, the MLB teams start looking in the Middle East or Africa for pitchers now I guess.

RWhitney014 said:
For a guy who's always complaining about people with "second city" attitudes (and admittedly, you're usually right about that), those are two awfully hypocritical points on the story.

And Ray, Matsukue? :lol:

That's the best butchering I've seen of a name in a while. And my last name's Gattegno. :lol:

Either way, big boon for the Sox if this is true. Beckett will probably improve some in his second year in the AL, even if he'll never bottle October 2003 for good, but Schilling, Beckett, and Matsuzaka is a hell of a top three. Just keep in mind, winning the posting DOES NOT mean Matsuzaka will automatically be in scarlet hosiery next season. First, Seibu has to accept the bid (which they will, but it's worth noting), and second, they actually have to work out a contract with him. So if it's a 4-year, $48 million, which is a safe estimate, it's really like a 4/$93 contract if the bid really was $45 million. Wow...

...where was that money when John Henry owned the Marlins?

I never said I was a spelling bee champ. :lol:

I need to start working on that spelling. It's just to screw me everytime and I don't think it's too PC to call him the Japanese pitcher much longer.

I 100% agree with everything else you wrote.

And of course those were 2 hypocritical points. The Red Sox made news and got someone who Yankees fans wanted so of course they're going to try and put down the Sox. It's natural with the rivary.

Roman529 said:

You mean David wright and Jose Reyes!!!!!:wink:

Ray Finkle said:

I would stay away from JD Drew. Why do you want that clown. He's never healthy

FaninPatsyLand said:
Gyroball in Fenway!

haha, such a ridiculous price to just negotiate with him.. but it doesn't count towards the salary cap.

If this kid ends up being legit, a rotation of: Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Matsuzaka has potential to be dominant.

I know you will think it's just me hating on the Sox, but that rotation doesn't put fear into anyone and everything must fall just the right way for them to be dominant. Schilling is good, no doubt. But he is a year older and he could hit that wall anytime that old pitchers do. Papelbon will go from throwing 1 inning to 5 or 6 and he ended last year on a major down-note. Beckett......please. This guy has had a good 3 month run his entire MLB career. Granted it came at the right time, but I'm not sold on him being great. He is average at best. And with the Jap guy who knows what you will get.

Hey, the Yanks staff isn't much better I know. But the Sox staff I wouldnt feel safe with or think they have the potential to be dominant. That is a lot of stars lining up the right way for that to happen. We will see though, that is why they play the games

MikeO said:
I know you will think it's just me hating on the Sox, but that rotation doesn't put fear into anyone and everything must fall just the right way for them to be dominant. Schilling is good, no doubt. But he is a year older and he could hit that wall anytime that old pitchers do. Papelbon will go from throwing 1 inning to 5 or 6 and he ended last year on a major down-note. Beckett......please. This guy has had a good 3 month run his entire MLB career. Granted it came at the right time, but I'm not sold on him being great. He is average at best. And with the Jap guy who knows what you will get.

Hey, the Yanks staff isn't much better I know. But the Sox staff I wouldnt feel safe with or think they have the potential to be dominant. That is a lot of stars lining up the right way for that to happen. We will see though, that is why they play the games

Exactly. On paper the rotation of Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Mats and Wakefield have to be considered the best in the AL East, but then again Chicago White Sox had the best rotation on paper in the Central last year and didn't make the playoffs. I think both Papelbon and Beckett will be fine this year. In fact I'm worried about Schilling more than Beckett or Papelbon due to his age.

I do think the Sox staff has the potential to be dominant though. And am excited to see them pitch.

Back
Top Bottom