Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins

If he wasnt in shape probably should have waited to sign him after week One I suppose.

Get him in now and start the conditioning internally I guess.

10 pounds is nothing.... He will probably be ready by week 2-3ish.

I know Gase has developed a relationship with Coach Spo. Time to use those resources and get Ray Allen in here to introduce him to his diet and workout regimen.

Good points. I should have been more specific. I was referring more to the 4-2-5, where you have a third safety in a hybrid S/LB role, sometimes called the husky. You see this more in college these days to get speed on the field even in a base package. With neither TJ nor Reshad having great range, but being among the 11 best defenders we have, I could see sacrificing a LB to get two SS on the field, with Nate Allen responsible for the back end. I didn't mean the standard nickel or dime packages. I think if we are creative, we could have this hybrid type of downhill safety. I am not sure you need the conventional big SAM guy with the weak guy. Jimmy Johnson would set up his D with speed and would sacrifice the 255 lb SAM for a 235 lb kid who could fly, even at SAM. Extrapolating this further, you play two SS and move one LB off the field. As bad as we were defending slants and the middle of the field in general, I'd be interested in seeing two strong safeties when they are as good as Reshad and TJ. In spots at least.

I agree with your point about Baltimore's defense and their emphasis on LB. But I still think we need an emphasis on upgrading LB and having some studs in there. Difference makers are hard to find so I wouldn't mind a high pick on the position, even with McMillan.

Gotcha. NFL teams use this as well. It's simply called Big Nickel where a SS type replaces the slot CB.

Back
Top Bottom