Rooney signs with Manchester United | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rooney signs with Manchester United

There are DEFINATELY more Utd fans because of American players, I can guarentee you that. This is a long term ploy by Utd and other clbs around Europe by signing foreigners from Asia and America(America not so much, yet).

In 20 years if Howard and Spector become big you donèt think more Americans will be Utd fans? If not, you are kidding yourselves. Sure they are talented, but they are there because it is a double whammy.

Bodzilla29 said:
There are DEFINATELY more Utd fans because of American players, I can guarentee you that. This is a long term ploy by Utd and other clbs around Europe by signing foreigners from Asia and America(America not so much, yet).

In 20 years if Howard and Spector become big you donèt think more Americans will be Utd fans? If not, you are kidding yourselves. Sure they are talented, but they are there because it is a double whammy.

As I've said before, the only American soccer player who gets media attention is Freddy Adu. Manchester United signing him would be a marketing ploy. If Spector and Howard become world class players, then obviously their signings aren't marketing ploys because they were brought in because of talent.

Manchester United has looked at American players, but I do think it is because of talent. Howard starts, and Spector has played in a few games in the Premiership at 18 and has looked good. I do think he will get called up to the US national team soon. Also, signing youth players (minus Adu) is not going to get any media attention here.

Ice, you are missing the boat. They are signing these players yes because they are talented, but also because they are American and if they get REALLY BIG there is lots of money in it for Utd. Right now is not what Utd are after, they are BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE.

There are comparaible talents to Spector and Howard in Europe but these men were chosen because it presents an oppurtunity for Utd to strike it big in future American dollars. Dong Fanzhou was signed for the same reason. He has skill and if he makes it big Utd are THEE team in China.

They are banking on success 5-10 years from now, not tomorrow or the next day. You are missing the BIG PICTURE. They are laying the foundation, these things donèt happen overnight. They donèt care if nobody knows who Spector is now, they are banking on people knowing him in 5-10 years.

There are comparaible talents to Spector and Howard in Europe but these men were chosen because it presents an oppurtunity for Utd to strike it big in future American dollars. Dong Fanzhou was signed for the same reason. He has skill and if he makes it big Utd are THEE team in China.

EXACTLY.

In a choice between signign an Englsh player or an American with comparable talents, United would wing towards the American one, because of the money that could generate.

However, the Asians are their main priority right now.

The 18-year old Wayne Rooney scored a hat-trick (3 goals) in his debut with Manchester United as they beat Fenerbahce, the champions of the Turkish League, 6-2 in the Champions League.

I was skeptical about Rooney, I must admit, but he just might be the next big thing for England!

Back
Top Bottom