"Ricky Weirdo" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Ricky Weirdo"

HoneyB

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ys-bullying-not-issue-20131105,0,196824.story

I know I'm adding clutter by creating yet another J Martin thread, so accept my heartfelt apology.

Having said that, it's interesting how so many players are speaking out and are unfazed. Here is yet another player. And while I don't condone the behavior of Incognito, I have to wonder why it is, that sportwriters, who should be used to to football culture and interpret it for us, fail to mention that yes, while Martin was called "big weirdo," other players were called names also. Ricky Williams tells us he was called "Ricky Weirdo." Should he have called the lawyers?

Context is everything, and what hasn't smelled right to me from the beginning, is that Martin walked away and called his attorney. He didn't make an effort to fix the situation, or seek counsel from within the organization, or give them fair warning or anything. And he planned this...he saved the voicemail and text messages. So no, it wasn't a spontaneous "I'm hurt" moment when he slammed down his tray and walked out. He walked out on cue.

The timing is also telling. The O line was failing, Martin was failing, and he was being shifted away from the position he preferred, back to RT. He wasn't happy with that move. So it's human nature, when things are not working out in your personal and/or work life, you start getting vocal about who sucks around you, whether it's the co-worker, or the boss, or the wife, or the girlfriend.

All I can say is, I'm sorry Jake Long left. I think if he was still here, we would have had the leadership we needed. But then again, Martin may have snapped later on in his career instead of now. Maybe it was inevitable.

If its the culture of the locker room and Tom, Chris, K. Johnson, Ditka, and the like know its the culture, they wont say its common place. They know its common place in all locker rooms. Pranks. Language. Paying. They are in the media now. They need to work. They wont say its normal because then they would be part of the problem. So they are hypocrites. If all or most the players on the team like Cog but one guy has a problem with Cog, maybe, just maybe Martin doesn't need to be around NFL players. Not use to being around "those" type guys. Most in the media want to say that there is no leadership from the players on the team. Please. If everyone acts the same, socially, why would anyone know the Martin had a problem with the language or pranks that went on? Martin went along with some pranks. How could anyone know that there was a problem if Martin did not say anything to anybody. Come on people. Think about it.

I don't think being called big weirdo is what set Martin off, it was the constant abuse he felt brought on by incognito. Everybody wants to point out that these guys hung out and were pictured together. I'm sure in front of the team it just looked like cogs was kidding around but those vm and texts show that it went beyond that. To be honest Ricky Williams lost all credibility with me they way he abandon his team in 2004. Ricky should stick to what he does best.....what is that again?

6' 5 over 300lbs and he chooses to deal with this with attorneys???? If he felt that threatened and the bullying was so bad, why were there no witneses??? Cogs is guilty of poor judgement and inexcusable behavior. You deal with problems in house with teammates.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ys-bullying-not-issue-20131105,0,196824.story

I know I'm adding clutter by creating yet another J Martin thread, so accept my heartfelt apology.

Having said that, it's interesting how so many players are speaking out and are unfazed. Here is yet another player. And while I don't condone the behavior of Incognito, I have to wonder why it is, that sportwriters, who should be used to to football culture and interpret it for us, fail to mention that yes, while Martin was called "big weirdo," other players were called names also. Ricky Williams tells us he was called "Ricky Weirdo." Should he have called the lawyers?

Context is everything, and what hasn't smelled right to me from the beginning, is that Martin walked away and called his attorney. He didn't make an effort to fix the situation, or seek counsel from within the organization, or give them fair warning or anything. And he planned this...he saved the voicemail and text messages. So no, it wasn't a spontaneous "I'm hurt" moment when he slammed down his tray and walked out. He walked out on cue.

The timing is also telling. The O line was failing, Martin was failing, and he was being shifted away from the position he preferred, back to RT. He wasn't happy with that move. So it's human nature, when things are not working out in your personal and/or work life, you start getting vocal about who sucks around you, whether it's the co-worker, or the boss, or the wife, or the girlfriend.

All I can say is, I'm sorry Jake Long left. I think if he was still here, we would have had the leadership we needed. But then again, Martin may have snapped later on in his career instead of now. Maybe it was inevitable.
Or perhaps no one mentored him properly about life in the NFL and he felt he had no other options. It's ridiculous to continue to try and blame Martin when the lack of leadership is at the root of the problem.

I wonder how softer people are toughened up in the armed services.

The idea that Martin should have taken on the matter by fighting Incognito is silly. Have you seen the two? If you were Martin, would you fight Incognito? If you were you, would you fight Incognito?

I find the player takes to be among the most interesting revelations about this story.

Based on the context that I'm able to piece together, I think Incognito was ****ing around with Martin - rather than seriously threatening him or seriously bullying him. But if you say the things Incognito did, you have to understand that it's curtains if they ever come to light. I'm curious to see more details about their relationship so that we can get a better context. I know that some posters here have shared stories about their own experiences of racial jokes that come about between friends of different races, but in my experience, the N-word has always been off limits. It's just a very charged word, and it's inherently hurtful.

This is to say that Incognito is a goon and a dummy, but I think he probably feels blindsided by all this. Again, when we get more context, we'll have a better idea as to whether Incognito was being an idiot or a sociopath, but at this point, I tend to lean toward the former. If it comes to light that Incognito and Martin were friends and that Martin is using this situation as an excuse because he cracked under the normal stresses of the NFL, his career is likely over.

Summary:

Not excusing Incognito. Need more context.

I don't think being called big weirdo is what set Martin off, it was the constant abuse he felt brought on by incognito. Everybody wants to point out that these guys hung out and were pictured together. I'm sure in front of the team it just looked like cogs was kidding around but those vm and texts show that it went beyond that. To be honest Ricky Williams lost all credibility with me they way he abandon his team in 2004. Ricky should stick to what he does best.....what is that again?

There were multiple vm and texts? I thought there was just one vm?

I think it's interesting that I'm not hearing black players attacking Incognito as a racist, and Ricky actually defends his use of the N word. We have to start wondering if Incognito is the real victim here, being drowned in a wave of political correctness.

I've been a big Ricky fan since he played in college and wrote those online articles.

The thing is, Ricky IS an unusual guy, extremely unusual as a matter of fact, in a good way of course.

Martin is just a smart kid with a well to do back ground. I read a comment somewhere that really rings true IMO.

This probably has something to do with that ex-Marine OL coach and how HE felt about Martin, probably more so than how
Incognito felt about Martin based on those pics recently posted of both of them pal-ing it up

Ricky has the right attitude. I relish, thrive, enjoy being called eccentric, strange, etc... by co-workers, friends, family. Normal is boring. Its not hip to be square or a conformist.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. -- Marcus Aurelius

That which doesn’t kill us; only makes us stranger – Joker (The Dark Knight 2008) paraphrasing F. Nietzsche

Well, big weirdo was one of the things the media threw out there to illustrate how Martin was somehow ostrocized, and the smart kid who was "weird" to the dumb jocks. But now, that narrative doesn't fit. The lunchroom thing, with everyone getting up, that was done before, and Ryan Tannehill said that in the press conference today, he said it was done to him. So now THAT narrative doesn't quite fit.

According to Tannehill, these two were like carrots and peas, just a week before Martin walked out. That doesn't fit the bully scenario, because I challenge you to find one example of a victim that willingly hangs out with his tormentor, and laughs and has pics taken with him. Are you kidding me? There's a guy at work who I consider a bully and has mocked me and deliberately done things to set me off, and he's the last person, the absolute last person I'd be seen with in a lunchroom, much LESS off the clock. I don't know the truth of what's going on, but it's not what was portrayed.

What you have described as "abuse" I have yet to see. Not saying it's not there, but what they've shown me doesn't qualify as abuse.

Back
Top Bottom