Ripple effect of Bills Scouting Implosion | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ripple effect of Bills Scouting Implosion

But, But, people say the Bills will be better than the Dolphins this year. I mean they got rid of Rex and kept Tyrod Taylor!

Bills are in a tough spot. I think Tyrod, while a solid QB, has hit his ceiling. McDermott doesn't have a lot to work with and it's really hard for the organization to rely on Sammy Watkins, Lesean McCoy and Marcel Dareus for the long term future. They were certainly wise to add an additional 1st round pick next year as the Watkins trade up a few years ago has hurt them.

We will see who Sean McDermott really is, the one that couldn't be run out of Philadelphia fast enough or the one that Carolina didn't want to see leave.

I am thinking he will be given a very long leash which is at a minimum three years. At the very least they've started their rebuilding.

The Jets are still a year away from starting their rebuild. Their arrow is pointing straight downwards.

I was interested in becoming a scout at one point and started researching it. Found out that there's a boat load of nepotism in NFL scouting. If you're not related to someone who's already a scout or good friends with them it's very difficult to break into the business. Unless any of the scouts on the Bills know someone high up in the Dolphins organization they're not getting a job with the Dolphins no matter how well they spot talent. Just the nature of the beast.

Most scouts with the team seem to be lifers and in the business for dozens of years. There doesn't seem to be much overall turnover in the ranks.

Here is an interesting excerpt from a ESPN James Walker article: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...teams-monitor-social-media-accounts-prospects

"[Sports Agent Peter] Schaffer had an intern, Aaron Fleiss, who wanted to get into football scouting. So Schaffer asked Fleiss to create a Facebook character analysis of the top-64 players in the 2011 NFL draft. This was before Snapchat. Instagram was a year into its existence and Twitter was gaining traction.

Fleiss thoroughly studied each available Facebook page for prospects projected to go in the first two rounds and had some interesting discoveries, including a first-round pick who took a picture in front of what appeared to be a pile of cocaine. The report included personal comments, number of Facebook friends and photos of the potential draftees. It was sent to all 32 teams and caught the attention of the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns, who both hired Fleiss for future internships in back-to-back years."

You kind of have to build up your own traction now. Fired Washington GM Scot McCloughan has jumped back into offering a scouting service. If you created your own Walter-esque Football website and built up credible analysis over time, then teams would be more likely to look into bringing an independent into their organization.

I like Tyrod Taylor but one big problem he has on intermediate and short passes is that he doesn't put a lot of velocity on the football. In fact, I think if you look at that particular measurable, he's pretty much down at the bottom among what we would consider to be 'successful' NFL quarterbacks who are currently active.

It's why he has to excel at the deep stuff to continue having success as a passer; he's simply limited in the types of throws he can make.

Personally, I think Buffalo will be better this season. Rex Ryan was a terrible coach. I don't know if McDermott will be any good, but he's probably at least better than Rex.

I've met 3 scouts and few people that where friends of scouts. And it seemed that all of them stayed in the same region for the same team.

I like Tyrod Taylor but one big problem he has on intermediate and short passes is that he doesn't put a lot of velocity on the football. In fact, I think if you look at that particular measurable, he's pretty much down at the bottom among what we would consider to be 'successful' NFL quarterbacks who are currently active.

It's why he has to excel at the deep stuff to continue having success as a passer; he's simply limited in the types of throws he can make.

Good analysis of Taylor. He seems to have to wind up and step into his down field throws, which are a thing of beauty. His size and constantly moving feet are probably why. He's extremely dangerous once the pocket breaks down but you can't survive like that for 16 games.

He's an ideal backup QB.

So...Whaley taking...

1. Tre'Davious White (CB)
2. Zay Jones (WR)
2. Dion Dawkins (OG)
5. Matt Milano (LB)
5. Nathan Peterman (QB)
6. Tanner Vallejo (LB)

...got him fired? If that was our draft, how would you feel about that? I didn't follow what they did, but it looks like they had a lot of picks from other teams, so they might have traded around a bit. Anybody know why the owner fired Whaley and his staff? The team seems young, fast, and competitive to me. They always give us fits.

Word out of Buffalo is that McDermott ran the draft. Whaley was informed prior that he would be relieved of duties. Top 3 picks look solid.

Back
Top Bottom