Rooney signs with Manchester United | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rooney signs with Manchester United

He's an astonishing player. In a good team he can be unstoppable...too much money though.

I hate the hypocrisy: with United signing him for 27 mil, no-one bats an eyelid. Had it been Chelsea, they'd have been accused of overpaying.

Man Utd buys another home-grown Star. Alot of money. Anyone who blames Madrid or Chelsea for spending too much, why not say the same of Man Utd. ?

Anyone who blames Madrid or Chelsea for spending too much, why not say the same of Man Utd. ?

Simply because Rupert Murdoch hs a ton of money invested in both them and Sky Sports, which is the biggest sports media and news outlet over here. Also the two biggest selling newspapaers are backed by him as well.

Man Utd have now broken the British transfer record 4 times in 3 years, I wonder when they will admit that their fabled youth system doesn't produce anything anymore... after a freak few season in the early to mid 90's, I can think of a handful of players who have come through it.

Mebeverine said:
Simply because Rupert Murdoch hs a ton of money invested in both them and Sky Sports, which is the biggest sports media and news outlet over here. Also the two biggest selling newspapaers are backed by him as well.

Man Utd have now broken the British transfer record 4 times in 3 years, I wonder when they will admit that their fabled youth system doesn't produce anything anymore... after a freak few season in the early to mid 90's, I can think of a handful of players who have come through it.

I blame Manchester United for spending too much. As for their youth system, it hasn't produced much the past few years, but Jonathan Spector hasn't looked bad this season. Of course I'm biased because of the country he is from though. ;)

Did you know Spector was signed as a marketing ploy to get Americans to feel 'biased' in that way? Ridiculous...

Mebeverine said:
Did you know Spector was signed as a marketing ploy to get Americans to feel 'biased' in that way? Ridiculous...

Actually, no. Spector was signed because a Manchester United scout was at a game looking at a forward (I think the forward was from Austria). Anyway Spector caught the scouts eye and instead of signing the forward they decided to give Spector a chance. They signed Spector, had him play with the reserves and U-19s last year, and has now started games for the first team this year although that will end pretty soon. If Spector wasn't good, he would have never gotten signed, and if he wasn't good, they wouldn't start him. Spector didn't get signed because of his nationality, he got signed because of his talent. Last year, Manchester United also signed American Kenny Cooper. This signing was pretty weird since Cooper has never played for the USA on any level (Man United saw Spector playing for the USA and Spector played in last year's U-17 World Cup). Cooper was loaned out to Portugeese team Academica this year. Of course last year Manchester United signed Tim Howard who is now their #1 keeper. These signings have nothing to do with marketing. I hate Man United but they are just looking for talent and they found 3 talents in America. One of those players is their top keeper, another one is starting to play for the first team and looks like he will have a bright future for the club, and another one is on loan somewhere. These players were brought in because the club thought they had talent.

Umm...no it was originally a marketing ploy.

They signed a couple of Asian players at the same time as Spector, and there was a huge news story over here about how Peter Kenyon left Man United because they had started signing young American and Asian players simply as marketing ploys. Spector was one of the main players featured in this article. The fact that Spector looks a decent backup player is just a bonus to them. The article was never denied by United, and this "marketing ploy" has become widely parodied on satirical sports programmes such as 'They Think It's All Over'

Mebeverine said:

They signed a couple of Asian players at the same time as Spector, and there was a huge news story over here about how Peter Kenyon left Man United because they had started signing young American and Asian players simply as marketing ploys. Spector was one of the main players featured in this article. The fact that Spector looks a decent backup player is just a bonus to them. The article was never denied by United, and this "marketing ploy" has become widely parodied on satirical sports programmes such as 'They Think It's All Over'

Marketing ploy? This is America. People here don't care if Manchester United signed some 17 year old American. Signing some Americans isn't going to get them more fans. Manchester United has some fans in this country, but they aren't gaining more by signing American players. None of these signings have been in the media except for Tim Howard and even he didn't get that much media attention here when he went to Manchester United. The only soccer player in this country who has gotten a lot of media attention was Freddy Adu and that died down a lot since the start of the MLS season. I know who Spector is because I follow US soccer pretty closely so I know of a lot of the players who go abroad but if I wasn't a soccer fan I would have no idea who Jonathan Spector is. It isn't like he has ever been on ESPN or anything. Do you also think that the reason Tim Howard is Manchester United's starting keeper is because of marketing?

Asia as a whole is way more interested in soccer than the US and will care a lot more if one of their youth players is signed by Manchester United. The only people in this country who care if American youth players are signed by Manchester United are those who are already soccer fans. People who don't like soccer don't give a **** about how our national team performs, where our players play, etc. The people who knew about Spector going to Manchester United were already soccer fans and already supported teams so it isn't like Manchester United gained fans with these signings.

If Manchester United was actually interested in getting the media's attention in the USA, they would have signed Freddy Adu. Signing Spector isn't exactly going to get the attention of the media here.

heck, it wasn't me who decided to sign him.

byt he way you say that...but your original comment was this

Of course I'm biased because of the country he is from though.

Is that not the desired effect? Subtle things like, casual fans supporting United simply because they have an American playing for them, over say Liverpool, who don't. That's another replica shirt sold.

Mebeverine said:
heck, it wasn't me who decided to sign him.

byt he way you say that...but your original comment was this

Is that not the desired effect? Subtle things like, casual fans supporting United simply because they have an American playing for them, over say Liverpool, who don't. That's another replica shirt sold.

I hate Man U but I don't hate Howard and Spector so I guess you can say I am biased towards those players. However, the people who knew about Spector going over there were already big soccer fans and most likely already followed another team in Europe. Signing Spector wasn't going to make people Manchester United fans and wasn't going to give the club any publicity in the USA.

Manchester United has fans in the USA, but it isn't because of Howard and Spector. These people were fans before these players went to Manchester United. People here tend to support Manchester United because they are successful (which is pretty sad), not because of their American players.

Mebeverine said:

:roflmao: This post was hilarious! :up:

Back
Top Bottom